U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2018, 09:39 AM
 
1,183 posts, read 439,200 times
Reputation: 3216

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
Because they arent true athletes, when youre too slow for basketball, too scared for baseball, and too small for football there is always soccer.
Man are you confused.
Ever seen a fat professional NFL player? Yep there are plenty. Ever seen a fat professional soccer player? Nope.


As for baseball - probably the most unfit professional sportsmen of the lot.

Last edited by Chint; 07-17-2018 at 09:51 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2018, 09:42 AM
 
1,183 posts, read 439,200 times
Reputation: 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
Just watch some of the baseball injury videos on youtube if you dont think baseball isnt scary to play.Soccer is very safe which is why kids love it,its a large soft ball that doesnt go very fast.The only injuries you see in soccer are all the fake ones.
Yea, that's the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of baseball - "scary". After "boring", "fatasses", "chewing tobabcco" and "hotdogs"


I guess you'd last 3-4 minutes on a soccer field - you'll soon find out if you are cardiovascularly fit. In Football you are on the field running for a minute at once (even that would be a lot), one short burst is usually the max.
Try running for 45 mins without an advert or cheerleading break.


Kids love soccer because its a flowing game that keeps them engaged, doesn't involve standing around, doesn't involve fancy expensive padding and equipment and decorations. Adults who play love it because its real skill, speed and athleticism. That's why it caught on, way back, all over the world, and every year grows in the US, whereas American Football is sorta like NASCAR. A homegrown slightly deficient sport that can never travel outside people who don't grow up with it. It has little natural appeal - its appeals only through constant exposure. Its like NASCAR versus F1, just parochialism that keeps it going. Plus, not surprisingly, its now in decline in both attendance & viewing and participation.

Last edited by Chint; 07-17-2018 at 09:57 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 09:47 AM
 
1,183 posts, read 439,200 times
Reputation: 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If the defenders want better chance at catching him, they need to shave off as many seconds as they can.
But proper foot placement, and tackle preparation, which is sometimes antithetical to speed, is paramount. Running with a ball under ones arm, or only running in a situation where at the end of the run you do not need your feet placed in a certain manner for defense, tackle or blocking, is an entirely different tactic and move. There are only short stretches in soccer where one can simply sprint without being delimited by the contact of your foot very shortly with the ball, or blocking the other player's feet or turns, including in the air, with the ball. Simply running with a ball under your arm, or just running towards someone to tackle with your body/arms or block is entirely different. The defenders do not actually need to be right on top of Mbappe to block his move or strike - there are many positions to do that, or interfere with the ball - situational awareness is very important (the angle of the goal behind, the position of your own goal, the position of the other supporting players). Its massively more complicated mathematically than simply getting the ball 5 yards further at a time. Its not a matter of simply running along side at the same speed.

Last edited by Chint; 07-17-2018 at 10:00 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 10:03 AM
 
11,298 posts, read 14,075,131 times
Reputation: 6843
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
A bunch of 10 years olds can run around for anf hour and half just like these pro soccer players but I wouldnt call them athletes either.
Compared to fat ass line men who move for 10 seconds? Big ass baseball players that stand in a field?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
11,635 posts, read 8,357,237 times
Reputation: 14885
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
Just watch some of the baseball injury videos on youtube if you dont think baseball isnt scary to play.Soccer is very safe which is why kids love it,its a large soft ball that doesnt go very fast.The only injuries you see in soccer are all the fake ones.
1. The ball isn't soft. If you think it is, or that it's supposed to be, you've never played.
2. The ball can travel over 100mph.
3. There have been 70 deaths on soccer fields in the past 12 years... I'm not sure how much more real you'd need the injuries to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 10:58 AM
 
18,094 posts, read 15,412,963 times
Reputation: 25191
Soccer players are out on the field running for a long time, about no rest period and no built in rest period between plays. That is different than football which everyone pauses after each play, baseball where there is plenty of standing around, and track&field where you do your 100 meter sprint and are done.

Also (correct me if I am wrong), while football, basketball, etc can have substitutes come in to give players a rest, and those players can then go back in the game, it does not work that way in soccer. Once a player is substituted, they are out for the rest of the game, so you got potentially your star players out there running around for the 45 minute half with basically no rest.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 12:00 PM
 
1,274 posts, read 1,014,908 times
Reputation: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
1. The ball isn't soft. If you think it is, or that it's supposed to be, you've never played.
2. The ball can travel over 100mph.
3. There have been 70 deaths on soccer fields in the past 12 years... I'm not sure how much more real you'd need the injuries to be.
I caught one in the nadgers when I was thirteen so I can vouch this this!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 12:01 PM
 
1,274 posts, read 1,014,908 times
Reputation: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Soccer players are out on the field running for a long time, about no rest period and no built in rest period between plays. That is different than football which everyone pauses after each play, baseball where there is plenty of standing around, and track&field where you do your 100 meter sprint and are done.

Also (correct me if I am wrong), while football, basketball, etc can have substitutes come in to give players a rest, and those players can then go back in the game, it does not work that way in soccer. Once a player is substituted, they are out for the rest of the game, so you got potentially your star players out there running around for the 45 minute half with basically no rest.
Correctamundo!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 03:30 PM
 
Location: SE UK
8,893 posts, read 7,565,557 times
Reputation: 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
I caught one in the nadgers when I was thirteen so I can vouch this this!
Was it a 'cold' and 'wet' ball? For some reason that makes it even worse!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 05:22 PM
 
1,274 posts, read 1,014,908 times
Reputation: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Was it a 'cold' and 'wet' ball? For some reason that makes it even worse!
The sheer pain has enveloped all other memories of that particular day
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:16 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top