Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 03:45 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times

Advertisements

It is the first time all four finalists in Europe's top two competitions have come from one nation.

Tottenham and Liverpool will meet in the Champions League Final in Madrid on 1st June, whilst Arsenal and Chelsea will meet in Baku, Azerbaijan in the Europa League final on the 29th May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC

English clubs have created European football history by taking all four final spots in the continent's two major competitions.

Arsenal won in Valencia and Chelsea beat Eintracht Frankfurt on Thursday to reach the Europa League final.

That followed dramatic wins for Liverpool over Barcelona and Tottenham against Ajax in the Champions League.

It is the first time all four finalists in Europe's top two competitions have come from one nation.

Champions League & Europa League: English clubs make history by taking four final places - BBC Sport

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 12:24 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
What's the betting line on English fans being abominable?

Old 05-10-2019, 01:50 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
What's the betting line on English fans being abominable?
I think the bet is that Madrid will be far worse than Baku. Can't imagine Chelsea and Arsenal will bring more than 10k each all the way to Baku. Spurs and Liverpool on the other hand will bring three times that to Madrid.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I think the bet is that Madrid will be far worse than Baku. Can't imagine Chelsea and Arsenal will bring more than 10k each all the way to Baku. Spurs and Liverpool on the other hand will bring three times that to Madrid.
The fans of behaved very well throughout the tournament, and given ticket allocations and the price of tickets, I very much doubt that many fans will even travel.

Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea and Arsenal fans criticise Uefa for final ticket number - BBC Sport

English clubs have met in the European Chamionship final before, indeed Chelsea lost to Man Unitedon penalties in Moscow in 2008, and every year English clubs play in Europe with very few problems.

2008 UEFA Champions League Final - Wikipedia

Old 05-12-2019, 06:02 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The fans of behaved very well throughout the tournament, and given ticket allocations and the price of tickets, I very much doubt that many fans will even travel.

Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea and Arsenal fans criticise Uefa for final ticket number - BBC Sport

English clubs have met in the European Chamionship final before, indeed Chelsea lost to Man Unitedon penalties in Moscow in 2008, and every year English clubs play in Europe with very few problems.

Every time there are hooligan 'problems' with football the English will get the blame, yes there were big problems with it here in the 1980's and the 'stigma' has stuck ever since, however there are no hooligan issues in the English game in 2019, its not in England that fans have to be 'caged in', its not in England that there are police with dogs at the game, its not in England that there are 'water cannon' and 'tear gas', if the final was between an English and a German team then yes there may be trouble everybody in Europe want's to attack English people (sometimes even their police) and football gives them the opportunity to do so without any 'comeback' but these finals are between two English clubs and there will be no trouble (unless the local Spaniards try starting something). I can tell you from first hand experience the difference between going abroad for football compared to 'away days' in England itself. I am not suggesting there are no 'bad apples' in the English game but I believe percentage wise less people are arrested at football matches compared to towns with similar populations to the game attendances.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Every time there are hooligan 'problems' with football the English will get the blame, yes there were big problems with it here in the 1980's and the 'stigma' has stuck ever since, however there are no hooligan issues in the English game in 2019, its not in England that fans have to be 'caged in', its not in England that there are police with dogs at the game, its not in England that there are 'water cannon' and 'tear gas', if the final was between an English and a German team then yes there may be trouble everybody in Europe want's to attack English people (sometimes even their police) and football gives them the opportunity to do so without any 'comeback' but these finals are between two English clubs and there will be no trouble (unless the local Spaniards try starting something). I can tell you from first hand experience the difference between going abroad for football compared to 'away days' in England itself. I am not suggesting there are no 'bad apples' in the English game but I believe percentage wise less people are arrested at football matches compared to towns with similar populations to the game attendances.

Totally Agree and my personal experiences also lead to the a similar conclusion to you easthome.

Football Hooliganism is rare in England and is a lot more prevalent in other parts of Europe.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:24 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

It's all about the money. Same thing happens here in the United States with the Super Bowl. The two teams playing in the Super Bowl split the team allotment and that number is less than half the hosting stadium's capacity. Throw in elevated hotel and airlines prices and it's a very expensive trip. At least in the NFL's case, fans don't have to deal with securing visas and the Super Bowl is always played in cities that have plenty of existing flight options. Baku has no service to London and very few of the major European airlines even fly there already.

Considering a lot of these European soccer teams have core groups of fans who will consistently travel to their away games, the least the clubs could do is throw them a bone and either give them heavily discounted game tickets, or charter a few planes and sell reasonable tickets so their loyal fans can get to the game. Baku was a poor choice to host a major European soccer final.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
It's all about the money. Same thing happens here in the United States with the Super Bowl. The two teams playing in the Super Bowl split the team allotment and that number is less than half the hosting stadium's capacity. Throw in elevated hotel and airlines prices and it's a very expensive trip. At least in the NFL's case, fans don't have to deal with securing visas and the Super Bowl is always played in cities that have plenty of existing flight options. Baku has no service to London and very few of the major European airlines even fly there already.

Considering a lot of these European soccer teams have core groups of fans who will consistently travel to their away games, the least the clubs could do is throw them a bone and either give them heavily discounted game tickets, or charter a few planes and sell reasonable tickets so their loyal fans can get to the game. Baku was a poor choice to host a major European soccer final.

I agree Baku is a poor choice and involves a visa, but then again FIFA and UEFA have always been subject to allegations of corruption.

Madrid shouldn't be too much of a travel problem, the main problem being ticket prices.

I don't really expect any violence, indeed the four teams involved meet each other all the time in the premier league and I don't think many fans would relish serving time in a prison in Azerbaijan or Spain.

In terms of national cups there are the League Cup and FA Cup both of which are played at Wembley.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-13-2019 at 11:49 AM..

Old 05-14-2019, 09:24 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I see.

World Cup 2018: More than 1,200 British football hooligans banned from going to Russia by Home Office

Problem solved.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:15 AM

18 posts, read 13,816 times
Baku is a place with lots of crude oil. Probably cash solved the issue for choosing a place for the final.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer