U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 01:57 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,691,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
No because the world cup only comes every 4 years. I doubt these pro athletes, some of who will never play in the world cup again, would throw away childhood dreams to avoid political controversy.
THIS! Plus, we all know FIFA has a notoriously negative view regarding political interference in the sport! Not to mention the hundreds of millions (or more) of fans around the world who treat the tourney as a form of escapism and would not want a lot of the BS that already plagues daily life to seep into the tourney also!
Rate this post positively

Old 06-14-2018, 03:18 AM

167 posts, read 86,327 times
I don't know about US soccer, but I think LeBron lost to Silicon Valley Warriors in the finals as a protest against digitalization of our daily lives.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:32 AM

3,756 posts, read 4,132,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I been getting a lot of controversy with this theory wherever I share it and I think is because people think I am trying to blindly defend the US's avoidance in the WC, but to be fair after all the WC is in Russia, so I think adding the political peripheral isn't too far off. Although I think people got tired of the politicization of soccer/football so this might also be another reason the theory sounds annoying in character

Please read the bolded before responding, I highly suggest it

What do you guys think, is my theory off or nah?
Absolutely not. If that were the case, FOX would bring a lawsuit against the federation for the lost revenue they're going to have given the US is not in the tournament.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:31 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,979,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
USA bid for 2022 World Cup failed. This time they are better prepared. Canada will help in sprucing up MLS brand along with the infrastructure. Mexico will carry Latin countries votes. Moroccoa will get few votes from Africa and Asia and probably Russia if voting is strictly per member country. I am not sure whether only FIFA council members vote !!!
Finally, some logical thinking. FIFA chooses its host countries through a democratic process. Mexico and Canada brought more votes in and that’s why they did the joint bid. It’s pretty simple really. The US isn’t super popular right now on the world stage.

No different then the S Korea and Japan joint bid.

FIFA is actually quite profitable for most host countries and that is why countries like Qatar are willing to buy votes to host. I’ve never checked to see if the investigation actually turned up any corruption, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:20 AM

6,948 posts, read 4,279,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Finally, some logical thinking. FIFA chooses its host countries through a democratic process. Mexico and Canada brought more votes in and that’s why they did the joint bid. It’s pretty simple really. The US isn’t super popular right now on the world stage.

FIFA is actually quite profitable for most host countries and that is why countries like Qatar are willing to buy votes to host. I’ve never checked to see if the investigation actually turned up any corruption, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all.
I think in future World Cups, 2030 and beyond, you will be seeing many more united 2, 3 and even 4 country bids.

The reason being, with 48 teams in future World Cups and a host country needing 16 "World Cup quality" stadiums, I just don't see too many countries out there, that can pull off hosting a World Cup all by itself in 2030 and beyond (maybe China or the UK). I mean how many billions or 10's of billions will a single bid country have to spend on building new stadiums or renovating others, when most will become "white elephants".

Obviously the US has more than 16 NFL stadiums that could have been used, but like you mentioned bringing both Mexico and Canada into the fold, helped secure the winning vote, due to the unpopularity of the US.

For the 2030 World Cup, Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay have a joint bid with possiblly Chile joining as well:

Uruguay–Argentina–Paraguay 2030 FIFA World Cup bid

Last edited by cjseliga; 06-14-2018 at 09:33 AM..

Old 06-14-2018, 09:37 AM

3,756 posts, read 4,132,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post

It will be interesting to see the financials of the 2022 WC – I doubt we’ll ever get a full picture. There will be 8 venues for 2022 – 6 of them are brand new stadiums, 1 is a significant upgrade and 1 is a marginal upgrade. On top of that Qatar needs to build hotels and other infrastructure. I am betting they’re going to lose a lot of money hosting. They already cut down the number of stadiums citing rising costs to construct them. They original planned to have 12 venues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I think in future World Cups, 2030 and beyond, you will be seeing many more united 2, 3 and even 4 country bids.

The reason being, with 48 teams in future World Cups and a host country needing 16 "World Cup quality" stadiums, I just don't see too many countries out there, that can pull off hosting a World Cup all by itself. Obviously the US has more than 16 NFL stadiums that could have been used, but like you mentioned bringing both Mexico and Canada into the fold, helped secure the winning vote, due to the unpopularity of the US.

For the 2030 World Cup, Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay have a joint bid with possiblly Chile joining as well:

Uruguay–Argentina–Paraguay 2030 FIFA World Cup bid
No other country can exceed, match or come close to the stadium infrastructure the US has thanks in large part to the NFL and college football. Expanding the field from 32 to 48 was an obvious money grab by FIFA and it will water down the tournament. You're right, we will see more joint bids coming forward given then most countries don't have 14-16 40,000 - 80,000 seat modern stadiums ready to go.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:47 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,979,622 times
The only real downside to joint bids is the fact that every country hosting gets automatically accepted. That 2030 joint bid potentially has 4 host countries. Perhaps in the future we will see larger joint bids from places in Africa or even SE Asia. I can just imagine it, FIFA 2038 Africa. With 30 host countries. Each providing 1 stadium. I’m not saying that it’s necessarily a bad idea, but perhaps there needs to be some restrictions on joint bids.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:49 PM

8,018 posts, read 2,589,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
No, they're just not that good.
Yup, we suck. There's no conspiracy necessary.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:35 AM
Yac

6,020 posts, read 6,861,675 times
OP, please stop trolling.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or