Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:59 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
not much better than the mexican league? come on, MLS is better in every category. more teams, more mascots, more firewoks, more sorts of beer, bigger seats. MLS has a guy with a chainsaw cutting logs. what has Mexican league ever done? and don't say winning concacaf, that's not what sports is about
This is what USA wants when it comes to sports, right? Hence why people who don't even follow American Football somehow become diehard fans of a specific team come Superbowl time... Beer, food, loud gimmicks, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 02:10 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This is what USA wants when it comes to sports, right? Hence why people who don't even follow American Football somehow become diehard fans of a specific team come Superbowl time... Beer, food, loud gimmicks, etc.
The masses yes. That's why I'm especially looking forward to this World Cup without the USA. This time the tournament won't be high jacked by patriotic non-soccer fans who always whine and moan about soccer in general after the US gets knocked out.

This time the bars will be full (perhaps less full) with true soccer fans who understand the game and spirit.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:54 PM

155 posts, read 179,180 times
It would be nice to see a pro/reg system. But I don’t think it will ever happen because of how soccer is set up here. They should do with the Lamar hunt cup with what England does for the fa cup. The premier league teams play in the first round. Instead of here, where the mls teams don’t enter until the 3rd or4th round of the cup. It would be interesting to see an mls teams get knocked out in the first round by an amateur team or a npsl team.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:39 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf33078 View Post
It would be nice to see a pro/reg system. But I don’t think it will ever happen because of how soccer is set up here.
Yeah, when a city/county/state/providence/private investor in the US/Canada put up anywhere from $100 million to $350 million (cost of the new Banc of California Stadium in LA) to build a soccer specific stadium, they aren't building that sucker to get relegated back to the USL, that's for sure!

Old 04-19-2018, 08:37 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justahuman View Post
Perhaps when more Americans become interested in soccer? As it stands, the other major leagues own huge chunks of the fan support pie.
This is the best answer IMO. I would love to see pro/rel but until the nation becomes more interested in the sport, I don't see it happening.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Yeah, when a city/county/state/providence/private investor in the US/Canada put up anywhere from $100 million to $350 million (cost of the new Banc of California Stadium in LA) to build a soccer specific stadium, they aren't building that sucker to get relegated back to the USL, that's for sure!
Soccer teams in other countries also build new stadiums. Yet there is pro/reg in those countries. So your comment doesn’t hold water. Yes some of this teams that have built new stadiums do get relegated. But I don’t ever see at least for the foreseeable future a pro/reg. Since the country is so huge. It would be hard to figure out pro/reg. Also the MLS is built as a single entity. Just like the big 4, so they would never want pro/reg anyway.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This is the best answer IMO. I would love to see pro/rel but until the nation becomes more interested in the sport, I don't see it happening.
I also would love to see pro/reg. But I just don’t think it will ever happen here. I do believe that many people need to follow it. For it to even be considered. But also with our country as large as it is. How would pro/reg work?

Old 04-24-2018, 01:25 PM

990 posts, read 880,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Just curious as to what you all think.
There are lots of areas that need improvement, but I feel that, considering it was founded it 1993, it's progressing fairly well. Watching the opening week was satisfying. Saw some impressive plays, and overall the quality was much better than what I remember seeing even just 5 years ago. At this rate, do you think it will soon catch up to some of the top 5 leagues?
May be if they start play the Libertadores de America with the south american teams (like the Mexicans) would help.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:52 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Yep. Never.

The problem in the United States is TV advertising. You can't make any money with two 45 minute halves with zero commercial breaks. Without the national TV exposure, it's tough to get fans to pay big money for games.

I had Revolution season tickets where the ticket and close-in season parking with 5th row seats at the corner flag cost less than one New England Patriots game ticket plus much farther away parking for the seat. It was unusual to completely fill the lower bowl at Gillette. That funds Lee Nguyen and Diego Fagundez, not Ronaldo or Mohamad Salah.

Argentina with Lionel Messi vs Venezuela in Copa America sold out a couple years ago.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:38 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,413,331 times
The MLS or a New League here for that matter, needs to have Demotion , Promotion and Teams need to be tiered from youth to adults to become part of the Worldwide system that 99% of the World's National Federation subscribe to thru FIFA.

Unfortunately the USA uses for ALL Their SPORTS Pro Leagues a system that actually encourages the LOSERS to do just that in order to have access to the best College Players in whatever Sport Discipline that might be..

The Day Soccer/Football in the USA changes their path to the FIFA Standards, we could be Numero Uno in The World in a very fast time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer