Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 12:40 PM

8,642 posts, read 3,844,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
To me the FC and SC names are boring and lazy. The game isn't even known as 'Futbol' here in the states.
I get your point - but it’s ‘traditional’ for a world-wide sport in the same way animal names were traditionally used for football here i.e. Bengals, Bears, Lions, Rams, Panthers, and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 09:17 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,796,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
To me the FC and SC names are boring and lazy. The game isn't even known as 'Futbol' here in the states.
It's probably certain soccer teams attempts to emulate the European soccer teams with their names. But given the league is called Major League Soccer, have Football club in your name sounds a bit odd.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
It's probably certain soccer teams attempts to emulate the European soccer teams with their names. But given the league is called Major League Soccer, have Football club in your name sounds a bit odd.
It’s simply traditional and paying homage to the sport.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:56 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,399,640 times
I dont get how having Football in your football clubs name is weird when calling yourself the Kansas City Cheese Whiz or whatever you want isnt weird.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I dont get how having Football in your football clubs name is weird when calling yourself the Kansas City Cheese Whiz or whatever you want isnt weird.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:19 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,886,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
"Sporting KC" doesn't sound much better.

like the 3 million "United" teams, having the so-called traditional club names in a country where the sport doesn't have the strongest history just sounds... fake. Or forced, basically.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
"Sporting KC" doesn't sound much better.

like the 3 million "United" teams, having the so-called traditional club names in a country where the sport doesn't have the strongest history just sounds... fake. Or forced, basically.
How is it fake to pay homage to the sports’ origin and history?

Old 02-25-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
How is it fake to pay homage to the sports’ origin and history?
Because it's not organic.

Instead of the "Atlanta Silverbacks", a name for a pre-existing team that was around since '94, they chose to go with "Atlanta United"... as if there aren't already two other teams with that name in the league. They scrapped a unique name for "tradition".

Or Real Salt Lake... WHY? Does Utah have a high Hispanic/Spanish population? No. It was specifically named after other, more well known clubs in Europe.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Because it's not organic.

Instead of the "Atlanta Silverbacks", a name for a pre-existing team that was around since '94, they chose to go with "Atlanta United"... as if there aren't already two other teams with that name in the league. They scrapped a unique name for "tradition".

Or Real Salt Lake... WHY? Does Utah have a high Hispanic/Spanish population? No. It was specifically named after other, more well known clubs in Europe.
I understand your point, but let’s face it - the MLS is not on par with the rest of the world, though I do believe the MLS (and players in the US) would like to see it evolve (and change). If teams want to pay homage to the sport and its history (as part of the effort to being taken more seriously), I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s less hokey than Earthquakes.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I understand your point, but let’s face it - the MLS is not on par with the rest of the world, though I do believe the MLS (and players in the US) would like to see it evolve (and change). If teams want to pay homage to the sport and its history (as part of the effort to being taken more seriously), I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s less hokey than Earthquakes.
There's a difference between "paying homage" and pandering.

If Eurosnobs don't respect or take the MLS seriously because some of our teams choose the North American City/Nickname format, then to hell with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer