Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 01:49 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Portland was not part of the bid because the city and metro area lack an appropriate stadium. Since Portland does not have an NFL team (or even a college football team), they lack a stadium that can seat over 50,000. I believe the Timbers' stadium seats around 22,000 - that's far too small. Vancouver and Chicago are both very surprising, but as mentioned they bowed out on their own. Columbus has a massive stadium at Ohio State, but I am not sure if it can be configured for a soccer field. The stadium also seats over 100,000 - which would make it the largest of the bid, maybe the committee felt they could not sell 100,000 tickets in Columbus or that they did not want such a large stadium in a very secondary city overshadowing the other stadiums.
With Seattle being a very probable host city I don't find it surprising that Vancouver is not bidding, Seattle is right in between Vancouver and Portland so logistically it makes most sense for Seattle to host for the PNW market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 12:25 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Not necessarily, the Rose Bowl is the only venue left for LA in the 2026 World Cup application bid and it's almost guaranteed they will be chosen as one of the 10 US cities to host matches and I don't see them replacing all those bleachers with individual seats before 2026. Maybe the Rose Bowl gets a pass from FIFA due to its history?

It's a moot point about Ohio Stadium, since Columbus didn't even apply to try and be a potential host in the 2026 World Cup application bid.
A large chunk of the Rose Bowl along the sidelines is bucket seating with bleachers on each end. Many NFL stadiums (including some that are in the running to host in 2026) also have a combination of bucket and bleacher seating.

In contrast, Ohio State is almost entirely bleacher seating. It's a nice venue and within a short drive for a huge portion of the United States population, but unfortunately I think it was ineligible based on multiple criteria. Columbus has no other venue even worth considering for such a large-scale event which is why the city never puts in bids for these matches.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
With Seattle being a very probable host city I don't find it surprising that Vancouver is not bidding, Seattle is right in between Vancouver and Portland so logistically it makes most sense for Seattle to host for the PNW market.
My impression is that cities put in bids individually. Edmonton is the only city in western Canada that put in bid and I think that they'll get to host some matches. However they don't have the nicest stadium and obviously no MLS team. I have to believe that if Vancouver put in a bid they would have gotten the nod even if Seattle were also considered.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:25 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Many NFL stadiums (including some that are in the running to host in 2026) also have a combination of bucket and bleacher seating.
What's your definition of many?

The NFL stadiums that I can think of with "bleachers as seats" would be Lambeau, New Era in Buffalo, and the Hawk's Nest section (not very large) of CenturyLink. I guess you might throw in the LA Coliseum in there if they have any.

Out of the 17 US stadiums left, vying for the 10 spots in the 2026 World Cup, I only see the Rose Bowl (non-NFL), Camping World (non-NFL) and CenturyLink (NFL) that have bleachers.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
What's your definition of many?
More than 0 but less than 33. FirstEnergy also has some bleacher seating. It's hosted USMNT and USWNT friendlies as well as Gold Cup matches. I think Heinz Field has some as well.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:07 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,335 times
I admit I have not read the rules, but please tell me that we will still be able to relive the final day parallel group matches like we had this week in the 48 team format also before we get to the elimination matches. This provides some good entertainment at the middle of the tournament. I know, some groups are already decided, so that does not matter.

BTW - 32% of us voted Germany will win it all - Its a poll on this forum.... *** ear to ear grin ***

Old 07-31-2018, 06:18 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
The 48 team WC is garbage and will weaken it. The multi nations hosting it is terrible too. Ireland and UK are apparently considering a joint bid, thats a 4 team auto qualified, 5 if Norn Iron are included.
Guys I'm confused. Are we really bidding jointly? That would be fun.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:09 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Just look at all those cities whose inhabitants will be inconvenienced and looted so some dudes can kick a ball around a field. So much to be grateful for!

Hah. Just wait for some soccer thugs to encounter the reality of American law enforcement.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:30 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Hah. Just wait for some soccer thugs to encounter the reality of American law enforcement.
Thats a bit dramatic, WC94 passed by with no real incidents.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:11 AM

8,661 posts, read 3,863,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Thats a bit dramatic, WC94 passed by with no real incidents.
If you consider the murder of Columbia’s Escobar (for deflecting a ball into his own goal in a match against the US) as ‘no real incidents’. It occurred in the middle of the WC (after he had returned home), and they made the announcement at RFK Stadium prior to the Spain-Switzerland match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer