Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 02:27 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,402,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Christ, you two need to get a room. This is part of why the CD soccer forum is crap, people only come to stroke their ids.
Ugh agreed totally. That and every World Cup and European Cup we get hoards of people coming in to rag on the game constantly. This used to be a pretty active forum before the last world cup.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:38 PM

536 posts, read 323,033 times
Who are you guys rooting for , now that USA unfortunately is out of the competition ?

Old 11-28-2017, 01:40 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
Quote:
Christ, you two need to get a room. This is part of why the CD soccer forum is crap, people only come to stroke their ids.
Please don't spoil our fun, we have found ourselves in a good, constructive debate, I look forward to reading WP's points of view.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
How can you compare sports hall attendance with stadium attendance ? Lol . BUT IT DOES NOT MATTER ANYWAY BECAUSE YOU SAID THAT YOU PLAY EVERY SPORT ON A COMPETITIVE LEVEL AND I PROVED YOU WRONG . YOU DON'T PLAY BASKETBALL , HANDBALL , VOLLEYBALL , ICE HOCKEY ETC ON A COMPETITIVE LEVEL , SO YOU CHANGED A SUBJECT .

Volleyball is played in sports hall as is basketball and handball . You cant put as many people in sports hall as in stadium . So it does not mean anything . What don't you understand ? Basketball also can't get a big crowd like american football or baseball but is either number 2 or 3 sport in the world , and is way more popular than american football or baseball or rugby worldwide . The fact that volleyball has over twice as many fans as rugby worldwide , and that there are twice as many countries in the world playing it as there are countries playing rugby says everything that has to be said on that subject .

The fact that such countries like fiji , samoa or tonga play in a world cup of whatever sport and little country like new zealand dominates it, says a lot about how minor of a sport it is (in that case rugby ) and only about that . Nothing against rugby just stating the facts .

Neither football , tennis nor golf are brittish sports anymore . They belong to the whole world now . Just like not all cars are german anymore , and not all books (printing) are german anymore , and not all bikes are german anymore just because they invented it . Stop living in a past .

As for rugby being manly ? Let's just say that bunch of grown men jumping on the one with the ball like he is some kind of hottest chick on the earth is not something that I would call manly .

Football is THE manly sport . It is THE sport . All the best athletes , all the best men around the world go to play football . And Germany is THE man . Nothing against England , if england won then I would congratulate englishmen . No excuses . But if germany won and england lost would you do the same ? I don't think so .
They are sports invented in the UK, they are British, its just that (like many British things) everybody else wanted to copy, Germans didn't invent cars or books, the British DID however invent football, tennis, golf oh and rugby (among others). I do wonder why Germans seem afraid to play rugby, I can only come to one conclusion.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:04 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,134,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
Who are you guys rooting for , now that USA unfortunately is out of the competition ?
Ironically, England more than any. I'm a Spurs fan so would love to see Dele Alli especially become an international star. Plus watching England during big tourneys is fun because of all the whiney intensity of their fans. I don't think any team in any sport is more scrutinized than England's national team. Look at how appalled they all were when they lost to Iceland in the Euros. Yet, um, Iceland was again good enough to make the WC so plenty of English fans and commentators were clearly clueless. You can only play 11 at a time.

Germany and Brazil always quicken the pulse, the two greatest international sides. But I'm ready for someone else to win.

I always root for African sides and Japan and SKorea to do well too. Senegal should be very fun to watch.

Without the US in it (a setback for sure), at least we avoid the annoying once-every-4-years, idiot US fans who will bail as soon as the US is eliminated. They (and the media) dominate the narrative and manage to make the WC less interesting.

Who will I root against? Argentina and the Messi hype machine, he's great for Barcelona and hugely overrated in big tournaments for ARG. Messi fans = Trump fans in their illogical obedience to their Gods.

Thanks for asking

Old 11-28-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Please don't spoil our fun, we have found ourselves in a good, constructive debate, I look forward to reading WP's points of view.
Some of it was good convo but you started losing me with all the volleyball and rugby. And I must say, Germans handle their drink better than Brits (so they make better football fans).

Old 11-28-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Some of it was good convo but you started losing me with all the volleyball and rugby. And I must say, Germans handle their drink better than Brits (so they make better football fans).
You base this on what exactly?

Old 11-28-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
They are sports invented in the UK, they are British, its just that (like many British things) everybody else wanted to copy, Germans didn't invent cars or books, the British DID however invent football, tennis, golf oh and rugby (among others). I do wonder why Germans seem afraid to play rugby, I can only come to one conclusion.
No , british invented these sports but they belong to the whole world now . Where is UEFA headquarter ? In Britian ? No , it is in Nyon . Where is fifa headquarter ? In Zurych , not in Britian . What would the game be if only Britian played it ? It would be pointless and boring . Germans DID INVENT car as you know it today . Karl Benz did it in . His first motorwagen was built in 1885 . He was awarded patent for his invention . Johannes Gutenberg DID INVENT printing , and thanks to it everyone can read a book or newspaper now , not only rich royality . I don't wanna even imagine how expensive books would have been if printing had not been invented . But these inventions belong to the whole world . Cars , bikes , motorways are not german just because they invented it . They belong to the whole world just like football , tennis etc belong to the whole world now .

Germans are not afraid to play rugby . Germans have had many boxing world champions and boxing contenders . And rugby is wimpy compared to boxing . Rugby is just a game limited to former colonies of Britian (Even there cricket is much more popular ) . It just did not get a foothold in the world , not just in Germany . I already showed you that rugby is at 29th place in the world when it comes to how many national federations it has , even less than baseball (and you surely can't call baseball a global sport ) . Other sports are more prefered in the world . Some of the other countries do have teams , but they don't take this sport that seriously , and interest in rugby is pretty limited in them . You know very well , that if sports powerhouses like Italy , France , Argentina took this sport seriously and their best men would go play it then , tiny New Zealand would not be able to dominate in it .

As I have said , football is THE manly sport . It is THE sport . All the best , the fittest men in Germany go to play football . All the best , the fittest men in England go to play football . And England has one world cup and zero medals and zero european cups , while Germany has 4 world cups , 4 silver medals , and 4 bronze medals in world cups , and 3 european championships , 3 silver medals and 3 bronze medals in european cups . Germany is THE MAN . NO DOUBTS ABOUT IT .

Last edited by WestPreussen; 11-28-2017 at 10:55 AM..

Old 11-28-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
You base this on what exactly?
Personal observation in many countries, plus it's pretty much common knowledge. I know the UK is advertising for alcohol moderation a lot these days, they even openly use the "C" word (cancer) as another reason to drink with moderation.

Don't get me wrong, I like drinking with Brits (they are always easy to find) but prefer sensible drinkers. Americans don't drink as much overall but we have many who just can't handle it so many social events are dry because of it. Meanwhile, every German over 30 seems to be able to have 2,3,4, 5 drinks without ending up sloshed.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Ironically, England more than any. I'm a Spurs fan so would love to see Dele Alli especially become an international star. Plus watching England during big tourneys is fun because of all the whiney intensity of their fans. I don't think any team in any sport is more scrutinized than England's national team. Look at how appalled they all were when they lost to Iceland in the Euros. Yet, um, Iceland was again good enough to make the WC so plenty of English fans and commentators were clearly clueless. You can only play 11 at a time.

Germany and Brazil always quicken the pulse, the two greatest international sides. But I'm ready for someone else to win.

I always root for African sides and Japan and SKorea to do well too. Senegal should be very fun to watch.

Without the US in it (a setback for sure), at least we avoid the annoying once-every-4-years, idiot US fans who will bail as soon as the US is eliminated. They (and the media) dominate the narrative and manage to make the WC less interesting.

Who will I root against? Argentina and the Messi hype machine, he's great for Barcelona and hugely overrated in big tournaments for ARG. Messi fans = Trump fans in their illogical obedience to their Gods.

Thanks for asking
As for England's fans being appaled , I am not surprised . They have so much talent , so many world class players , but they simply suck . I really do not know where the problem is .

Yeah , I don't hold it against you , that you don't root for Germany or Brazil . When Germany does not play I usually also root for the underdogs like Iceland , Costa Rica , the United States , Ghana . It is in human's nature to root for underdogs . I was very sad that USA did not get in this time . I have been fan of the USA since 2009 confederations cup . I was really rooting hard for them then and had huge expectations towards them . I was hoping that they could make it to quarterfinals . The fact that they did not qualify this year is huge setback fot US soccer . Just when soccer was getting bigger and americans were the most numerous group of foreign fans in Brazil , something like this happens . I hope you will get back on your feet soon . Good european coach would be a great first step .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.