U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 09:49 AM

12,941 posts, read 7,592,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Mixed thoughts over such a pounding. By knowing this was the Thai team's first ever WWC, I knew this would be a lopsided victory for team USA. Wasn't expecting 13-0. A part of me wishes there was some kind of mercy clause in the form of, let's say, the game is stopped at 10-0. But, that wouldn't be fair to the spectators whom, for the most, want their pound of flesh served bloody and raw.
I hated their over the top celebrations after each goal, I was embarrassed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 10:38 AM

6,957 posts, read 1,675,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
It is not the same lol. The US womens team won a WC and a month later lost the US boys U15's team 4-0 in a behind closed doors match. I grew up and bleed football, have traveled to many countries to catch a match. The quality of the US womens team vs many part time clubs I have seen is comparable.
It's entertaining to watch, so I'm okay with that. I don't expect them to match the hyper-speed and elite talent of the top men's teams, but that also makes the field feel more wide open.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:04 AM

8,278 posts, read 10,208,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I hated their over the top celebrations after each goal, I was embarrassed.
Agree--very inappropriate, and embarrassing for a team of adults. They should have realized very early on that the Thai team was not at their level, and behaved accordingly.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:32 AM

891 posts, read 880,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
It is not the same lol. The US womens team won a WC and a month later lost the US boys U15's team 4-0 in a behind closed doors match. I grew up and bleed football, have traveled to many countries to catch a match. The quality of the US womens team vs many part time clubs I have seen is comparable.
Well, if you "grew up and bleed football" please tell me the SKILL, not speed or power, but a skill, that a man can perform and a woman cannot. I am glad that you have traveled to many countries to catch a match. I have too, but played on the pitch in those countries. Men begin to release testosterone in the pre-teen years, resulting in significant muscle and bone development. Its why at U8 and below, there is virtually no difference between the strength of youth males and females, but those differences are easy to see at U10 and are significant by U12. But I have never seen a single skill set that men are able to play and women are unable to play. When I was playing, the best men I played with could stroke a PK at speeds up to 120 kph. While I have not seen data on it, when we have used the pitch speed radars on female kickers on teams I coach they are under 70kph. But this has to do with bone density, torque, muscle mass, strength and several other factors. there are quite a few scientific journals discussing the biology of kicking speeds between men and women.

But again, this is speed and strength. Not skill. If anything, the average female athlete is far more flexible and able to create foot/leg angles to strike the ball with greater option than the average male athlete. Of course the speed and power will not be the same, but the speed and strength of the corresponding player opposite them will be slower than the males as well, meaning the ability to block or defend a shot is essentially equal between women as it is between men.

If your only comment is, men will beat woman one-on-one, good for you, you have managed to spit out something evolution has been developing for millions of years. But if you are suggesting there is a skill, a ball handling move, striking technique, spin on the ball ... technical skill that a man can do and a woman cannot, please enlighten us.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Agree--very inappropriate, and embarrassing for a team of adults. They should have realized very early on that the Thai team was not at their level, and behaved accordingly.
Thailand clearly does not care about this, why should you? Its the players themselves in the match.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:51 AM

5,631 posts, read 2,188,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Mixed thoughts over such a pounding. By knowing this was the Thai team's first ever WWC, I knew this would be a lopsided victory for team USA. Wasn't expecting 13-0. A part of me wishes there was some kind of mercy clause in the form of, let's say, the game is stopped at 10-0. But, that wouldn't be fair to the spectators whom, for the most, want their pound of flesh served bloody and raw.
I have no issue with running up the score in a tournament where net goal rates can make a difference in the standings. But I think after about the 6th or 7th goal the team could have toned down the celebrating like they'd just scored the game-winning goal every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Actually the skill level is the same. The only difference are the things that testosterone would impact, like speed and strength...
So they're the same, except in the ways they're existentially different.

Other contexts in which we could explore this concept:
  • "The skill level is the same, except one features the best soccer players in the world while the other features the best 12-and-under soccer players in the world."

• "The skill level is the same, except one features the best soccer players in the world while the other features the best midget soccer players in the world."

• "The skill level is the same, except one features the best soccer players in the world while the other features the best black jack players in the world."

Old 06-12-2019, 12:19 PM

The US coach explained the Thailand game by indicating it's difficult for her team to just cruise against a weaker team then turn it up to high gear a couple of days later for a tougher opponent (like Sweden). The USWNT has exited tournaments in the past for that reason. Coach wants the team on top of their game for the full World Cup. It kind of makes sense from that perspective, although it's difficult to watch. We'll see if it works...

Old 06-12-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post

Other contexts in which we could explore this concept:
  • "The skill level is the same, except one features the best soccer players in the world while the other features the best 12-and-under soccer players in the world."

• "The skill level is the same, except one features the best soccer players in the world while the other features the best midget soccer players in the world."

• "The skill level is the same, except one features the best soccer players in the world while the other features the best black jack players in the world."

1) Yes, they are the same, except in the ways they're different. Same on skill, different on speed and strength. Just like when you compare say Eric Berry (Safety TN Titans to a good but not great 30 year old soccer player). Lets use Cissoco from Tottenham (really just because he drives me crazy as a Spurs fan). Berry is stronger and faster than Cissoco, but having seen Berry play soccer, has nowhere near the skill level. Likewise, Julie Ertz IMO has the same skill level, but cannot compete with Moussa because of his size, strength and speed advantage. But, I suspect she would eat Berry alive on a pitch.

2) No, the soccer skill level of the best U12 player will never be equal to the soccer skill level of a prime age player on the national team of a country that invests in soccer. Messi, Neymar, Salah, Modric, Ronaldo ... None of them at age 10 or 11 had the skill set of the rest at 25. Mostly I think that has to do with repetition and game play, but for whatever reason, it is true.

In the first and third example you gave, the skill level is not the same. I suspect that by "midgets" you are referring to disproportionate dwarfism. A condition which brings biological changes that makes comparison impossible. Some skills are physically impossible in one group compared to the other.

I suspect the US Women's track team would win every race against the fastest male little people in the world. Dwarfism, while not impacting the mind, does impact the body.

But thanks for making my point.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:45 PM

The talent pool for Women's soccer is probably also much smaller than for the Men due to economic reasons, so the talent levels are not directly comparable.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:04 PM

2,962 posts, read 3,511,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
A little humility would've been at par for the course. But let's face it, the USA doesn't do all that well in the "humble/humility" department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or