Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 10:19 AM

536 posts, read 323,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Meanwhile, every German over 30 seems to be able to have 2,3,4, 5 drinks without ending up sloshed.
That I can confirm . Finding someone drunk to the corpse , lying on the some bench in Germany would be extremely hard . Drinking culture is very high in Germany . Beer is national beverage in Germany . You can legally buy it since just 16 years of age .

Old 11-28-2017, 10:35 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
As for England's fans being appaled , I am not surprised . They have so much talent , so many world class players , but they simply suck . I really do not know where the problem is .

Yeah , I don't hold it against you , that you don't root for Germany or Brazil . When Germany does not play I usually also root for the underdogs like Iceland , Costa Rica , the United States , Ghana . It is in human's nature to root for underdogs . I was very sad that USA did not get in this time . I have been fan of the USA since 2009 confederations cup . I was really rooting hard for them then and had huge expectations towards them . I was hoping that they could make it to quarterfinals . The fact that they did not qualify this year is huge setback fot US soccer . Just when soccer was getting bigger and americans were the most numerous group of foreign fans in Brazil , something like this happens . I hope you will get back on your feet soon . Good european coach would be a great first step .
I actually think the US needs a South American or Mexican coach. CONCACAF teams generally play in a hot-weather, possession-based Latino style. At this point the US needs to get strong again in CONCACAF; if they can start winning matches in Costa Rica, Panama, T&T, etc, they can show up at the next WC with confidence. Under Klinsmann, they won friendlies against Germany and the Netherlands and some wanted a trophy. But it hardly matters if they wilt in qualifiers back in the Americas.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
That I can confirm . Finding someone drunk to the corpse , lying on the some bench in Germany would be extremely hard . Drinking culture is very high in Germany . Beer is national beverage in Germany . You can legally buy it since just 16 years of age .
This is commendable. I love drinking - putting on a buzz, the euphoria, the social excitement, the taste, etc. But I have little patience for drinking problems (driving drunk, passing out, getting violent, getting over emotional, getting unhealthy). Germans seem best at getting the balance right.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I actually think the US needs a South American or Mexican coach. CONCACAF teams generally play in a hot-weather, possession-based Latino style. At this point the US needs to get strong again in CONCACAF; if they can start winning matches in Costa Rica, Panama, T&T, etc, they can show up at the next WC with confidence. Under Klinsmann, they won friendlies against Germany and the Netherlands and some wanted a trophy. But it hardly matters if they wilt in qualifiers back in the Americas.
Yeah , frendlies with top teams don't mean that much . Good example is last year just before european cup Germany lost to Slovakia 3-1 in friendly match , three weeks later , the very same teams met in the 1/8 final in the european cup , and Germany completely dominated and beat Slovakia 3-0 . I rarely watch frendlies , I can't motivate myself into it . It is like watching training session . Not much emotions .

I said european coach because they are mostly very fluent in english . I don't think south american coaches are . There are always translators but personal contact with coach is important . Guus Hiddink has a history of succes with underdogs (South Korea , Australia , PSV Eindhoven ) and I think he is free . But he is quite expensive , I think . Klinsmann got a heat after Lahm's biography came out . He basically accused him , that he is just all about fitness , and has no idea about tactics , and there is that perception that Loew was in charge of tactics , when Klinsmann was coach of Germany . While probably not a great coach , Klinsmann was a great forward .

Old 11-28-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
This is commendable. I love drinking - putting on a buzz, the euphoria, the social excitement, the taste, etc. But I have little patience for drinking problems (driving drunk, passing out, getting violent, getting over emotional, getting unhealthy). Germans seem best at getting the balance right.
I have a good comparision with Poland , and this drinking culture would be what I like most about Germany . Poland is like a different world in this matter , I have many polish friends , but drinking without restraint is a big , I would say problem there . I don't wanna even imagine , how it is in Russia .

Old 11-28-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah , frendlies with top teams don't mean that much . Good example is last year just before european cup Germany lost to Slovakia 3-1 in friendly match , three weeks later , the very same teams met in the 1/8 final in the european cup , and Germany completely dominated and beat Slovakia 3-0 . I rarely watch frendlies , I can't motivate myself into it . It is like watching training session . Not much emotions .

I said european coach because they are mostly very fluent in english . I don't think south american coaches are . There are always translators but personal contact with coach is important . Guus Hiddink has a history of succes with underdogs (South Korea , Australia , PSV Eindhoven ) and I think he is free . But he is quite expensive , I think . Klinsmann got a heat after Lahm's biography came out . He basically accused him , that he is just all about fitness , and has no idea about tactics , and there is that perception that Loew was in charge of tactics , when Klinsmann was coach of Germany . While probably not a great coach , Klinsmann was a great forward .
As a coach Klinsmann was a great forward. I'd take Lahm's words very seriously. I always thought Loew might be the real genius behind Germany's ascent in the last decade plus. Seems they also started playing sexy, attractive football under Loew but maybe that just coincided with modern players changing attributes.

Seems that a lot of foreign coaches go to England with shaky English and do well. Soccer is Esperanto.

Yeah, I'm not into friendlies much, just don't put much stock in them.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I have a good comparision with Poland , and this drinking culture would be what I like most about Germany . Poland is like a different world in this matter , I have many polish friends , but drinking without restraint is a big , I would say problem there . I don't wanna even imagine , how it is in Russia .
Phew, yeah, I think they say about 40% of Russian men are alcoholic. Without the much more impressive Russian women, that country would be a mess.

I bet German Poles are more responsible drinkers than Polish Poles, no?

Old 11-28-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Phew, yeah, I think they say about 40% of Russian men are alcoholic. Without the much more impressive Russian women, that country would be a mess.

I bet German Poles are more responsible drinkers than Polish Poles, no?
I guess so . My good friend came from Poland to Germany with his parents as a kid . He is now adult , hates vodka . He drinks only beer , not only that but he tolerates german beer or czech beer the most . He stands out on his family parties in Poland where vodka is a must . Most young polish germans are very adaptable . They grow up with german language and culture , they do not really separate themselves and make their ghettos .

Old 11-28-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
As a coach Klinsmann was a great forward. I'd take Lahm's words very seriously. I always thought Loew might be the real genius behind Germany's ascent in the last decade plus. Seems they also started playing sexy, attractive football under Loew but maybe that just coincided with modern players changing attributes.

Seems that a lot of foreign coaches go to England with shaky English and do well. Soccer is Esperanto.

Yeah, I'm not into friendlies much, just don't put much stock in them.
As for european coaches , I think it depends . German , dutch coaches speak good english (Klopp , Van Gaal ) southern europeans I think stutter a bit like Mourinho .

Loew puts a lot focus into possesion . Possesion and being in charge of the game . Playing pattern offence . Many passes and controlling the ball . Creating your own chances . This is his main strategy . In past Germany was known as not playing that beautifully but playing effectively . Since that new generation , that started in 06 world cup after the worst decade in german football history , the perception of german team changed . The good example of that was in 2010 world cup where Germany met Spain in semi-final . Up to that point Germany was crushing opposition , playing the most attractive football , 4-0 against Argentina , 4-1 against England and Spain was playing ugly football , struggling in every match , winning barely 1-0 or in penalties against Paraguay . And in that semi-final Spain which played ugly football beat great , fun , attractive football playing Germany . It was ironic because , Germany was had always been known for playing ugly but effective football , always winning and Spain had always been known for playing beautiful football but at the end of the day always losing everything . Things change , even in football .

Last edited by WestPreussen; 11-28-2017 at 01:02 PM..

Old 11-29-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post

Surely that discussion is for another forum though.
I agree . I don't really know what his problem is . I try to redirect this discussion on football . I just said that I did not like english fans booing my anthem (you surely understand that ) and he probably treated it as I attacked his whole country which I did not do and he got a breakdown . . I would like to talk just about football .

To Easthome , I really do not have anything against England . Don't take it , that I don't like english fans for booing my anthem as an attack on your whole nation . I have no problem with giving England credit for all good things that came out oF her . I hope you will understand that , and stop with this changing of subject .

LET'S JUST ALL RELAX AND TALK ABOUT FOOTBALL .

Brian H , Back to NE Where is soccer most popular in the United States ? Is it Northwest ? Is it truth that it got much bigger in recent years ? I know that american fans were the most numerous foreign fans in Brazil . And by the way , you finally got world class talent player in there . Its a big shame , he won't be able to play in the world cup . It is the first world cup , that I will watch , where United States will not participate . The United States , Italy , The Netherlands , Chile , Ghana , many of regular countries will not play next year .

Last edited by WestPreussen; 11-29-2017 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer