U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:42 AM

670 posts, read 486,493 times

Advertisements

My rant has more to do with the coverage (or lack thereof) of an important match.
None of the ESPN channels or the local Spanish channels aired the match only BEin and I don't subscribe to it.
I was relegated to follow the scores (the U.S. match as well as the other Concacaf and Conmebol matches) online.
Until the "beautiful game" is taken seriously here in the U.S., it will always be treated as the redheaded stepchild of sports.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 11:47 AM

3,756 posts, read 4,132,036 times
Any way you look at this, it's an embarrassing failure to not qualify out of one of the weakest regions in the world. In the last 3 World Cup appearances they have a total of 3 wins. Needless to say this federation has a long way to go. Consistently finishing in the top 3 of the Gold Cup should not qualify as success anymore.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:36 PM

7,598 posts, read 16,929,560 times
If you cant make it through possibly the easiest qualification available you have major problems. People can talk about Mexico throwing it all day long, but hte blame souly lies in the fact that the US have been beyond terrible this campaign,

Old 10-11-2017, 03:40 PM

7,598 posts, read 16,929,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
My rant has more to do with the coverage (or lack thereof) of an important match.
None of the ESPN channels or the local Spanish channels aired the match only BEin and I don't subscribe to it.
I was relegated to follow the scores (the U.S. match as well as the other Concacaf and Conmebol matches) online.
Until the "beautiful game" is taken seriously here in the U.S., it will always be treated as the redheaded stepchild of sports.
Its terrible that the game wasnt on a more mainstream channel, but I am sure either BeIN outbid the rest or that nobody was really interested because the US should have qualified long before this match.

How is football not taken seriously ? MSNBCSN paid what, $250 million for 3 seasons of game that kick off at 6am for me. I think the want to watch football is there.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:36 AM

246 posts, read 171,924 times
We need another midfielder like Jermaine Jones. That dude has heart. He hits opposing players before they hit him. Most of our current players are soft except for Brooks, Yedlin and Woods. They tackled with serious intent. On the contrary, Nagbe is way too soft.

Klinsman had the right vision but MLS couldn't accept it. In soccer, MLS is the equivalent of the Spanish league in basketball..it's not the NBA. Even top South American players are playing in top European leagues.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:37 AM

246 posts, read 171,924 times
We need another midfielder like Jermaine Jones. That dude has heart. He hits opposing players before they hit him. Most of our current players are soft except for Brooks, Yedlin and Woods. They tackled with serious intent. On the contrary, Nagbe is way too soft.

Klinsman had the right vision but MLS couldn't accept it. In soccer, MLS is the equivalent of the Spanish league in basketball..it's not the NBA. Even top South American players are playing in top European leagues.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:50 AM

5,468 posts, read 6,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
BeIn has the television contract for away WC qualifiers.

We're at Elimination Day +4 and Sunil still hasn't resigned and has refused to do so. That's all you need to know about Sunil. US Soccer will not get another penny or ounce of passion from me until Sunil is gone. I know the poor staffers in Chicago have been busy fielding phone calls. I'll probably be drafting a letter over the weekend.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:15 AM

461 posts, read 434,824 times
This totally blows. The only time I really enjoy watching soccer is during the World Cup and Olympics. They need to get their act together.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:10 PM

670 posts, read 486,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyCity View Post
This totally blows. The only time I really enjoy watching soccer is during the World Cup and Olympics. They need to get their act together.
Me, too.
I like international play way better than club leagues but I do support our local USL team.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:32 AM

11,635 posts, read 8,357,237 times
The big issue is how we develop our players here. I had my son in an MLS academy, and while he had fun there, the price, first of all, was outrageous. I pay less for hockey, including gear. It makes no sense to only give access to a sport like this to upper-class kids. They need to develop a model like basketball, where ALL kids can play at a competitive level if they're any good. Then, there is the style of play they teach them: rush down the side and kick as hard as you can. They promote brute strength and speed rather than tactical play. This might work in basketball and American football, but it doesn't work in sports like hockey and soccer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or