Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 10:46 AM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
A problem is that all of these new soccer specific stadiums have not been built with full roofs. Start building them with full roofs, or retractable roofs and construction costs will surge. It would be a lot to ask a team in Minneapolis to have 6-8 home games in an outdoor stadium in the dead of winter and expect fans to show up. MLS was smart and did their own thing when it came to scheduling. Like you said, Fall and winter are prime time for the NFL, NHL and NBA. Plus college football and college basketball too. I am sure the networks that broadcast their games also want them on their current schedule.

Yep - I realize all that. It will never happen, I know - the point is the USA continues to stay at a disadvantage to the rest of the world when it comes to World Cup play. (Not that it necessarily matters because our players, as a whole, don’t measure up anyway). But a guy can dream! I’ve mentioned the very same thing in re: soccer can’t compete with football, NBA, etc. in this country in previous posts. The stadium issue is secondary, IMO. If the sport made money, one wouldn’t blink an eye about the cost of a retractable roof.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 02-01-2019 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 01:26 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Apparently MLS is making money; just not the way you'd think:

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/20...-mexico-canada

Old 02-01-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Apparently MLS is making money; just not the way you'd think:

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/20...-mexico-canada
Yeah - or the league wouldn’t be growing. I just meant as it related to the former post of schedules/retractable roofs.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:53 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yep - I realize all that. It will never happen, I know - the point is the USA continues to stay at a disadvantage to the rest of the world when it comes to World Cup play. (Not that it necessarily matters because our players, as a whole, don’t measure up anyway). But a guy can dream! I’ve mentioned the very same thing in re: soccer can’t compete with football, NBA, etc. in this country in previous posts. The stadium issue is secondary, IMO. If the sport made money, one wouldn’t blink an eye about the cost of a retractable roof.
Players in the MLS are not at a disadvantage come the World Cup due to their schedule. Teams start their training camps for the World Cup mid-May. At that point the MLS is not even half way through their season. A better argument would be that soccer players in Europe are at a disadvantage as their 8-9 month long seasons end in early to mid-May and then those players have to go right into a training camp for the Wold Cup.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Players in the MLS are not at a disadvantage come the World Cup due to their schedule. Teams start their training camps for the World Cup mid-May. At that point the MLS is not even half way through their season. A better argument would be that soccer players in Europe are at a disadvantage as their 8-9 month long seasons end in early to mid-May and then those players have to go right into a training camp for the Wold Cup.
All players (on the national teams) train year round anyway, because of WC trials as well. And, there is usually a two-month break between the end of most leagues and the start of WC (which is significant). Not so for MLS - fatigue, travel schedules, and ‘tired legs’ can have an impact on performance. There’s also the added risk of injury prior to a wc match, making it impossible for a player to perform at all. National play affects so few MLS players anyway, so I understand the world is not about to adapt to us, but I can complain about it a few minutes!

Old 02-08-2019, 10:37 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,021,486 times
All playoffs does is lessening the competition/taking the excitement away from the regular season.
For example i watch a lot of NBA and i see coaches rest their veteran star players in back to back games, its just not fair to the opposing team and your fans imo. Easiest solution would be to get rid of the playoffs so you won't have any back to back games.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:30 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
All playoffs does is lessening the competition/taking the excitement away from the regular season.
For example i watch a lot of NBA...
Let me stop you right there.

Not every sport is comparable. To say that playoffs lessens the competition and take away from the excitement away from the regular season is not true at all, but the NBA is a different animal. It's more star driven with less players and "superteams", so it may seem that way, but that doesn't relate to every sport.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:12 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,080 times
Quote:

There is no good reason to move MLS season to winter. It is the perfect summer sport in our part of the world. Yes, we deal with a month of extreme heat in many places but it hasnt been a problem.

There are many leagues in the world that play in this time of year. It doesnt put us at a disadvantage to play during the summer for tournaments. They generally happen when our players are getting into their peak shape. For players that play in winter, they just finished several months long season sometimes playing 50 or more games. Which would you rather be?

I dont want a retractable roof. It is an outdoor sport. It is fine like it is. I am not sure why anyone would want the league to move to winter. I was at MLS Cup 2013 when it was 7 degrees outside by the time it ended. I would not want to attend several games a year like that. Would you? Plus, tailgating would be horrible. Tailgating might not be a thing for you but here in KC, it is just as much part of the game as the game itself. You show up 3 hours beforehand and tailgate. If it were below 40 degrees 75% of games, it would destroy that.

Also, retractable roofs are expensive as hell. There are NFL teams they wont buy them even though they make billions. You are talking about an addition that is often equal to the cost of the rest of the stadium. Just because you make money doesnt mean you just spend it. That is how you go out of business.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:23 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,080 times
Quote:
All players (on the national teams) train year round anyway, because of WC trials. And, there is usually a two-month break between the end of most leagues and the start of WC (which is significant). Not so for MLS - fatigue, travel schedules, and ‘tired legs’ can impact performance. There’s also the added risk of injury before a WC match, making it impossible for a player to perform at all. National play affects so few MLS players anyway, so I understand the world is not about to adapt to us, but I can complain about it a few minutes!

Training differs from games. There is a vastly higher increase of injury in games. On WC years, they don't really get that rest. They might get a month... maybe. Then, they go into training and warm-up games.

MLS players are 2 months into their schedule which means for most players, they are hitting their stride. I doubt there is much data to support MLS players having a higher injury right before the WC than non-MLS players.

When it comes down to it, there are pros and cons to both but I do not believe MLS players are at a disadvantage with their schedule and summer tournaments. The only disadvantage is for the teams because of losing their stars for up to six weeks. Especially if you are one of the better teams with more players playing in it. But, it also gives guys further down the depth chart a chance to shine. Once again, that is a pro and con.

I believe it comes out even and how it impacts each comes down to the individual players. Plus, in my previous post, MLS is not the only league that plays a summer schedule. European teams do it because they don't have other major sports or the kind of winters we do. We have to deal with the NFL and College Football in the last few weeks but other than that, we deal with MLB and that's it. If you ask consumers to choose between the NFL, College Football, NHL, NBA plus MLS. You will stretch people too far and MLS is the baby of the group. They will treat it like that.

Being in San Fran, I can see how you think it might be okay. I don't know what your experience is with winter in other areas of the country but in KC, we are two days from having to shut down the city due to ice. We are currently in our 20th most snowy winter ever and the fourth major winter storm event of this season with two more on the way.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
There is no good reason to move MLS season to winter. It is the perfect summer sport in our part of the world. Yes, we deal with a month of extreme heat in many places but it hasnt been a problem.

There are many leagues in the world that play in this time of year. It doesnt put us at a disadvantage to play during the summer for tournaments. They generally happen when our players are getting into their peak shape. For players that play in winter, they just finished several months long season sometimes playing 50 or more games. Which would you rather be?

I dont want a retractable roof. It is an outdoor sport. It is fine like it is. I am not sure why anyone would want the league to move to winter. I was at MLS Cup 2013 when it was 7 degrees outside by the time it ended. I would not want to attend several games a year like that. Would you? Plus, tailgating would be horrible. Tailgating might not be a thing for you but here in KC, it is just as much part of the game as the game itself. .
I think it’s already been established MLS would never move their season to winter - weather, competing with football (and other sports), etc. have all been discussed. I don’t think anyone was saying it ‘should’ happen - merely noting that it can affect our participation in the World Cup (since the rest of the world is on a different schedule). All one needs to do is listen to several commentators - and it’s clear the world not only sees us as ‘inferior’ in the sport, but many will routinely speak of the scheduling disadvantage. I don’t tailgate at soccer games (used to at football games long ago) - prefer a pub environment (or simply having a beer while watching the game live).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer