Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 09:40 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

Why are centre forward position in association football not seeing players coming in that are as tall as basketball forwards or volleyball spikers?

It be advantageous for corner kicks. The goalies are usually tall, and can use their hands. So it seems to being taller be better because you need as much height as you can.

There are tall centre forwards but they are usually equivalent to a point guard in bball. Guys like Zlatan, Graziano Pelle were tall but not as tall as Lebron or Kevin Durant. How would Lebron or Kevin Durant do in soccer as centre forwards.

Ice hockey has guys like Zdeno, and tyler Myers and Brian Boyle who are all tall enough to play forward in BBall, and hockey is a grueling sport also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 11:07 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
I agree with you... To an extent. A centre forward still needs to have a somewhat lower centre of gravity, as he still needs to have good ball-handling/dribbling abilities. In hockey, Chara doesn't need to do this. He has guys like Marchand, Pastrnak, etc., who are more than capable of handling that load. They are similar sports to a sense, but positions are handled much differently.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I agree with you... To an extent. A centre forward still needs to have a somewhat lower centre of gravity, as he still needs to have good ball-handling/dribbling abilities. In hockey, Chara doesn't need to do this. He has guys like Marchand, Pastrnak, etc., who are more than capable of handling that load. They are similar sports to a sense, but positions are handled much differently.
In the NHL some of best stick handlers are pretty tall guys, especially guys from Europe. Datsyuk, Kuznetsov, Ilya Kovalchuk (who is joining the Kings next season), Evgeni Malkin are well above 6ft.

also some canadiens and Americans include John Tavares, bobby Ryan (in his prime), Rick Nash, Mario Lemieux were also pretty big.

I like to watch my local adult hockey leagues play sometimes. Especially the highest division. Some really tall guys can handle the puck. Their reach seems to help them in one v one situations.

I actually think reach can be an advantage when controlling the soccer ball too especially in one v one situations. I find it easier to do certain moves like step overs with longer legs and certain nutmegging moves.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:06 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
There is FAR more to being a centre forward than being 'tall'!!

Old 07-02-2018, 07:53 AM

387 posts, read 357,748 times
it might also be easier to take the ball from a really tall soccer player.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There is FAR more to being a centre forward than being 'tall'!!
And yet being tall is still advantageous. What more to being a centre forward though is hindered by having height?

Old 07-02-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
it might also be easier to take the ball from a really tall soccer player.
I dont think it is easier. Bigger/taller players can box out smaller players.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:15 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
And yet being tall is still advantageous. What more to being a centre forward though is hindered by having height?
Unlike basketball being 'tall' is not important, being skilful and fit is. Its about positioning and having an ability to read the game too. If all you needed was to be 'tall' and fast then Usain Bolt would be playing football instead of running and Messi would not have become one of the greatest players of all time.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:31 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
My ideal center forward/striker is more agile and speedy than what I think you'd see from guys the size of LeBron or Durant. And LeBron is much more athletic than your average 6'9 human being, so he's probably not a great example because their aren't many freaks of nature like that walking around.

I did see an interesting piece recently about the the average heights of the different positions. If I recall, goalkeepers are on average the tallest soccer players, followed by defenders, forwards, and midfielders are generally the shortest. And probably related to this, midfielders cover the most ground in matches followed by forwards, then defenders, and obviously goalkeepers run the least.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:15 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
The game between Japan and Belgium showed me that tall players have the advantage. Belgium players basically out-muscled and and outran the smaller Japanese players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer