Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 08:25 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Dumb logic? Football is uncomplicated because it has a relatively low number of rules in comparison to certain other major sports. Rugby or American Football for example, are very complex games that have a far greater number of rules and variables. Just think of the referees involvemement in those games compared to football. The same is true of Tennis or golf. The fact that football's main demographic is the uneducated lower class (certainly in Europe) only adds to this point.

Its probably safe to assume that you are part of this demographic as you a) clearly don't understand 'logic', b) by your own version of 'logic' construct a rebuttal that is deeply flawed in just that, and c) are so defensive about football!

Listen, complexity and skill are two different things. Somebody may be better skilled at throwing a ball at a target than I, but that is not to say that the action is 'complicated'. The best 'ball thrower' in the world maybe very skilled but that is just something that I wouldn't be interested in watching

That's funny because the group I attend soccer games with include two doctors, two school teachers, a computer programmer, an executive for a large financial company, and a small business owner.

That sure sounds like a bunch of uneducated lower class people to me.

Soccer is far from uncomplicated. The complication doesnt come from the rules, it comes from the strategy. Although, I know a lot of people that cant understand the offside rule no matter how many times it is explained to them.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:09 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
That's funny because the group I attend soccer games with include two doctors, two school teachers, a computer programmer, an executive for a large financial company, and a small business owner.

That sure sounds like a bunch of uneducated lower class people to me.

Soccer is far from uncomplicated. The complication doesnt come from the rules, it comes from the strategy. Although, I know a lot of people that cant understand the offside rule no matter how many times it is explained to them.

Attend soccer games because your kids play? Soccer is much more of a kids sport in the US (because of the very reasons I mentioned earlier).

And I really don't buy that people don't understand the offside rule.. tis very simple! And you hang out with Doctors, execs etc??. Although I guess that a common rule in other sports maybe difficult for the soccer crowd

Old 06-26-2009, 10:19 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,346,364 times
You love bureaucracy, too? Rules rule! The only reason a game like American football has so many rules now is because the original rules lacked foresight. Now they have continually amended the laws as athletes have evolved so it's a never-ending book of keep-up.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:33 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,032 times
I don't get why some one makes a moronic statement about soccer then the soccer supports go and make the same moronic statements about football. Your doing the same thing as them, so don't get offended.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Attend soccer games because your kids play? Soccer is much more of a kids sport in the US (because of the very reasons I mentioned earlier).

And I really don't buy that people don't understand the offside rule.. tis very simple! And you hang out with Doctors, execs etc??. Although I guess that a common rule in other sports maybe difficult for the soccer crowd

No, professional soccer games. I have season tickets to a professional team along with the people I mentioned above. Yes, I have a couple of friends that are doctors and execs. No big deal. I also have friends that a typical blue collar workers like truck drivers and mechanics. Guess what? They dont like soccer. I could actually make two columns on a piece of paper listing all my white collar friends on one side and my blue collar on the other and then do the same dividing my soccer fan friends and those that dont like soccer. The list would be identical to a T. That completely contradicts your point about uneducated, lower class people liking soccer. In my experience, it is the other way around. I am not saying anything against football fans or blue collar workers, just that it proves your theory incorrect.

I have found that offsides is by far the most difficult thing for a non-soccer fan to understand about the game. For some reason, people dont understand it. Stoppage time is another thing people have trouble with because other sports just stop when the clock hits 0.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:51 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,184,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Fail to see how being excited and taking your pads off after practice is gay.

When you sink to their level you are no better than them.
Well, my post was not intended to be taken seriously at all. I'm just indicating that so-called "gayness" can be found in every sport - even the most macho ones, like American Football.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:57 AM

664 posts, read 1,946,262 times
I don't know if this has been mentioned but I think soccer is so popular everywhere else because it's so cheap to play. You just need a soccer ball. Thats it plain and simple. When my husband was in Iraq the soldiers would go over there with soccer balls to give away to the children.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:24 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Well, my post was not intended to be taken seriously at all. I'm just indicating that so-called "gayness" can be found in every sport - even the most macho ones, like American Football.

Not you specifically, it's this whole thread. Which I say again was started by a troll. Soccer isn't gay football isn't gay, if you watch either fine. I wish this would be closed because it's just going in circles.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000Lakes View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned but I think soccer is so popular everywhere else because it's so cheap to play. You just need a soccer ball. Thats it plain and simple. When my husband was in Iraq the soldiers would go over there with soccer balls to give away to the children.

Yes, it has been mentioned several times.

However, I dont think it holds much weight only because all sports can be played cheaply.

To play baseball, all you need is a large stick and a rock.

To play football, all you need is some old socks to put together as a ball or a cheap football.

To play hockey, all you need is some sticks and a tennis ball.

You can play all types of sports for cheap. I did it all the time as a kid.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,346,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000Lakes View Post
It's why basketball is so commonplace in the U.S. All you need are two people, a ball and a public park with courts.

The idiocy comes in when people say that the world settles for soccer simply because it's all they can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer