U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2019, 12:23 PM

11,649 posts, read 8,357,237 times

Advertisements

Topic question.

Seriously, aside from looking cool, is there any good reason why they don't? When corner kicks are coming in and everyone is flying around the box for headers, when a ball is being smashed at full force and you have to put your body in front of it, when going to snatch a loose ball from a striker running at full speed ready to swing his spiked boots in your direction... I'm surprised we don't hear of more gruesome injuries involving goalkeepers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 07:11 PM

7,082 posts, read 1,679,770 times
Petr Cech wore one, and he was one of the best of all time. I'm not sure why more don't. Eventually I'm expecting that young soccer players will be encouraged (if not required) to wear helmets for team play so as to avoid concussions, and perhaps then it will become more widely adopted.

Last edited by rjshae; 05-05-2019 at 07:23 PM..

Old 04-26-2020, 05:24 AM

16 posts, read 1,743 times
The back four isn't enough protection?

Old 04-28-2020, 11:56 AM

7,599 posts, read 16,931,311 times
I was a keeper and not in a million years would I wear a helmet, I didnt even like wearing a cap to stop the sun. Keepers are pretty safe and very well protected even compared to when I used to play, nevermind when me dad used to play.

Cech helmet was a bit different I think. I dont think it would have done much to protect him if he had a similar knock to that bad injury.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:17 AM

1,862 posts, read 415,020 times
There are TONS of other injuries to the HEAD out in a Pitch, Goalkeepers as the last poster noted, normally do not suffer nearly the injuries the Field Players experience.

Man, they did not wear gloves as protection until the 1960's rolled around, and even then most GK's took a long time getting used to wearing them.

I remember them a long time ago also wearing protection on their knees, sort of the stuff floor/rug installers use.

Those disappeared. Ice Hockey goalies and players use them, clear case of hitting the ice is like hitting concrete

Last edited by Huasho; 05-16-2020 at 10:44 AM..

Old 05-17-2020, 06:04 AM

8,900 posts, read 7,565,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Petr Cech wore one, and he was one of the best of all time. I'm not sure why more don't. Eventually I'm expecting that young soccer players will be encouraged (if not required) to wear helmets for team play so as to avoid concussions, and perhaps then it will become more widely adopted.
Cech only started wearing his after he had his head caved in by Reading player Stephen Hunt. He was told that another smack on the skull could kill him unless he wore protective head gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or