Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:30 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times

Advertisements

The USMNT plays the friendly against Denmark in two days. Coach Klinsmann has released the lineup. As he said a week or so ago, he used many of the players from the Mexican and European leagues since they have had a chance to get into their rhythm as opposed to the MLS players, whose season has just started.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Cody Cropper (Southampton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)
DEFENDERS (8): Ventura Alvarado (Club America), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Julian Green (Hamburg), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Danny Williams (Reading), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)
FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Rubio Rubin (Utrecht)

Klinsmann Calls 23 Players for Important Tests against Denmark and Switzerland - U.S. Soccer

Juergie has said that he is keeping an eye on Julian Green, who has been having some issues with his new club. Apparently he was NOT demoted, but the coach was still trying to get him to play with the under-23 team. IMO this is just semantics.

Julian Green denies demotion to Hamburg's U23 side - Bavarian Football Works

There was some online discussion on another site, and the people who posted seemed to think that Juli was not being given play time with the actual team because he was not good enough. Didn’t he score at the world cup? IMO the Germans are being b_tches because he decided to play for the USA team, so they are trying to sabotage him.

In another update, Brek had been loaned to another British club, but he is now back in the USA and playing for Orlando City. In other news, Geoff will NOT be playing in Denmark, so there will be a dearth of hotness on the field. *bummer*

Best of luck to the USMNT in Denmark. It would be quite nice if we beat them badly. I’m looking forward to the results of this game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 08:39 PM

In an update of the oh cr@p variety, Clint Dempsey has just been injured. He hurt his hamstring while training on Monday. Clint is now in Seattle recuperating and will not be playing in the Denmark game:

Injury to USMNT captain Clint Dempsey presents opportunity for team's youngsters to impress | MLSsoccer.com

Old 03-29-2015, 12:03 PM

Streaming USMNT Games

Hopefully anyone who is reading this thread can help me. I'm sure there are groups where I can get help outside CD, but I don't feel like signing up for any new web accounts. Sadly there is no trust in the internet anymore since the advertisers took over.

I'm trying to find out how to stream or Download the the USA friendly videos to watch later. The entire video, not highlights. That's without giving any personal information or signing up for anything. Pls PM me.

Denmark Make Me Holler

I just watched the highlights from the Denmark friendly, and I was pretty happy with the goals. YAY Aron and Josy! But from the bits I saw, Oh crap...do I have complaints:

1. Why is our defense so meek? Fighting in the box is bad and probably illegal, but everybody else in Europe seems to do it. Why were we NOT ON those Danish bishes like white on rice? Juergs must have been frustrated.

2. And WITF is up with Nick letting those goals through? LOL granted he did not have much help being protected by our players... I guess Tim spoiled me. I'm expecting Super-Goalie.

3. Footwork - Still a bit WITF. In the clips I saw, they kind of ran rings around our players. Was Gyasi running in SLOW MOTION? Ooh I just had to take my robe off. It is getting hot in here. I'm not sure WITF, but we need to play with some more rhythm. We looked kind of clumsy in this game.

4. The End of the Game - Did Denmark have more energy than we did? I'm listening to the comments in Arabic. LOL so I'm extra PISSED off since the announcer sounds Egyptian...and pleased. Anyhoo, someone really needs to drug test all the Euro soccer players, but if this was on the up and up, why did they have enough juice to outrun us at the end for that final goal?! And Rimando...lordy.

Now I've complained, I'm going to look forward to an improved Swizerland game. Juergen has released the lineup for the next game here:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Cody Cropper (Southampton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)
DEFENDERS (8): Ventura Alvarado (Club America), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Julian Green (Hamburg), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Danny Williams (Reading FC), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)
FORWARDS (3): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Jordan Morris (Stanford University), Rubio Rubin (Utrecht)

Aron has a infected toe and will be out of the game against Switzerland on March 31st. Hope he recovers well. Aron's current club is Az Alkmaar https://www.az.nl/en/contact
Baby Jordan Morris will be on field as a forward in his place.
Aron Johannsson Unavailable for USA-Switzerland; Jordan Morris Added to MNT Roster - U.S. Soccer

Based on the information I've been able to find, our team has been training in Zurich, Switzerland and will continue to train there for the next game. Sadly that's all the info. I have about the training camp. Fox Sports has a very good article discussing the Denmark game and the outlook for these two fixtures:

USMNT returns to Switzerland with progress in mind | FOX Sports

The article says:
At this stage of the cycle, there is a pressing desire to plan for the long term without sacrificing the present.

I'm actually willing to sacrifice the present. I'd rather see the young players get out there and take risks and do some damage...even if we lose. Again this is America, we are not going to lose forever. You don't learn if you play it safe. So I'm supportive of Juergs as he does what he sees fit with the players.

Q&A: Klinsmann Plans for Switzerland and Discusses MNT Player Pool - U.S. Soccer

My next posts will be about the new-to-me players: William Y. et al. William is interesting to me because he looks like 100% lechero gringo, but he grew up in Mexico.

As he's a guero and a futbolista, girls there must be all over him. Ha ha ha. I'll try to make them happy with his coverage.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:18 PM

Today's game was AWESOME! Good job to the entire team for playing really well. I was afraid Shaqiri would do some damage, but I was wrong. Shaqiri is famous for being short yet having BIG thighs. His nickname is XS.
Shaqiri, el "Messi de los Alpes" al que Sabella mira con recelo - Más Deportes - Los Andes Diario

Sadly I was not wrong about the BS and bias against the USA. After we held off the Swiss and were AHEAD well into the 2nd quarter...then MAGICALLY Josy got a red card? This was total bull doo.
Luca Banti - Football Referee

As anyone with eyes can see the Swiss dude DIVED and Joze was just running next to him. So of course he lost his mind when that psycho gave him the yellow card. Jozy should learn how to curse in Italian. At least make it worthwhile. Sigh well next time I hope he can keep his cool and yell I LOVE YOU! or CAN I KISS YOU!...and just say F&% YOU! in his mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQTfjpIFWpc

Up yours, Luca Banti. I'm sure you are practising hard to cheat at the World Cup.

At any rate, NICE game. We tied even though we played much of the second half with only TEN players. Bradley, Josy, Timmy, Gyasi, Alejandro, Williams and Alfredo seem to play really well together. There were a lot of precious moments during this game:
  • Danny Williams chip over the Swiss guys' head to Timmy ha ha ha showoff.
  • Morales dive @ 44:00 - ha ha ha Payback. That was sweet.
  • The Audacious Ref - Laughing and joking with the Swiss team...but being dismissive to Bradley when he tried to speak to him in Italian.
  • Brek Shea's Goal - And his excessive celebrating. This was sweet
  • Our Defense - Basically was awesome. It was good to see the goalies catch a break.

Now onto Danny Williams and William Yarbrough!

William Yarbrough

William Yarbrough was born to American-born missionary parents in 1989 in Aguascalientes, Mexico. He was raised as a Christian and still seems pretty religious. Sadly I was hoping for a hottie fest, but he may be better from the neck down. After reading some stuff on the internet from Mexican fans, I wasn't sure what to think.

But I've come to the conclusion that the negative comments mean some fans are butthurt. William is a pretty good goalie, and since the Mexican team took too long--he wanted to play for el TRI first--they basically lost him to the USA. I'm getting the impression that there may have been some bias AKA racism involved. There does not seem to be any reason they would not call him up...other than he's not a dyed in the wool Mexican.

William has been quoted as saying "I'm 100% Mexican" LOL well except for the part that is American. Just like it is hard for Mexicans here, I'm sure it is hard for him to feel like that but not be 100% accepted by everyone. His family also seems to be some of the few born again Christians in a mainly Catholic country.

William has played for Mexican clubs for his entire career so far. He played in the Pachuca under-19 club, Pachuca II, Tampico Madero and Tulancingo before playing for his current club, Club Leon in the Liga Mx.

Interview with William
And his dad

Basically he's very religious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeeHBCI8R_M

Soy 100 por ciento mexicano: William Yarbrough - Futbol - México - mediotiempo.com
William Yarbrough - player profile - Transfermarkt

Danny Williams

Danny Williams was born to an American Soldier and a German mother in Karlsruhe, Germany on March 8th, 1989. He made his debut for the USMNT in 2011. Danny is 5'11" and 165 lbs. During his career, he played for the youth clubs FC Freiburg u17, Karlsruher SC Jugend and SC Freiburg U19. Danny's dad is from North Carolina, but his parents still live in Karlsruhe.

As a professional, he played for the SC Freiburg football club, 1899 Hoffenheim. He currently plays for the Reading football club in England. Danny was rocking a blond tuft for a while, it seems. His hair looks MUCH better dark and I hope he leaves it that way.

Danny Williams Moves to Reading | US Soccer Players
Daniel Williams - player profile - Transfermarkt
Danny Williams – USMNT | US Soccer Players
.:: Yanks Abroad ::.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:44 PM

I've been soaking up the sun on Vacay and what did I miss?! The USA beating Mexico #DosACero! Mexico no podia meter ni un solo pnche gol? Que paso? kee kee kee LOL la jUSA paso.

The face of the Mexican Goalie after #2 says it all:

It seems like William Y. may be better off cooling it in the USA for a while. The Mex fans seem butthurt. Also Kudos to Jordan. Looking at him on the field...he's fit. One of the hardcore soccer fans at work (not a USA fan) even raved about Jordan's goal. This is a big deal since he's still a college player. Dang Mexico. Ay como me duele.

Since the soccer broadcast people are not planning to join the 2000s and let me easily find old games to stream, all I have are these lovely highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLYUJaJ4tG4

Belatedly here is the roster:
GOALKEEPERS (3): Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)
DEFENDERS (8): Ventura Alvarado (Club America), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Miguel Ibarra(Minnesota United FC), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution)
FORWARDS (5): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Julian Green (Hamburg), Jordan Morris (Stanford University), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

Klinsmann Names 22-Player Roster for USA-Mexico, Presented by AT&T - U.S. Soccer

Forward Juan Agudelo

Juan has Columbian and USA nationality. He was born in Manizales, Colombia in 1992. As a youth, he played for the NY Red Bulls academy in the USA. He then went on to play professionally for the MLS teams: NY Red Bulls and Chivas USA. He also played for Stoke City in England and FC Utrecht in the Netherlands before joining his current club, the New England Revolution. He played for this club earlier in his career and it seems they wanted him back.

Juan is 6'1" and 183 lbs. He has played for the national team 18 times, and as of April 14th, was the youngest USA player to make a goal. Juan made the second goal against Mexico in the most recent match up, giving us the win.

Juan Agudelo - player profile - Transfermarkt
Juan Agudelo | MLSsoccer.com
Juan Agudelo regresa a la selección de Estados Unidos después de un año
New England Revolution set to welcome back Juan Agudelo after lengthy stint in European limbo | MLSsoccer.com

Defender Ventura Alvarado

Ventura Alvarado was born in Phoenix, Arizona in 1992. He is 6 feet tall and weighs 165 lbs. In his youth and professional careers, he played for teams in the Mexican league: America under-19, America II, America and Necaxa.

Ventura was eligible to play for el Tri and the USA, but he chose to play for America. He'd better lay low and hang out stateside for a while, too. ha ha ha. At any rate, Juergs is credited with wooing him to the USA side.

Here is a pic of Ventura with William Y:

Ventura Alvarado - player profile - Transfermarkt
Jon Arnold: Ventura Alvarado a player worth pursuing - Goal.com

Old 06-02-2015, 05:47 PM

Hola Que Tal CD? Kinkytoes is back for an update on the USA Soccer team. Two games I'm REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO are coming up. Friendlies against the Netherlands and Germany. Also I'd like to belatedly apologize for my Spanglish. It is an addiction. Here is the lineup for the upcoming friendlies in Europe:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)
DEFENDERS (7): Ventura Alvarado (Club America), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC),DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Danny Williams (Reading FC)
FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

I'm satisfied with the lineup and it looks like we have the dream team. Petite Dynamos: Deandre Yedlin and Danny Williams. Two of my favorite forwards: Gyasi Zardes and Aron Johannsson. Some of my favorite defenders including John Brooks and Brek Shea. And finally FABulousness in the midfield with Fabian Johnson, Mike Bradley, Mix and Miguel Ibarra who has TOTALLY IMPRESSED me so far.

Uhh where was I? Not to mention Danny. After his little trick last game, I think I'm in love. He's good and seems to have fun on the field. Good luck to the team and here's to avoiding injury. I'm sure the refs will be pulling some sh_t yet again, so hope they can keep their cool.

Miguel I's nice footwork:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug0g_R_SbYE

The Upcoming Games

Netherlands vs USA June 5
Germany Vs USA June 10

Where's Our Team

The USMNT has been in Amsterdam since at least May 29th. Per Willy Y's twitter. No news on the hotel.

Germany's Roster

Goalkeepers: Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover 96).
Defenders: Jerome Boateng (Bayern Munich), Erik Durm (Borussia Dortmund), Jonas Hector (1. FC Köln), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Shkodran Mustafi (FC Valencia), Antonio Rüdiger (VfB Stuttgart), Sebastian Rudy (1899 Hoffenheim).
Midfielders: Karim Bellarabi (Bayer 04 Leverkusen), Ilkay Gündogan (Borussia Dortmund), Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Christoph Kramer (Borussia Mönchengladbach) Mesut Özil (Arsenal), Lukas Podolski (Inter Milan), André Schürrle (Wolfsburg), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich).
Forwards: Mario Götze (Bayern Munich), Max Kruse (Borussia Monchengladbach)

Germany announces roster for friendly vs. USMNT - Stars and Stripes FC

Some Player Updates

Josy is Injured. He hurt his hamstring. Get well soon, Joze.
Jozy Altidore out 4-5 weeks with hamstring injury, should return by Gold Cup - Stars and Stripes FC

Jermaine is injured. He hurt his groin. Get well soon, Jermaine.
Jermaine Jones Ruled Out of MNT Friendlies with Netherlands and Germany - U.S. Soccer

Geoff is injured. OMG Hmm ok I can't find definite information about this, but he did just re-sign with Stoke for 3 more years. He's not on the roster, so hope he's doing well and getting some rest.
USMNT's Geoff Cameron Inks Contract Extension With Stoke City F.C. - MLS Multiplex

Wondo nets 100th MLS goal:
Chris Wondolowski Nets 100th Goal for Earthquakes - MLS Multiplex

Updates on players abroad:
2014-15 Premier League season review: Americans Abroad | ProSoccerTalk

Useless Fact:
Brek Shea loves Monopoly. Alec Monopoly. That noona he is dating has her hands full.

Brek Shea’s USMNT return includes a personal, artistic touch | ProSoccerTalk

Event information for Fans who will be attending the European games:

https://www.theamericanoutlaws.com/e...therlands-2015

Old 06-09-2015, 09:33 AM

The Dutch USA game was fun to watch. We came back in the second half to surge ahead with only 2 minutes on the clock, and Bobby Wood scored the winning goal in the last few seconds of the game. Danny Williams scored one of our winning goals, and he almost knocked Juergs over hugging him afterwards.

In many of the games I've seen, the USMNT starts out great and then peters out. In this game, we started out kind of sh_t and then came back strong. Besides the goals, the highlights for me were Bradley's AWE inspiring midfielding and the way our stats improved almost immediately when Yedlinny came onto the field. We actually had lower possession and fewer shots on goal...but we won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQbOx6YVKSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnt0vU63ZWA

Old 06-10-2015, 08:32 PM

The USMNT won again! I'll agree with the Univision article, that while it was "just a friendly," the second unexpected win show a positive development for the USA team. Mainly that we are doing as well or better in the second half than the first. I missed Aron J. and Brad Evans nutmegging some of the German players. The stats still look a bit shaky in terms of possession.

Alemania 1-2 Estados Unidos: El 'Team USA' y Klinsmann le pegan al campeón del mundo - Univision Futbol
USA-Germany: Klinsmann scheduling pays off, USMNT tops world No 1 - Planet Futbol - SI.com
Germany v United States live football scores | Soccer scores and live video | ESPNFC.com

Germany 1-2 USA: Bobby Wood comes on to score winner against world champions | Daily Mail Online

The final friendly before the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup will be the USA Vs Guatemala on July 3rd: MNT to Face Guatemala in Final Gold Cup Tune-Up - U.S. Soccer

There are two cups going on in the Americas at around the same time, the Gold Cup, and Copa America, which ironically the USA is not playing in. Copa America ends on July 4th and the Gold Cup starts on July 7th. I'm a little annoyed because teams like Brazil and Argentina play in Copa America, but in the gold cup the USA will play the likes of Honduras, Haiti and Panama. No offense to them.
BBC Sport - Copa America: Ten reasons to watch South American tournament
2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup - U.S. Soccer

Call me a snob, but why are we playing the Gold Cup again? And why the excitement? It doesn't sound like that big of a deal in terms of a tournament. Bascially I'll be disappointed if we don't win. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that no players will get injured. I'd like to see US soccer get our team into the Copa America next year.

The good part is that I may get to see the Gold Cup games. Ooh I can smell the sweat already! Well done to the team, these were two awesome friendlies. Glad to have a football team that I can be proud of.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:46 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,559 times
The USA was not invited to play in the Copa America. It's a South American (CONMEBOL) tournament and they only invite 2 outside conference teams to play, this year inviting Mexico and Jamaica.

The USA is part of CONCACAF and the Gold Cup is their major tournament, that is why the USA is playing in that. Unfortunately, as well as the USA is playing I forsee a Mexican victory in the Gold Cup.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
The USA was not invited to play in the Copa America. It's a South American (CONMEBOL) tournament and they only invite 2 outside conference teams to play, this year inviting Mexico and Jamaica.

The USA is part of CONCACAF and the Gold Cup is their major tournament, that is why the USA is playing in that. Unfortunately, as well as the USA is playing I forsee a Mexican victory in the Gold Cup.
Thanks for clearing that up! You've inspired research. Here is a compare and contrast for anyone else who was clueless about these tournaments. The biggest surprise is that CONMEBOL does not mean With My B@lls. Ha ha ha BTW Mexico will lose.

Gold Cup
CONCACAF Confederación de Fútbol de Norte, Centroamérica y el Caribe
Venue is USA
July 7 - 26
1 Million Grand Prize 2013
Unknown payment to participants
2015 Participants: Canada, Costa Rica, Cuba, USA, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Panama, Trinidad y Tobago

Americas Cup (Copa America)

CONMEBOL Confederación Sudamericana de Fútbol
Venue is Chile
June 11 - July 4
~6.5 Million Grand Prize
~1.5 Million payment to participating clubs
2015 Participants: Chile, Mexico, Ecuador, Bolivia, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Jamaica, Brasil, Colombia, Peru, Venezuela
Dedicated CD Thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/socce...le-2015-a.html

Copa América 2015: ¿Cuánto dinero se llevará el campeón? | Futbol | Deportes | La Prensa Peru
Conoce el millonario premio para Chile si gana la Copa América | Copa América 2015 | Deporte Total | El Comercio Peru
Los equipos participantes de la Copa Am̩rica 2015 РEspecial de Emol.com
Copa Oro
CONCACAF Gold Cup raises the stakes - latimes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer