U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2017, 11:10 PM
 
9,205 posts, read 7,857,628 times
Reputation: 4572

Advertisements

Why cant top flight domestic leagues have more parity amongst its member teams?

Look at French Ligue 1 or La Liga in Spain. It is ridiculous. Its just PSG, or Barca, or Real. Sometimes Atletico can challenge. It is kind of silly.

Premier League and Serie A are a bit better. I think Bundesliga is bad too actually.

Why dont they just make UEFA Champions league an actually league then?

What can be dont about La Liga, and Ligue 1's lack of parity? There is like no point in even playing in those leagues unless you are Barca, PSG, or Real Madrid. It is like College vs NFL.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2017, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Finland
24,257 posts, read 20,407,048 times
Reputation: 11103
Because of capitalism.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 02:10 PM
 
9,205 posts, read 7,857,628 times
Reputation: 4572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Because of capitalism.
That has no stopped small US cities from fielding competitive teams in various sports like Cleveland, Green Bay, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Boston. Even Canadien hockey teams can compete even if they dont win it.

Plus NYC, and SoCal have some sucky teams like the Knicks, Nets, Jets, Chargers, Rams, Clippers,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2017, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,257 posts, read 20,407,048 times
Reputation: 11103
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
That has no stopped small US cities from fielding competitive teams in various sports like Cleveland, Green Bay, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Boston. Even Canadien hockey teams can compete even if they dont win it.

Plus NYC, and SoCal have some sucky teams like the Knicks, Nets, Jets, Chargers, Rams, Clippers,
But the US sports system is almost communist. No relegation of crappy teams, first draft to the worst losers, equal distribution of money.

European sports are dog eat dog.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2017, 10:08 AM
 
9,205 posts, read 7,857,628 times
Reputation: 4572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
But the US sports system is almost communist. No relegation of crappy teams, first draft to the worst losers, equal distribution of money.

European sports are dog eat dog.
Then I guess what I am asking is will it not be better if their system is more communist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Trieste
930 posts, read 905,159 times
Reputation: 712
Blame European Union, the Treaty of Schengen and "Bosman Law"

back then, untill the early 90s, political borders de facto used to narrow the the chance for big teams to enroll the best players from abroad thus avoiding a large gap between the top clubs and the rest.

Once that barrier collapsed the richest clubs begun to see their profit skyrocketing and they became no match for the regular teams.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 05:55 AM
 
15,489 posts, read 20,931,796 times
Reputation: 13124
US sports are communist
Profit sharing, last place gets 1st draft, salary cap, etc

Soccer is capitalist
No profit sharing, last team doesn't play in the league the following year, team with most money gets best player.

But you know what's cool about soccer?
When a small team beats a big team
It's like winning a championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Then I guess what I am asking is will it not be better if their system is more communist.
Fair weather fans cheer for the rich teams
True fans cheer for the small teams .... similar to Chicago Cubs fans
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 08:53 PM
 
3,756 posts, read 4,132,036 times
Reputation: 2831
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Why cant top flight domestic leagues have more parity amongst its member teams?

Look at French Ligue 1 or La Liga in Spain. It is ridiculous. Its just PSG, or Barca, or Real. Sometimes Atletico can challenge. It is kind of silly.

Premier League and Serie A are a bit better. I think Bundesliga is bad too actually.

Why dont they just make UEFA Champions league an actually league then?

What can be dont about La Liga, and Ligue 1's lack of parity? There is like no point in even playing in those leagues unless you are Barca, PSG, or Real Madrid. It is like College vs NFL.
Money, money and money. European soccer features lopsided leagues all around - Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Germany and England are all top heavy. Very few clubs in each league (probably 5 maybe 6) have a realistic shot of winning the title each year and those clubs tend to be the same clubs over and over. Compare the Premiere League to baseball for example. If Chelsea wants to pluck an up and coming talent from say Norwich, or Stoke, all they have to do is open their check book and the player is theirs. Compare that to say MLB in the US. If the Dodgers want to grab an up and coming player from say the Marlins, they need to give up actual player assets within their organization - which could mean prospects, draft picks and players on their current roster. So that requires more strategy than simply writing a check and it also (in theory) are level, or close to it as far as player asset shifts.

It's very interesting seeing teams in Europe cheering staying about the relegation zone, as if finishing 17th in the Premiere League is a success.

You would have to enact some sort of salary cap and transfer rules in order to make the league more competitive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Trieste
930 posts, read 905,159 times
Reputation: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
US sports are communist
Profit sharing, last place gets 1st draft, salary cap, etc

Soccer is capitalist
No profit sharing, last team doesn't play in the league the following year, team with most money gets best player.

But you know what's cool about soccer?
When a small team beats a big team
It's like winning a championship
and you know what?
it's not been happening for so long now...
Real, Barça and Bayern are on another planet
untill the late 90s this wasn't the case at all...

the most entertaining and unpredictable league is the English one, where they share profits...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Manila
1,144 posts, read 1,691,776 times
Reputation: 755
It's hilarious that there are people who call football/soccer "socialist/communist" when the domestic league structures in many countries tend to be a carbon copy of dog-eat-dog capitalism in the real world in ways that make die hard "free market" ideologues smile! I think the only way to have more parity is to actually go more "socialist/communist", which is the way the major sports leagues in the USA operate! LOL!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:26 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top