U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 08:51 AM

895 posts, read 881,364 times

Advertisements

Its an Olympic year and the USWNT is trying to be the first team to go World Cup and Gold Medal in consecutive years. As several nations have invested heavily in the women's side, there are more highly rated challengers in the world.

The Olympic's protocols also hurt the US in one area they tend to dominate, depth. The Olympics allow an 18 woman roster, 5 less that the World cup's 23. Leaving room for only 6 subs assuming bringing 2 goalies, there are dome tough calls to make.

In 2016 the US brought 6 defenders, 6 midfielders and 4 forwards. Vlad seems set on his 4 woman back line and assume it will be becky sauerbrunn and abby dahlkemper in the middle with O'hara and Dunn as the wing backs, only 2 more with a lot of competition. Do you bring just one more traditional center back, or do you bring in backs that can play both wing back and center back, but sacrifice a little in one place. Krieger is a solid defender who is not as strong pressing forward. Sonnett is better pushing forward, but gets beat sometimes in the back in a traditional back role. Davidson has huge upside, but is young and prone to errors. Not sure who to take.

With all the midfielders, who do you bring. Julie Ertz is a lock in the lineup and I think rose LAvelle is too, but who else. Horan has not looked great until this Concacaf tourney, where she looked amazing. Mewis also looked great. Long and Sullivan have been solid late subs when called for. Not a fan of Morgan Brian, but she is there too.

And forwards are where the true difficulties lie. Alex Morgan is asking a lot of her body to have a baby in mid-april and be read in early June for Camp and the Olympic in July. If she can do it (and I think she can) She is in. Rapinor is clearly in as well as defending player of the year. Assuimg 4 more players, you have Tobin Heath, Carli Lloyd, Jessica McDonald, Christen Press, Mallory Pugh, and Lynn Williams. All six can start on most teams, but who do you leave off. Honestly, it should be Lloyd and Pugh not going, but I have my doubts Lloyd will be cut.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 09:27 AM

689 posts, read 181,109 times
I hope for the sake of the game that we see some open and attacking football played. The US will be hard to beat but hopefully based on last world cup we see strong Dutch and Aussie and English challenges, Canada too I hope

Old 02-11-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
I hope for the sake of the game that we see some open and attacking football played. The US will be hard to beat but hopefully based on last world cup we see strong Dutch and Aussie and English challenges, Canada too I hope
Its a very different game than the men's side, but equally fun to watch. Just a bit slower and with less force due to the testosterone differences. So open and attacking football is less likely to be played I think. The Dutch, French, and German teams are equal to the US team right now. While the US won last summer, the talent level of these teams are so close in the starting 11. The French and US Team have edges in depth, particularly at striker, but all 4 of them can beat each other equally IMO. The Matilda and Lionesses are slightly behind that foursome with the likes of Canada. They are strong teams, but seem to lose more frequently. The english league is growing stronger and investment is heavy there. Its only a matte of time before they are in the mix for the best program. The Aussies get the Sam Kerr bonus, as she is simply amazing. The Norwegians would get a similar bonus if Ada Hegerberg would play with them. Hegerberg would make any team contend. It should be a fun spring and summer watching the world qualify, prep for and play in the Olympics. With Spain, Japan and England coming here for the she believes cup next month, we will get to see some great matches.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:35 PM

7,416 posts, read 5,063,735 times
As you said Olympics is so different than World Cup & Euro tournaments.

France, Germany, England are probably the 3 biggest threats. Netherlands, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Sweden, Japan are usually decent and can throw a scare in teams, while Norway & Spain have started to heavily invest in the women's game.

Old 02-14-2020, 04:32 PM

8,900 posts, read 7,567,620 times
Wait a minute, are you telling me that women play football!! Seriously though I dont think England are allowed to partake in the Olympics no? The men arent because in the Olympics the English compete as Great Britain (ie English, Scots, Welsh and N.Ireland) whereas each nation wouldn't be seen dead competing together in football! Or have the rules changed?

Old 02-18-2020, 07:56 AM

7,599 posts, read 16,932,056 times
I think all 4 nations have to agree to it for a team GB. So I think its based on if teams qualify for an important tournament or not that summer. So I believe they have a team in 2020.

I say real tournament because the Olympics are corrupt to the core and boring af to watch imho but thats not for this thread.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Wait a minute, are you telling me that women play football!! Seriously though I dont think England are allowed to partake in the Olympics no? The men arent because in the Olympics the English compete as Great Britain (ie English, Scots, Welsh and N.Ireland) whereas each nation wouldn't be seen dead competing together in football! Or have the rules changed?
Starting in 96, Wales, Scotland, England and Northern Ireland agreed to compete in the Olympic football (and other sports) as one team under the name Great Britain. In other international events, each country fields a team. The men's side have always had issues with this, resulting in the insanity of 2012 for the London Olympics where only English players represented GB. The nonsense reason for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland was that participation in the Olympics for GB would preclude a player from later representing its own country. FIFA expressed in writing this was not true and no player would be penalized, but yes, the insanity won out. The whole concept of the Olympics is joining together for sports competitions, but this longstanding hatred between these men won out and there is not true GB men's side soccer for the Olympics.

Now, as the thread title points out, this is a women's side soccer discussion. As in most things IMO, women seem far more intelligent and rational and could care less about politics and hate. the women have indeed all agreed for the best women from each country to participate in a GB team. The team has qualified and I expect very good things from the team.

thanks for the comments. The history of soccer in GB and its social ramifications is very interesting to me. It permeates through life more than sports do here in the US.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:16 AM

689 posts, read 181,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
. As in most things IMO, women seem far more intelligent and rational and could care less about politics and hate..
I actually prefer watching the women's game from a fair play approach, whilst they are very competitive they don't try and cheat, I don't think I have ever seen a player take a dive ( or a flop as it is often called in North America) or try and pressure the ref into awarding a free kick or a penalty

Old 02-21-2020, 03:28 PM

8,900 posts, read 7,567,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Starting in 96, Wales, Scotland, England and Northern Ireland agreed to compete in the Olympic football (and other sports) as one team under the name Great Britain. In other international events, each country fields a team. The men's side have always had issues with this, resulting in the insanity of 2012 for the London Olympics where only English players represented GB. The nonsense reason for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland was that participation in the Olympics for GB would preclude a player from later representing its own country. FIFA expressed in writing this was not true and no player would be penalized, but yes, the insanity won out. The whole concept of the Olympics is joining together for sports competitions, but this longstanding hatred between these men won out and there is not true GB men's side soccer for the Olympics.

Now, as the thread title points out, this is a women's side soccer discussion. As in most things IMO, women seem far more intelligent and rational and could care less about politics and hate. the women have indeed all agreed for the best women from each country to participate in a GB team. The team has qualified and I expect very good things from the team.

thanks for the comments. The history of soccer in GB and its social ramifications is very interesting to me. It permeates through life more than sports do here in the US.
Do you mean couldnt care less? Youre saying they care?

Old 02-21-2020, 05:58 PM

1,873 posts, read 418,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
I actually prefer watching the women's game from a fair play approach, whilst they are very competitive they don't try and cheat, I don't think I have ever seen a player take a dive ( or a flop as it is often called in North America) or try and pressure the ref into awarding a free kick or a penalty
I agree with you 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or