Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 03:33 PM

630 posts, read 526,099 times

Advertisements

Agree/disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 07:02 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,789 times
It's the top level of competition for the teams competing aside from the World Cup. And a lot of these teams don't even make the World Cup. So I would say it is very much relevant.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:51 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,153,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Agree/disagree?
If you are not a soccer fan, of course its not relevant. I mean they play these ridiculous games of hockey and baseball in the US each year in these pathetic leagues called MLB and NHL. Since I could case less about these sports, not only the playoffs, but any games are irrelevant to me.

But assuming you like soccer, any competitive soccer is better than no soccer. If you live outside of Concacaf's region, I am sure its not very relevant to you other than as competitive soccer to watch. But if you live in North America, Central American, and any Caribbean nation, its not only relevant, its what you want your nation's team to win.

Yes, its relevant to me as an american soccer fan.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:34 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
What sports venue is relevant? it's all just entertainment.

In terms of quality though, some of the Gold Cup games have been truly dreadful football. I've seen college games that were more entertaining. There have been a couple of decent matches in the competition, but all-in-all I'd rather be watching Copa América. Maybe the Gold Cup will improve once we reach the elimination rounds?

Old 06-24-2019, 10:13 AM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
What sports venue is relevant? it's all just entertainment.

In terms of quality though, some of the Gold Cup games have been truly dreadful football. I've seen college games that were more entertaining. There have been a couple of decent matches in the competition, but all-in-all I'd rather be watching Copa América. Maybe the Gold Cup will improve once we reach the elimination rounds?
It’s a competition, and it is certainly relevant in terms of revenue (and visibility). Mexico and the USMNT have dominated over the years (and is why both typically have an easy road to the WC - or ‘should’).

Old 06-25-2019, 07:35 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Its not a great tournament as far as quality goes, theyre **** poor teams in it. But its good competitive games for these teams.
I have Honduran and Haitian friends and I always watch their teams play to support em.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:20 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
The Haiti vs. Costa Rica game was fun to watch. You could tell Haiti was putting their all into the contest.

What's odd to me is that they didn't flip the groups for the elimination portion of the tournament. Teams from the same group could face each other again in the semi-finals. Mexico and Canada, for example. Somebody didn't think this through very well.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:56 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
It's relevant as it is the best teams that play in one of the regions of the sport. But concacaf at its best as it concerns quality is probably fourth at best. Concacaf not only needs the US to start challenging Mexico like it should, it needs Canada, Jamaica, Costa Rica, and Panama to get stronger as well.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:45 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Will be interesting to see who qualifies to play in the 2021 Confederations Cup (winner of the Gold Cup in a one-match play-off against the 2017 champions - which happens to be the US).

Old 06-28-2019, 06:00 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's relevant as it is the best teams that play in one of the regions of the sport. But concacaf at its best as it concerns quality is probably fourth at best. Concacaf not only needs the US to start challenging Mexico like it should, it needs Canada, Jamaica, Costa Rica, and Panama to get stronger as well.
What's your 3rd?

I assume UEFA and CONMEBOL are your top 2, then CAF?

Is AFC and OFC your bottom two out of the 6?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer