Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 11:52 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,889,940 times

Advertisements

2019: Cincy
2020: Miami & Nashville
2021: Austin & (____?____)

Austin FC

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 04:23 PM

15,816 posts, read 6,523,439 times
Miami already had an MLS team though, the Fusion. They flopped after four seasons, so what gives? Summer soccer games in humid Miami = ugh.

Seems like St. Louis would be a good place for an MLS team. At one time it was considered a bit of a soccer hotbed. Plus they have some natural rivalries nearby.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:17 PM

17,116 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Miami already had an MLS team though, the Fusion. They flopped after four seasons, so what gives? Summer soccer games in humid Miami = ugh.

Seems like St. Louis would be a good place for an MLS team. At one time it was considered a bit of a soccer hotbed. Plus they have some natural rivalries nearby.
It's already absolutely painful to sit through the entire 90 at times in Orlando, especially considering half of the seats are directly facing the blazing sun. I guess it's their way of selling more beer.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Well the Marlins have been in Miami for 25 years and not only do they always play during the hottest months of the year, they did if for a couple decades WITHOUT the retractable roof ballpark.

So maybe it has more to do with management and the infancy of Major League Soccer than the city itself...?

Old 12-21-2018, 10:51 AM

15,816 posts, read 6,523,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Well the Marlins have been in Miami for 25 years and not only do they always play during the hottest months of the year, they did if for a couple decades WITHOUT the retractable roof ballpark.

So maybe it has more to do with management and the infancy of Major League Soccer than the city itself...?

You could be right. I guess we'll see.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:08 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times
That was a pretty overly dramatic explanation of a pretty basic look soccer jersey badge for Austin.

Miami will be interesting. They've had an MLS team before and it failed. The city can be pretty fickle and is full of transplants and snowbirds. The team will probably draw well out of the gate given it could become the new cool thing to do.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
That was a pretty overly dramatic explanation of a pretty basic look soccer jersey badge for Austin.
Actually, that's pretty common these days:

I hate this one the most...

Old 12-28-2018, 06:45 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times
Quote:

Im with you. I think St Louis will be team 28 and I hope MLS closes the borders after that. There are too many clubs whose fans dont show up for matches, even when there club is good. I think Don Garber is corrupt and this is coming from an Atlanta United fan since 2014. He was so gung ho to get back to Florida that I think he used Orlando for southeast expansion and I dont think they are aware of what happened. Miami will be allowed to play in some B.S. location like NYCFC while Orlando had to build their own pitch. Garber\MLS tampered with the designs of Mercedes Benz Stadium and I dont have an issue with that. I just wish the rest of the league knew. Many people outside of Atlanta think Mercedes Benz Stadium was built exclusively for the Atlanta Falcons, but MLS had a lot of input on the design, dimensions & internal amenities for MLS clubs and World Cup matches. Originally only the lower bowl was to be opened for MLS matches but the ticket demand cause the Blank Organization to open the middle bowl. The intention was basically allowing the stadium to convert from MLS mode to SEC\NFL mode and back. People think that Atlanta United play in an NFL exclusive stadium, but there are entire locations in there Gridiron football players cant access.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:58 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post

Miami will be interesting. They've had an MLS team before and it failed. The city can be pretty fickle and is full of transplants and snowbirds. The team will probably draw well out of the gate given it could become the new cool thing to do.
The State of Florida had 2 clubs that folded. Both were owned by the league at the time. I dont think either of them played in the cities they represented. MLS really wanted to get back to Florida though hence Orlando City. Beckham has had 2 announcements for team its weird everyone forgot the first announcement back in 2013. They had a presser after Orlando but before Minnesota & Atlanta. They couldnt get their stuff together. LAFC got announced and got in the league & everyone forgot about Miami again. Then MLS said they would bring in 4 new teams but Miami was not one of them. The List was
Nashville, Cincinnati, Sacramento & Detroit
They announced Nashville, angering Cincinnati fans, then they announced Miami again out of nowhere. Now Austin is coming out of nowhere when MLS's goal was to move Columbus Crew to Austin.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:37 AM

8,800 posts, read 10,235,741 times
In the last round of expansion bids, both Charlotte and Raleigh threw their hat in the ring. While Raleighs bidders and team name and stadium proposal remains the same, the Charlotte bid has a new player in the ownership title, David Tepper (current owner of the Panthers). Neither are a guarantee but both are still out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer