U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 02:44 PM

10,989 posts, read 20,617,464 times

Advertisements

Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville and Sacramento were selected from the original 12 cities that submitted proposals. The other eight markets were Charlotte, Indianapolis, Phoenix, Raleigh/Durham, St. Louis, San Antonio, San Diego and Tampa/St. Petersburg.

While only Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville and Sacramento are being considered for the next two expansion teams, all remaining markets are under consideration for the following two expansion clubs that will be announced at a later date.

In December of 2015, MLS announced plans to expand the league to a total of 28 teams. Los Angeles Football Club begins play in 2018, becoming the league’s 23rd team, and discussions continue to progress for an MLS expansion team in Miami.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 05:14 PM
Status: "Remember what the Dormouse said Feed your head" (set 1 day ago)

22,800 posts, read 24,014,736 times
i kind of feel sorry for San Antonio, they never get the girl

Old 11-30-2017, 06:28 AM

7,598 posts, read 16,928,398 times
Time to water down an already poor league. They should just let them all in.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:31 AM

11,630 posts, read 8,357,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Exactly. Most teams only really have maybe 3 or 4 really good players. Would be far more interesting if the focus was on making the teams/league better as opposed to constantly adding new teams to cities.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:53 AM

10,989 posts, read 20,617,464 times
Quote:
I'm not sure most MLS fans know or care that the MLS is a lower league than other world leagues. The more cities that get involved in the MLS, the more talent that is likely to come from those cities in the future as more people get involved with youth and armature soccer.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:19 PM

482 posts, read 290,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
In December of 2015, MLS announced plans to expand the league to a total of 28 teams. Los Angeles Football Club begins play in 2018, becoming the league’s 23rd team, and discussions continue to progress for an MLS expansion team in Miami.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure most MLS fans know or care that the MLS is a lower league than other world leagues. The more cities that get involved in the MLS, the more talent that is likely to come from those cities in the future as more people get involved with youth and armature soccer.
Agree. Sometimes it seems like sports fans in the States sabotage MLS. They don't support the league because of its alleged lack of talent, but without fan support the league has little chance of generating the revenue required to seriously grow its talent base.

MLS is developing just fine. While expansion may initially dilute the average talent-level per team, in the long-run the league will benefit from having a presence in a larger number of markets (and the accompanying ability to attract interest from a larger share of the population).

I think MLS is clearly studying the other major domestic sports leagues: MLB, the NBA, the NFL and the NHL each have 30-32 teams, so that seems to be the sweet spot in terms of maximizing market penetration, fan interest and league viability while still avoiding the pitfalls of over-saturation. Considering that, I imagine MLS will continue to expand pretty aggressively until they hit at least the 30 team mark. I'm looking forward to it.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:32 AM

20,535 posts, read 21,175,702 times
Quote:
Major League Soccer lags behind other major professional sports leagues: Major League Baseball, National Basketball Association, National Football League, National Hockey League. Soccer (association football) and lacrosse do not have the exposure baseball, basketball, football, and hockey have in the United States.

I would be interested to see statistics showing the increase of international players from other international leagues coming into Major League Soccer.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
MLS is developing just fine. While expansion may initially dilute the average talent-level per team, in the long-run the league will benefit from having a presence in a larger number of markets (and the accompanying ability to attract interest from a larger share of the population).

I think MLS is clearly studying the other major domestic sports leagues: MLB, the NBA, the NFL and the NHL each have 30-32 teams, so that seems to be the sweet spot in terms of maximizing market penetration, fan interest and league viability while still avoiding the pitfalls of over-saturation. Considering that, I imagine MLS will continue to expand pretty aggressively until they hit at least the 30 team mark. I'm looking forward to it.

I dont know. All I have heard in twenty odd years is the league is young and developing talent. Talk about bigger markets etc. What everyone seems to be forgetting is development of talent. Its just not happening in MLS. Being a young league is no longer an excuse. Any player that had a slight chance of developing has been thrown to the dogs and fallen apart. I just dont see good development of players, and in reality why would an MLS club invest in youth ?

In real leagues if a team invests in a young player they get reward for that through the sale usually. In MLS, the MLS takes a chunk of it. So there is no real benefit to developing players when you can scour the dredges of the America's and Europe for lackluster talent instead that will be cheaper.

30 teams of what ? There is no way to determine who the best is. Playing one team three times and another once, while in different conferences is a joke. Give them top 20 out of 30 teams a shot at playoffs is a snorefest. Since my team won in 2010 I cannot tell you who won MLS because after your team is done with the playoffs there is literally no point in watching. Forget the lack of talent youre seeing, but the playoffs are so drawn out that any interest that may have been dwindles really quickly.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:15 PM

482 posts, read 290,763 times
Quote:
I dont know. All I have heard in twenty odd years is the league is young and developing talent. Talk about bigger markets etc. What everyone seems to be forgetting is development of talent. Its just not happening in MLS. Being a young league is no longer an excuse. Any player that had a slight chance of developing has been thrown to the dogs and fallen apart. I just dont see good development of players, and in reality why would an MLS club invest in youth ?

In real leagues if a team invests in a young player they get reward for that through the sale usually. In MLS, the MLS takes a chunk of it. So there is no real benefit to developing players when you can scour the dredges of the America's and Europe for lackluster talent instead that will be cheaper.

30 teams of what ? There is no way to determine who the best is. Playing one team three times and another once, while in different conferences is a joke. Give them top 20 out of 30 teams a shot at playoffs is a snorefest. Since my team won in 2010 I cannot tell you who won MLS because after your team is done with the playoffs there is literally no point in watching. Forget the lack of talent youre seeing, but the playoffs are so drawn out that any interest that may have been dwindles really quickly.
So the age of the league is not relevant? And the number of years a sport has had a large following is not relevant? Even a comparative lack of money should not be considered a hindrance to becoming the best of the best among sports leagues?

You're saying there's no excuse for the MLS to not have the same talent level across the board as La Liga for example, which has multi-billion dollar clubs, has been around for about 90 years and is in a region of the world that has been considered "futbol-crazy" for a much more significant period of time?

If that's your position, I don't find it realistic.

About player development: this ESPN article details the significant strides MLS has made in recent years with regard to player development, with multiple examples of "homegrown" players who have gone on to see success both within MLS and abroad: MLS' focus on Development Academy has league's next stars shining brightly

By the way, if relative lack of talent is really the biggest turn-off from the league, following the league would actually be the best way (as a fan) to help remedy that situation. On a per-game basis, MLS draws more fans than both NBA and NHL, but it's nowhere near those leagues in terms of the paydays it can dish out because it doesn't have their huge tv contracts.

So here's the irony of the situation: American soccer fans tune into international leagues because the domestic league is allegedly inadequate. But by refusing to tune in to the domestic league, they rob that league of the potential to gain the larger television contracts that could conceivably help make it more competitive with the top international leagues. The tv money would go a very long way towards helping the player development system mature even further, and would also go a long way towards MLS' ability to flat-out buy foreign talent -- by expanding the designated player rule or some similar gimmick.

I think the league will be around for awhile and will continue to get better. But even if it doesn't, I at least know better than to root against a domestic soccer league. There's no sense or benefit whatsoever to disregarding all of the strides MLS has made and hoping for it to fold, only to believe there's some magic solution a new domestic league could apply (that doesn't involve billions of dollars) to instantly get on par with the best soccer leagues in the world.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:08 AM

Where did I say the league wasnt relevant and compare it to La Liga ?

Whatever ESPN says, MLS is focused on growing and getting the hundreds of millions for a franchise to sign up. Youth development is far behind. The youth system in the US is a complete disaster, if you want to bury your head in the sand then so be it.

I grew up in the stands of Irish football. Season ticket holder so lack of talent isnt an issue for me, its what I grew up on. For a tiny country and an FA that invested nothing in the league we still churned out some great players in the league before they were sold. I am a huge Rapids fan too. The bs conferences, playing teams 3 times and others 1 and giving 90% of the teams a shot at the playoffs (ok slight exaggeration) just makes it a snore fest. The first half of the season is irrelevant essentially. What is MLS answer ? To expand the league, and yes that waters down an already weak pool of players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer