U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2018, 04:57 AM
 
Location: SE UK
8,893 posts, read 7,565,557 times
Reputation: 6201

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Obviously, as an American, my original team would've been USA.

Obviously II, USA failed to take care of business bigtime!

At this point (Semis), I'm pulling for the Empire of England.

However, I keep wondering why so many people out there don't seem to have much love for them! What's the problem with England? They're a team which won a World Cup back in 1966, and hasn't duplicated that feat since. They deserve as much in the way of accolades and attention as any other.
I sometimes visit a football (soccer) forum and the pure hatred of the English is incredible and if you ask me a tad unfathomable? To say that they are 'the' most hated team (particularly with South Europeans and Latin Americans for some reason) would be an understatement! I think it has a lot to do with the success of the Premier League, often when something is popular it gets a lot of 'hate' as well. If England were ever to win the World Cup again I reckon everybody's heads in Argentina will probably just 'explode' :-D
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2018, 05:13 AM
 
1,274 posts, read 1,014,908 times
Reputation: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I sometimes visit a football (soccer) forum and the pure hatred of the English is incredible and if you ask me a tad unfathomable? To say that they are 'the' most hated team (particularly with South Europeans and Latin Americans for some reason) would be an understatement! I think it has a lot to do with the success of the Premier League, often when something is popular it gets a lot of 'hate' as well. If England were ever to win the World Cup again I reckon everybody's heads in Argentina will probably just 'explode' :-D
Yes, that's also a good possible reason why the English are hated when it comes to football. But - and I say with without any arrogance - we do have a claim for it being the best league in the world. Of the remaining quarter-finalists in the WC, a list of players clubs reveal that six of the top ten clubs are represented by the EPL with Manchester (15 players) and Tottenham (14) leading the pack.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 05:24 AM
 
Location: World
4,041 posts, read 3,868,170 times
Reputation: 2678
Belgium National Team also has lot of English Premier League players. Even France got 5 EPL players.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 07:02 AM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,552,859 times
Reputation: 5429
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I sometimes visit a football (soccer) forum and the pure hatred of the English is incredible and if you ask me a tad unfathomable? To say that they are 'the' most hated team (particularly with South Europeans and Latin Americans for some reason) would be an understatement! I think it has a lot to do with the success of the Premier League, often when something is popular it gets a lot of 'hate' as well. If England were ever to win the World Cup again I reckon everybody's heads in Argentina will probably just 'explode' :-D
Sounds right. Continuous success seems to breed contempt.

I see this in the USA with the New England Patriots of American Football, and currently the Golden State Warriors of professional basketball. People naturally would love to see their particular teams do as well, and seemingly the only way to do that is by first having to beat the best in that sport.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 01:39 PM
 
11,298 posts, read 14,075,131 times
Reputation: 6843
Belgium or France. Croatia is fine as well. Anyone but England at this point.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 06:55 AM
 
793 posts, read 470,431 times
Reputation: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
England. Although open borders has made the whole rooting for a county thing kinda bizarre. I think only like 4 players on the squad are white.
Why are the Europeans national teams fulled of immigrants’s children? I think would be the best question if they are 5% or 10% of the population at most
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 07:49 AM
 
3,699 posts, read 2,147,458 times
Reputation: 2208
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Why are the Europeans national teams fulled of immigrants’s children? I think would be the best question if they are 5% or 10% of the population at most
Croatia are like 98% Philipinos + 1.5% Ugandians and just 0.5% white people who all the same name, proof:

https://img.timesnownews.com/story/1....jpg?d=600x450
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 08:54 AM
 
793 posts, read 470,431 times
Reputation: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Croatia are like 98% Philipinos + 1.5% Ugandians and just 0.5% white people who all the same name, proof:

https://img.timesnownews.com/story/1....jpg?d=600x450
Sorry I am talking about the big dogs western Europeans.
Croatia is a country that don’t receive significant immigration and I think in the Balkans they have some genetics for good footbalers, such small countries from there always in the world cup, and immigrants or their children from Bosnia and Kosovo in many national europeans teams… If still united Youguslavia I guess they would have got a world cup
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 01:26 PM
 
3,699 posts, read 2,147,458 times
Reputation: 2208
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Sorry I am talking about the big dogs western Europeans.
Croatia is a country that don’t receive significant immigration and I think in the Balkans they have some genetics for good footbalers, such small countries from there always in the world cup, and immigrants or their children from Bosnia and Kosovo in many national europeans teams… If still united Youguslavia I guess they would have got a world cup
Also if you include Greece and Bulgaria. Bulgaria reached semis at WC and Greece were European champions. Croatia do it for a 2nd time since 1998.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 03:44 PM
 
Location: New York
628 posts, read 545,520 times
Reputation: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You don't actually believe that all Englishmen are 'white' do you!?
Do you think all Nigerians are black? or all Japanese Asian?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:12 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top