Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2017, 03:33 AM

3 posts, read 1,873 times

Advertisements

break bones and limp for the rest of their lives that's one thing...but if they have brain impacts that could leave them with mental disorders then I begin to question if the sport is worthy playing.

Dr. Omalu who identified the CTE in American football players has a warning for soccer- ban the heading of the ball (at least until 18). Omalu grew up as a world football(soccer) fan...
https://www.facebook.com/events/156734171750521/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 10:14 AM

1,072 posts, read 621,078 times
I've followed Dr. Omalu and just got his book for Christmas. He's a good man and is spot on.
I have the same perspective that you have-- lifelong limps are different than head injuries. I gravitated towards soccer in 2006 while watching the world cup and year over year it became my favorite sport. My kids played.

I would start with a banning outside the 18. I watch the game and see midfielders head the ball for no apparent reason and the ball goes to the other team. The mid-fielder would be better trapping the ball with his chest and controlling it with his feet. In other words a lot of heading is useless as is.

Soccer is different that football or rugby. It still can remain the top sport in the world by removing a majority of where the head injury comes from. It's called "The beautiful game" and "FOOTball" not for the heading.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:52 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,396,304 times
Not heading the ball till your 18 will make US football even worse than it is. Here's an idea, teach kids how to head the ball properly. Millions across the globe have done it all their lives with no issues.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Not heading the ball till your 18 will make US football even worse than it is. Here's an idea, teach kids how to head the ball properly. Millions across the globe have done it all their lives with no issues.
That’s not the case though. Look it up, here are two articles:

CTE found in former soccer players, study shows - CNN

Evidence of brain damage found in former footballers

It’s common sense: let me hit the ball with my head—- a ball that moves at close to >80mph sometimes and think nothing is going to happen negatively to a jello like substance contained in that head? Denying it looks as foolish as the NFL looked when CTE started there.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:58 PM

I am not denying it happens but whats the rate of CTE to people who play the game. Im sure its pretty much negligible.

So again, dont head till your 18 and what do you have ? A bunch of cabbages who cant head the ball correctly, thats why you need to teach kids how to do it right when theyre young.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I am not denying it happens but whats the rate of CTE to people who play the game. Im sure its pretty much negligible.

So again, dont head till your 18 and what do you have ? A bunch of cabbages who cant head the ball correctly, thats why you need to teach kids how to do it right when theyre young.
Maybe this video from National Geographic will help portray what we are saying:
A Blow to the Header - Explorer Video - National Geographic Channel

Dr. Omalu is in the video. Your reasoning for proper heading sounds just like the argument football makes about tackling correctly. I want soccer to stay ahead of these issues-- unlike the NFL (which ended being an embarrassment for them).

Old 01-05-2018, 07:56 AM

So American football is really bad a tackling, you legitimately just have a bunch of fools running head first into each other and calling a tackle. If they tackled properly, kind of like Rugby they would have less instances.

So say you ban heading till theyre 18, what do you do with a bunch of 18 year olds who cant head a ball properly ? Who head it with the wrong part of the head, because theyre pretty much full strength at this stage. Youre increasing any risk of injury.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:07 AM

23,767 posts, read 29,009,781 times
how about if they make the soccer ball softer...more mushy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer