U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 05:24 AM

8,869 posts, read 7,560,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
i hear you i have mates back in England who support Championships sides (WBA for example) and they all say they prefer the excitement f challenging for the top of that league over being in the EPL, granted more money but having no realistic hope of anything better than mid table and getting creamed by the Manchester sides and Liverpool week in week out, it really is a true fans league
Leicester were promoted fairly recently, not only did they finish higher than 'mid-table' they actually won the bloody thing! Both Sheff Utd and Wolves are recently promoted teams Wolves are playing European football this year and Sheff Utd are fighting for European football next year (they were only promoted this season!). Sheff Utd have also just given my team (Chelsea) a thumping, so this 'no hope of anything better than mid table and getting creamed by Manchester sides' has no reality to it at all really! Besides Manchester Utd are not exaclty (currently) in the same bracket as Liverpool or Manchester City!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 07:46 AM

234 posts, read 55,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Leicester were promoted fairly recently, not only did they finish higher than 'mid-table' they actually won the bloody thing! Both Sheff Utd and Wolves are recently promoted teams Wolves are playing European football this year and Sheff Utd are fighting for European football next year (they were only promoted this season!). Sheff Utd have also just given my team (Chelsea) a thumping, so this 'no hope of anything better than mid table and getting creamed by Manchester sides' has no reality to it at all really! Besides Manchester Utd are not exaclty (currently) in the same bracket as Liverpool or Manchester City!
yea I know some years where some teams (Leicester, Sheffield, Wolves) are able to step up, but as far as consistent winning and dominance goes, its extremely hard to do unless you're one of the Big 6.

Old 07-25-2020, 04:10 AM

1,642 posts, read 412,360 times
Is it true, or just a rumor that uruguayan scoring man Edison Cavani is heading to Leeds ? ? ?

Old 07-26-2020, 07:28 PM

12,832 posts, read 11,334,421 times
Bournemouth & Watford relegated, Aston Villa stays up. Kind of the way I had hoped it would play out, honestly.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Bournemouth & Watford relegated, Aston Villa stays up. Kind of the way I had hoped it would play out, honestly.
yep. Personally I like the Cherries but they didn't play well enough to stay up throughout the year, Villa weren't much better but results don't lie. Just think though, if Bournemouth had gotten those goals against Spurs, City, and Southampton, where they'd be right now. rumors are that Callum Wilson could be on the move to West Ham.

When do you think each of the three relegated clubs will be back?
Personally, Bournemouth will be back first if they keep Eddie Howe. Maybe if they keep Josh King and Stanislas. The club will be through quickly if they can keep Howe. Norwich next but I think they may have a fire sale and sell Cantwell and other youngsters. Watford look hopeless right now, Sarr is headed on, Deeney doesn't know what he wants to do. Will miss all three of them, all had priceless wins over City (Norwich) and Liverpool (Watford).

Old 07-27-2020, 05:39 AM

650 posts, read 179,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post

When do you think each of the three relegated clubs will be back?
Personally, Bournemouth will be back first if they keep Eddie Howe..
i dont see Eddie Howe staying, I am sure bigger clubs with deeper pockets will lure him away

Old 07-27-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
i dont see Eddie Howe staying, I am sure bigger clubs with deeper pockets will lure him away
It's sad, he's the perfect manager for that club but maybe he can't motivate him anymore. We'll see who poaches him.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:40 PM

650 posts, read 179,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post
It's sad, he's the perfect manager for that club but maybe he can't motivate him anymore. We'll see who poaches him.
Villa's owners have promised to invest

Old 07-30-2020, 08:15 AM

1,642 posts, read 412,360 times
Newly promoted Premier League outfit Leeds United have missed out on the signing of Edinson Cavani, with the Uruguayan set to join Benfica following the expiry of his Paris St-Germain contract.

The Elland Road outfit sealed their promotion back to the top-flight last weekend after 16 years away. And chairman Andrea Radrizzani seems determined to make a massive statement signing to mark their return.

After missing out on Zlatan Ibrahimovic, the ambitious Leeds chief instead outlined his hopes of bringing Cavani to West Yorkshire.

The Uruguay international has the status of 'free' player on the market. That means he can demand more in wages and a signing-on fee, having come to the end of his PSG contract.

"In addition to his quality, Cavani could contribute with his physicality and adapt here," Radrizzani said. "But I've never talked about him with the coach (Marcelo Bielsa).

"Having said that, we've certainly thought about him and we'll see. Given he's still available on a free transfer."

But the transfer now looks a no-go according to website Todo Fichajes.

They claim Cavani has now accepted an offer to join Portuguese side Benfica this summer. They claim the Portuguese side has agreed a package with the 33-year-old striker worth around £200 000 a week.

Benfica, who are currently second and could also offer Champions League football, have offered him a two-year deal. As per Fijaches, the transfer could be made official as soon as Wednesday.

Cavani's half-brother and agent, Walter Guglielmone, is said to have negotiated the terms with the Lisbon side.

Uruguayan journalist Sebas Giovanelli described the first meeting as ending very positively. A second round of talks was held this weekend and it now seems an agreement is close.

The signing of Cavani has also been rubberstamped by Benfica president Luis Filipe Vieira, who was present at the latest round of talks.

Leeds could perhaps have stretched to meet his salary demands given their promotion. However, it may have caused some disruption in their camp, with their current top earner, Kalvin Phillips, reported to be on £35 000 a week.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:43 PM

243 posts, read 19,306 times
I lived very close to Leeds during the Revie years, and have followed them to a lesser degree since. If you support/follow Leeds you have to learn to live with disappointment. They did win some cups, but were mainly known for falling at the last hurdle.

I was pleased to see them promoted, my younger brother more so who would from time to time do a 400 mile round trip to watch them play.

These days I am more upset at the fate of Bournemouth, as I lived near there for even longer. Not only have they been relegated, seen the start of the sell off of their best players, but crucially their long serving and outstanding miracle worker of a manager Eddie Howe has now left the club. I cannot see them getting back into the Premier League. It was fun while it lasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer