Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 01:11 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe107 View Post
soccer is popular because the concept is so basic. just like basketball
The concept is to score more points than the other team. That's different from other team sports in what way??

Old 05-01-2009, 05:55 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
The concept is to score more points than the other team. That's different from other team sports in what way??
The way you score points are very simple in both of those sports.

Games like american football are much more complex in that there are a number of different ways you score and different point values.

Same goes for baseball. When you think about it objectively, baseball has to be one of the most confusing games to figure out.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
The way you score points are very simple in both of those sports.
And yet, so many soccer matches end 0-0 or 1-0.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
That doesnt have any effect on the fact that it is a simpler concept. Can you seriously not see that?

Old 05-02-2009, 11:07 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Quote:
So the only offense is that which results in scoring? They can't exactly blow the whistle, line up their teammates in front of the ball and get a free shot at kicking over the goal.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
That doesnt have any effect on the fact that it is a simpler concept. Can you seriously not see that?
No, I can't. Scoring in any team sport is a simple concept, although there are various ways to do it in all team sports. Even with soccer there's more than one way -- within the normal flow of the offense, from a free kick, from a corner, the header or a penalty kick.

Quite frankly, this whole thread has become tiresome, which means I should probably just retire from it. I find the whole argument over which sport is better silly. I like both American football and football (soccer), for different reasons. I don't understand people's need to try to ridicule other sports that others enjoy. I don't have an interest in curling, for example, but if others are enthusiastic about it, then more power to them. All sports require varying degrees of skill and endurance.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:49 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,691 times
I have a neighbor who wont let his kids play any kind of sports because they feel it's beneath them. I would rather a child play soccer, football, baseball something because in the end, regardless of what sport, I think it makes you into a better person. So, while we may fight about scoring and how slow it is, I would say sports in general are a good thing. Plus it gives us stuff to talk about and games to look forward to.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
No, I can't. Scoring in any team sport is a simple concept, although there are various ways to do it in all team sports. Even with soccer there's more than one way -- within the normal flow of the offense, from a free kick, from a corner, the header or a penalty kick.

Quite frankly, this whole thread has become tiresome, which means I should probably just retire from it. I find the whole argument over which sport is better silly. I like both American football and football (soccer), for different reasons. I don't understand people's need to try to ridicule other sports that others enjoy. I don't have an interest in curling, for example, but if others are enthusiastic about it, then more power to them. All sports require varying degrees of skill and endurance.
So by your logic chess is just as simple as checkers?

Old 05-02-2009, 11:56 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini View Post
As a red-blooded patriotic american I hate soccer. Yet I can't ignore that its still the most watched TV sport in the world, while great exciting sports like NFL and MLB aren't. Someone explain to me: how can such a boring, girly, unappealing sport be watched by people overseas and do they actually get excited by such a boring sport...is it because foreigners like being bored? Don't they like excitement like the NFL?
As a red-blooded patriotic American I hate baseball and the NFL is as unwatchable as the NBA.

American professional sports are all snorefests because the action is so slow. The NFL and the NBA practically bleeeeed to death the final 2 minutes of every game with the PARADE OF TIME OUTS!!

Time Outs at the end of a game are nothing but shameless advertising plugs. Soccer doesn't have commercials during the action because THE GAME PLAY is too important to be interrupted by corporate shilling.

Soccer is a free-flowing game. The action doesn't stop. That is what essentially makes it the greatest game on the planet to play and watch.

Sad to say, but I think most Americans are too dumb to appreciate the thrilling, edge of your seat action that a pro soccer game provides. Americans think 0-0 or 1-1 means it was a boring game but they forget that games include scoring chances not just successful scoring conversions. If Soccer awarded 7 points for every goal, maybe more Americans would watch it?

There is no crowd feeling quite like the singing and cheering of a pro soccer game. The NBA blares hip hop songs through speakers in order to rile up the home fans...MLB fans are generally asleep until the 9th inning, when the action finally gets interesting in a baseball game. NFL stadium crowds typical cheer for a TD or boo for a bad penalty or something. But in between---it's remarkably quiet. College football has much more fan passion than pro football.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:59 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Did anyone see Man U smoke Tottenham today? 2 goals from Rooney and one from Ronaldo in a few short minutes in the 2nd half.
It took the mancs' "big guns" to slay spuds today? Arsenal played its Carling Cup scrubs and ran Pompey off the pitch

In Arsene We Trust.....

Arshavin pwns......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.