Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 08:54 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times

Advertisements

Are you kidding me? But yes, they did!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syj7lQIH98k

Old 11-14-2017, 07:15 AM

308 posts, read 237,495 times
I cant tell you how delighted i was at this result.A bit of a surprise but ive never liked the Italian national team.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:14 AM

630 posts, read 525,947 times
I'm not sure why some people rejoice at others' failures, my guess is that people take out on football unrelated tribal beefs. Anyways, I think Italy's elimination is only a half-surprise. What happened to Italy is the same that happened to Holland: they haven't produced any talent comparable to the likes of Cannavaro, Del Piero, Pirlo, Totti, Vieri in recent years, hence their decline. They've been able to cover it up at major tournaments, but just not this time around. They've been steadily declining just like their Serie A. They're still a good team, just not as good as they used to be. Truth to be said they were drawn against the toughest they could have had, Sweden is a good team and a lot of people are forgetting that.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:03 PM

536 posts, read 323,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
I'm not sure why some people rejoice at others' failures, my guess is that people take out on football unrelated tribal beefs. Anyways, I think Italy's elimination is only a half-surprise. What happened to Italy is the same that happened to Holland: they haven't produced any talent comparable to the likes of Cannavaro, Del Piero, Pirlo, Totti, Vieri in recent years, hence their decline. They've been able to cover it up at major tournaments, but just not this time around. They've been steadily declining just like their Serie A. They're still a good team, just not as good as they used to be. Truth to be said they were drawn against the toughest they could have had, Sweden is a good team and a lot of people are forgetting that.
I dont like catenaccio so I am happy that Italy couldnt make it to the world cup . But I also dont like english people arrogance before every tournament and their fans behaviour , so to watch them fail every single tournament is just beautiful .

Old 11-14-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
I dont like catenaccio so I am happy that Italy couldnt make it to the world cup . But I also dont like english people arrogance before every tournament and their fans behaviour , so to watch them fail every single tournament is just beautiful .
To be fair for some while now English fans havent got their hopes up before a major tournament.Most people here dont think we are going to do well in Russia.The media always build the team up but they really slate them when it goes wrong.

As for the fans,yes some of them are nothing but trouble causing scumbags,though their behaviour at internationals has improved a lot this past 10 years.Russia,Poland and Turkey(who wont be there) have far worse problems with their fans.

I think the thing about people being happy Italy missed out is the stereotype Italian in British minds isnt a very nice one,Plus theyre notorious divers,along with dramatic rolling around.

Sweden is also quite a liked country here.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
its strange certain sports have different big rivalries,Rugby Union its France or Australia,yet in football its nothing much,though i hope Honduras knock the Aussies out in the play off,mainly cos ive been to Honduras.

Its Pakistan and Australia at cricket,Pakistan due to many 3rd generation British born Pakistanis going wild and jamming up the roads when they beat England.Not a nice rivalry at all.With the Aussies its mainly been on field behaviour over the years.

We dont really play the same games as the USA or Canada so sporting rivalries arent big.

Football its Scotland,Germany,Turkey and probably Italy in that order.Some from both sides to be honest take it too far.Scotland loves it when England lose at anything,but i often cheer for Scotland if theyre not playing England.

As for Italy theyve had one win in the last 2 world cup finals since they won.That was against England and they deserved it.England were terrible in 2010. Serie A which was the best league in the early 90s is nowhere near as good now.

I think Sweden could do well if they dont get too hard a draw.

Argentina have major problems,they scraped in the qualifying tournament just.Last night they lost 2-4 at home to Nigeria.

Perhaps it is the World Cup for someone different,but it will take a lot to stop Germany.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
To be fair for some while now English fans havent got their hopes up before a major tournament.Most people here dont think we are going to do well in Russia.The media always build the team up but they really slate them when it goes wrong.

As for the fans,yes some of them are nothing but trouble causing scumbags,though their behaviour at internationals has improved a lot this past 10 years.Russia,Poland and Turkey(who wont be there) have far worse problems with their fans.

I think the thing about people being happy Italy missed out is the stereotype Italian in British minds isnt a very nice one,Plus theyre notorious divers,along with dramatic rolling around.

Sweden is also quite a liked country here.
I know not all of english fans are bad . I felt sorry that many innocent ones were being beaten for those loudmouths who were partly source of the problems in France whether last year or in 1998 . There was video where english fans were stomping on polish flag , and they always boo other teams anthems (russian , german , croatian I think ) , which is really disrespectful . Yeah , plenty of polish football fans are scumbags too . They showed it once again during the independence march few days ago .

Italy is generally not liked anywhere , I think . Its hard to like that diving and ultra defensive football . And I noticed that their fans also boo other teams' anthems .

I like the german fans the most . Their doping is loud , yet they are not violent . I was really surprised when I went to bundesliga match , that fans of the opposite teams are not separated from each other . That would be unthinkable in Poland .

Old 11-14-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
its strange certain sports have different big rivalries,Rugby Union its France or Australia,yet in football its nothing much,though i hope Honduras knock the Aussies out in the play off,mainly cos ive been to Honduras.

Its Pakistan and Australia at cricket,Pakistan due to many 3rd generation British born Pakistanis going wild and jamming up the roads when they beat England.Not a nice rivalry at all.With the Aussies its mainly been on field behaviour over the years.

We dont really play the same games as the USA or Canada so sporting rivalries arent big.

Football its Scotland,Germany,Turkey and probably Italy in that order.Some from both sides to be honest take it too far.Scotland loves it when England lose at anything,but i often cheer for Scotland if theyre not playing England.

As for Italy theyve had one win in the last 2 world cup finals since they won.That was against England and they deserved it.England were terrible in 2010. Serie A which was the best league in the early 90s is nowhere near as good now.

I think Sweden could do well if they dont get too hard a draw.

Argentina have major problems,they scraped in the qualifying tournament just.Last night they lost 2-4 at home to Nigeria.

Perhaps it is the World Cup for someone different,but it will take a lot to stop Germany.
Why is there big rivalry between England and Turkey ? It seems little odd .

Old 11-14-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Why is there big rivalry between England and Turkey ? It seems little odd .
It goes back to various European club ties,particularly involving Manchester United and Leeds United , against Galatassary. Turkish fans were armed with knives and their police helped them out as well. Sadly 2 completely innocent Leeds fans were stabbed to death and some more badly injured.This was 2000 UEFA cup semi final.For the 2nd leg in Leeds the Turks were banned but lots of Leeds fans stoned the team bus.

Galatassary qualified for the final and played another English team Arsenal in the final in Denmark which also suffered from a lot of trouble.

England played them in the qualifiers for 2004,and though trouble was less the tie over here had police from a wide area watching it.

It was then rumoured that friendly games between the two were banned but last year they played a friendly in Manchester which went off without incident.

there are a lot of Turks in Britain and they werent popular before all this, even my local kebab shop in a small town of 7500 people has had its windows broken a few times.

A big reason for Britain voting to leave the EU was the LEAVE people saying Turkey might join and thousands of Turks would come. In fact that would be in most peoples top 3 reasons.

Last edited by Ian Loves Dogs; 11-14-2017 at 02:55 PM..

Old 11-14-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I know not all of english fans are bad . I felt sorry that many innocent ones were being beaten for those loudmouths who were partly source of the problems in France whether last year or in 1998 . There was video where english fans were stomping on polish flag , and they always boo other teams anthems (russian , german , croatian I think ) , which is really disrespectful . Yeah , plenty of polish football fans are scumbags too . They showed it once again during the independence march few days ago .

Italy is generally not liked anywhere , I think . Its hard to like that diving and ultra defensive football . And I noticed that their fans also boo other teams' anthems .

I like the german fans the most . Their doping is loud , yet they are not violent . I was really surprised when I went to bundesliga match , that fans of the opposite teams are not separated from each other . That would be unthinkable in Poland .
Wasnt so much English fans in France last year,it was more Russians and in 1998 a lot of it was local Arab teenagers.Euro 2000 however was bad for English fans, and a lot of earlier tournaments. They always used to boo other countries anthems,now its just the Scottish one,mind Scotland whistles and boos all through Britains national anthem "God Save The Queen" as it was written during a time they were trying to save the then English king from Scots,so they hate it.

German anthem isnt really booed but there are songs about the war etc.Polish one sometimes gets some abuse,but most teams most fans are quiet for.

I hate teams that dive,Portugal are another lot of divers,Ronaldo would win Olympic gold.

Very good the fans not seperated in the Bundesliga,although Hannover fans came to Burnley in England this season for a friendly and really caused trouble.All planned in advance. Polish and Russian hooligans are mainly Nazis,Russians train in gym and run half marathons and lift weights to stay fit and are organized by ex soldiers,quite scary the World Cup be played there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer