Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 07:35 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgey121 View Post
Why not watch Australian Football?
Better yet...why not watch Gaelic football and hurling??

Old 03-09-2009, 07:39 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini View Post
As a red-blooded patriotic american I hate soccer. Yet I can't ignore that its still the most watched TV sport in the world, while great exciting sports like NFL and MLB aren't. Someone explain to me: how can such a boring, girly, unappealing sport be watched by people overseas and do they actually get excited by such a boring sport...is it because foreigners like being bored? Don't they like excitement like the NFL?
You ever considered that the world comprises of other countries tham the USA?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:17 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
If I remeber correctly the CONCACAF Champions league was taking place during the playoff run towards the end of last season??? I watched a few games and it seemed like the MLS clubs were sitting out their best players and not even really trying. Maybe it's just me, but that was the vibe I got.

Those teams were competing in MLS regular season, Superliga, US Open Cup, and Champions League. The rosters are not deep enough to do that.

The MLS made some adjustments this season by putting different teams in the Champions League and Superliga which should help.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:28 AM

718 posts, read 2,324,664 times
Of all the ball/puck sports, soccer requires the most skill. It is the most difficult to play as a team. Watch clips of top plays in every sport and soccer will easily be the most impressive. Soccer has the most creativity and improvisation and will blow you away when a remarkable play is made. Watch Maradona and I will laugh if you still call soccer players girly.

Watching Lebron James muscle over someone in the lane or Ray Lewis tackle someone is not very interesting. NFL has just as much stop and go as baseball. Outside of the quarterback, the NFL does not have many skilled positions. Sure Barry Sanders and Jerry Rice were an unbelievable talent but they were anomalies. To watch the everyday Mike Alstotts and Albert Haynesworths is not that exciting. If you are going to use the manliness of the NFL to defend your stance, I have a simple solution for you. Go watch a real man's sport - boxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini View Post
As a red-blooded patriotic american I hate soccer. Yet I can't ignore that its still the most watched TV sport in the world, while great exciting sports like NFL and MLB aren't. Someone explain to me: how can such a boring, girly, unappealing sport be watched by people overseas and do they actually get excited by such a boring sport...is it because foreigners like being bored? Don't they like excitement like the NFL?

Old 03-28-2009, 11:58 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
With the socioeconomic state of the USA, consider that many schools are thinking about not funding athletic teams anymore. The local interest in athletics would come from sponsors and businesses, like in europe, making sports 'club teams'. As this happens, there will be a greater emphasis on winning as a business would not be as interested in a team that represents losing. So more expensive sports like football and hockey will only attract the athletes who excel in them or those whose parents can afford a partial payment.

The remainder of the students will have to get their 'practice time' in more inexpensive sports like basketball or soccer which only require a ball. I think this is what happens in the rest of the world. When your only toy is a ball, soccer is a popular option. When you play as a youth you tend to keep interest as you get older.

Why isnt the US as interested in soccer, likely because only a small fraction played as they grew up. As sports get more expensive I see soccer growth in the US and interest generated. It may take 20 years but it will happen.

As for the current sport, for those that think soccer is slow, try watching the WOrld Cup or the Euro cup, the sport flows rather well. And while its thought that scoring sells tickets, I have seen a number of great hockey games that were 2-1, or 1-0.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,768 times
What's so exciting about basball? Men running a few yards in Pj's and a helmet? That sport is soo boring its more exciting to see paint dry on the wall. And football? All you see is people fall over each other and a fat slob on the sidelines with a headset apparently telling his players what to do. YAWN!!! I take soccer anytime, just like the billions of fans around the world. Always has been sport number one and will be sport number one.

Last edited by Snugglezach; 03-28-2009 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-28-2009, 04:23 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times
I'm sorry I have to laugh laugh when I read soccer is the most difficult of the puck/ball sports. I will site Hockey, when your on blades on ice using a stick to maneuver a puck while not trying to get your clock cleaned. This sport alone takes soccer to school, sorry running while kicking a ball isn't on the same level.

To the other ridiculous statement that football is a bunch of slobs, I would take a football, the real football defensive back over a soccer player any day. See in football they aren't scrawny little boys they are men who are fats and can hit you so it feels you were in a car accident.

I will also point out it has been pretty much voted by most have some sports IQ that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in pro sports.

Beckham vs Reggie Bush

Last edited by Packersnut21; 03-28-2009 at 05:44 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 07:57 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Have you actually tried running and kicking a football at the same time ? I mean without looking like a girl and kicking the ball 20 feet in front of you ? Have you tried keeping the ball at your feet at all times while 11 guys are trying to go through you while getting the ball ?
Watch Ronaldhino and tell me that that is easy ?
YouTube - ronaldihno tricks

I am not an Ice Hockey fan but I know it takes allot of skill to play it. So are you trying to say "Soccer" players are all scrawny little boys ?
YouTube - Extreme Hard Soccer Play Its tough to take hard hits like that. Google Neil Ruddock, Vinnie Jones, Eric Cantona, Roy Keane, Alan Shearer, Dicks and there are many more out there and tell me players are scrawny :S

I dont watch the NFL or American Football because it is too slow. Whats with all the padding in American Football ? I just figure they were too afraid to play Rugby afterall.

Voted by most that has a sports IQ ? I wasnt aware of that vote. Do you think the people that voted even heard of Hurling ? Try hitting that ball with about 5 guys surrounding you trynna hit the ball too. Though I know its not a "Pro Sport" but it is organized like a pro one with thousands of spectators.

YouTube - Best 15 Hurling Goals Of 2008 1

YouTube - OLI hurling best bits!!

David Beckham is an overrated Football Star at best. Lets put Reggie Bush up against Rolandino or Rivaldo or Aguero and see how he does. Hed be left standing still.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:16 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
NFL players go for 12-15 minutes a game. Actually, cut that in half since almost nobody plays both sides of the ball plus special teams. I wonder how effective they'd be at anything requiring a constant effort.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:30 AM

5 posts, read 11,443 times
Default soccer

i believe its a cultural thing... As an aussi, i dont rate soccer highly. here it is mainly played by those from euro and middle eastern backgrounds and rarely are they as physically big. historically, Oz and USA were born out of tough settler types and our sports generally reflect that toughness. typically, the major australian sports are rugby union and Rugby league; 2 of the most brutal contact sports, and the less physical aussi rules. in terms however,of what one finds boring or exciting, i think its really what you are used to. interesting that in rugby, hockey and nfl, violence is resolved on the field and more often than not in the tackle, whereas soccer has little physicality, often no result and seems to foster cowardly crowd violence in a way not generally seen in the other games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer