Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:06 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times

Advertisements

Whenever a discussion of "top goalscorers" pops up, people always say Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta, etc, but no one ever mentions Thomas Mueller. I know he looks clumsy and awkward, but that shouldnt be held against him. To score ten goals at the World's biggest stage, that deserves respect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 04:35 AM

750 posts, read 1,064,761 times
It deserves respect but I believe he lacks the skills that are appealing to most soccer fans.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:05 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
In the last 2 seasons in all competitions, Messi and Ronaldo have scored over 100 goals each...

In the last 5 seasons in all competitions, Muller has scored just over 100 goals....

Muller is a nice player, he isn't in Messi's or Ronaldo's league.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:00 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
It deserves respect but I believe he lacks the skills that are appealing to most soccer fans.
Possibly yes, seems soccer fans like dribblers. Muller does so much work behind the scenes with his legs and his brain. I've seen several UK sources saying young soccer players should watch Muller to learn how to play the game in an advanced way.

Plus Muller usually plays in a fairly withdrawn position or out wide, so his goal totals will not be comparable to strikers.

Over the course of a whole season, he usually won't quite match the acheivements of Messi or Ronaldo, but in big tournaments or big champions league matches, he's been better, and that is not even arguable.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Possibly yes, seems soccer fans like dribblers. Muller does so much work behind the scenes with his legs and his brain. I've seen several UK sources saying young soccer players should watch Muller to learn how to play the game in an advanced way.

Plus Muller usually plays in a fairly withdrawn position or out wide, so his goal totals will not be comparable to strikers.

Over the course of a whole season, he usually won't quite match the acheivements of Messi or Ronaldo, but in big tournaments or big champions league matches, he's been better, and that is not even arguable.
Iniesta is not a dribbler or scorer and is much more skilled than Muller. Muller is a player who has a good technique, good ball control and good shooting, but needs the tactics to work with/for him to succeed. He's not a player who can decide a game with a tremendous difficult long ball making rapid transition to a striker to score (Iniesta) or dribble his way into the goal (Messi). To me, he functions well in the Germany and Bayern strong set ups. Put him to play a low or mid-tier team in a competitive league and he would probably be unimpressive.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:53 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Brilliant player, would get in any team in the world except for maybe Barca. Better than Benzema.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,490,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
In the last 2 seasons in all competitions, Messi and Ronaldo have scored over 100 goals each...

In the last 5 seasons in all competitions, Muller has scored just over 100 goals....

Muller is a nice player, he isn't in Messi's or Ronaldo's league.
For an Attacking Midfielder that's impressive.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:01 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Iniesta is not a dribbler or scorer and is much more skilled than Muller. Muller is a player who has a good technique, good ball control and good shooting, but needs the tactics to work with/for him to succeed. He's not a player who can decide a game with a tremendous difficult long ball making rapid transition to a striker to score (Iniesta) or dribble his way into the goal (Messi). To me, he functions well in the Germany and Bayern strong set ups. Put him to play a low or mid-tier team in a competitive league and he would probably be unimpressive.
Iniesta not a dribbler or scorer? I don't think he got that memo. I could see Iniesta struggling with the premiership's pace and power.

And what great player nowadays even plays for a "low or mid-tier team in a competitive league"? Sure, Muller, Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta would not impress at Sunderland, Hoffenheim, Udinese, or Villerreal ... it doesn't happen.

Muller's skill is above his eyebrows. BTW, he has decided World Cup matches, just not in a style you like.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:15 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
Great player, not in the league of Messi/Ronaldo though

Old 08-19-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Iniesta not a dribbler or scorer? I don't think he got that memo. I could see Iniesta struggling with the premiership's pace and power.

And what great player nowadays even plays for a "low or mid-tier team in a competitive league"? Sure, Muller, Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta would not impress at Sunderland, Hoffenheim, Udinese, or Villerreal ... it doesn't happen.

Muller's skill is above his eyebrows. BTW, he has decided World Cup matches, just not in a style you like.

Wow, put your weapons down.

I never said I don't like his style. I just said he's not particularly skilled like players of the level of Messi, CR7, Iniesta, etc, and clearly I'm not the only one who agrees.

Of course Iniesta can dribble, but that's not his major role/skill unlike Messi, Neymar.

Here's just a few examples of some good/great players in mid-tier teams:

Cavani and Higuain - Napoli
Falcao - Atlético Madrid
Totti and Miralem Pjanic - Roma
Axel Witsel and Hulk - Zenit
Giuseppe Rossi - Fiorentina
Keisuke Honda - CSKA
Federico Marchetti - Lazio
Michu - Swansea City
Yohan Cabaye - New Castle
Asmir Begovic - Stoke City
Emmanuel Emenike - Fenerbahce

Last edited by Indyking; 08-19-2014 at 09:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer