Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 01:03 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,062 times

Advertisements

On man I am not sure where to start with this ...

I look at the NFL crest and see an American Football and I think it represents their sport.
I look at NBA and see a guy playing basketball and it represents them well.
I look at the MLS logo and see three stars and think it represents some star gazing club really well.

Its a complete joke IMHO, "The new MLS crest embodies and represents the next phase of Major League Soccer’s vision to be among the best leagues in the world by 2022.". So half assed white spaced logo's will help with that ? They couldve done much better.

Quote:
WORDMARK: MLS stands for Major League Soccer.

SLASH: The slash refers to soccer’s speed and energy. The slash begins outside the perimeter and drives upward at a 45-degree angle to illustrate both the nonstop nature of our game and the rising trajectory of our league. It bisects the crest to create a “first half” and “second half.”

STARS: The three stars represent the pillars of our brand: For Club, For Country, For Community.

PERIMETER: The perimeter represents the lines that mark off the field of play.

FIRST HALF AND SECOND HALF: The first half contains MLS and the three stars. The second half is an open white space that brings you in and out of the MLS world.
The club colours are poor, they all have their own crests. In no way should an MLS team use them but I am sure MLS will force them to.

If they set out to make a logo thats obscure and unrepresentative they nailed it.

Welcome to MLS Next | MLSsoccer.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 01:10 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,208 times
what a load of hogwash

Old 09-18-2014, 01:13 PM

750 posts, read 1,064,966 times
Looks like a logo straight out from a kid's school project.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:10 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
It could have been a thousand times worse than this. At least there's no corporate logo slapped on.

And I really don't understand the gripe against each each kit having the new logo each match their respective colors.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:13 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,039 times
I don't really hate it, but I don't love it either. It seems really plain and undescriptive. It could be a logo for any old company (Master Lathe Supplier, Multiple Listing Service, etc.), I would think there would be a soccer ball somewhere on it, like in that big blank bottom half.

I do like that it changes colors with each club, but I don't really understand the appendage sticking off the bottom left either.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:21 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,397,001 times
Based on the tiny bit that I now know about the MLS...I'm waiting for some rich guy to come up with a competing league. It looks really plain and amateurish to me. With all of the talented artists and graphic designers we have in our country, this is the best they could get? What would a competing league be called? US Premier League Soccer USPLS? Top League Soccer TLS?

Old 09-18-2014, 09:26 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,039 times
Check this out, it is a great improvement...

MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem | ProSoccerTalk

Old 09-19-2014, 12:03 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,124,126 times
this logo is complete bull****.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:08 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
It could have been a thousand times worse than this. At least there's no corporate logo slapped on.

And I really don't understand the gripe against each each kit having the new logo each match their respective colors.
Because rule #1 of marketing is that 22 different logos are always better than 1 ? Its confusing and stupid to me. Make one decent and instantly recogniseable logo.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:23 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Because rule #1 of marketing is that 22 different logos are always better than 1 ? Its confusing and stupid to me. Make one decent and instantly recogniseable logo.
... 22 different logos?

It's just recoloring to match the team colors on the kits. It's no different than the MLB doing it for the back of each cap and helmet.

Same thing happens in college sports. Not only is the conference logo put on the jerseys and recolored to match the team, it's also put on the field or court or whatever with those same colors.

Main Big XII logo:

Variations:

It's the same logo, just colored differently for each individual team for their uniforms or certain branding reasons. It's still the same logo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer