Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:18 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It already has. The MLS has more TV contracts, on par with attendance, and I believe the MLS has passed them in sponsorship.
I suspected this was the case, or at the very least that it would be the case very soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 01:23 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,664,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
NBA's #2... unless you include college football, then yeah, it's #3. But like Acajack pointed out, MLS's best chance is to knock out the NHL... as America's #1 "non-American" sport. Yeah, that could happen. It is the Stanley Cup finals right now, yet I can't find a game on one of the major networks. Even the Arena Bowl is televised on ABC. Where's the Stanley Cup Finals, hockey's biggest event? On Versus.......
Versus carried the first two games. The rest of the series has been and will be on NBC. Saturday night, 8:00, was game 4. Game 5 is tomorrow at 8.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:46 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,869 times
Interesting article on the state of US soccer.

Letters From Vagabondia

Old 06-06-2008, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
If you get rid of offsides, it would destroy the sport. It would become a cherry picking contest.

Just imagine if they got rid of the offsides rule in American Football and Defensive Linemen didnt have to wait to go after the QB and then every play would end in a sack. Thats about what it would do to soccer.
Poor analogy. It would be the same as adding a rule in Football saying that a defender has to be between a wide receiver and the goal line on a pass play. In addition, you don't see this kind of thing in Basketball or in Hockey... so, your argument fails.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:57 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefish View Post
Poor analogy. It would be the same as adding a rule in Football saying that a defender has to be between a wide receiver and the goal line on a pass play. In addition, you don't see this kind of thing in Basketball or in Hockey... so, your argument fails.
My point was the fact that eliminating offsides would change the entire game and basically ruin it. In that respect my argument is fair. Eliminating offside or neurtal zone infraction in football would ruin the game as football fans know it today. Which is exactly what it would do to soccer. I dont see how that argument fails at all.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:54 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,353,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefish View Post
Poor analogy. It would be the same as adding a rule in Football saying that a defender has to be between a wide receiver and the goal line on a pass play.
Think about the line of scrimmage. This is essentially the case. The only difference is when you can make a pass.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:16 AM

305 posts, read 295,074 times
It is a solid league.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:39 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qazz12 View Post
It is a solid league.
Except it’s not. I had Revolution season tickets for a bunch of years and lost interest. The best MLS teams wouldn’t be all that competitive in English Championship League. It was great parking up front at Gillette and having excellent seats but it’s just not very good compared to EPL or the strongest European leagues.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:47 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,551,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Except it’s not. I had Revolution season tickets for a bunch of years and lost interest. The best MLS teams wouldn’t be all that competitive in English Championship League. It was great parking up front at Gillette and having excellent seats but it’s just not very good compared to EPL or the strongest European leagues.
Some of the bottom teams in the EPL aren't really all that great either.

Top salaried teams in the MLS spend $20 million.

Bottom salaried team in the EPL spends £12.7 million ($17 million).

The plus side for me is that the MLS has improved each year I've watched it.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:22 AM

77 posts, read 35,369 times
mls. do they know they can build up attack with passience and skill. not just attack and go forward through a brick wall basiclly sometimes is just is this european football or soccer. and it is soccer and soccer is boring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer