Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:01 AM

184 posts, read 132,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
You love bureaucracy, too? Rules rule! The only reason a game like American football has so many rules now is because the original rules lacked foresight. Now they have continually amended the laws as athletes have evolved so it's a never-ending book of keep-up.
what is so complicated and hard about nfl.they stop every 5 sec for 20 sec to disaide what they will do next.so what is so complicated about nfl

Old 06-27-2009, 03:59 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,453,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gghhgg View Post
what is so complicated and hard about nfl.they stop every 5 sec for 20 sec to disaide what they will do next.so what is so complicated about nfl
Lol from a foreigner, soccer is so much easier to understand from the NFL. Its took me a while to understand the NFL rules,playbooks etc but now I'm taking up the game here in NZ.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:44 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,346,364 times
Quote:
Think of all the intricacies. You have to set at the line of scrimmage except for one person in motion who cannot move toward the line of scrimmage or else it's a false start but the defensive player can move all they want so long as they don't cross the line because then it's offside unless they were goaded into it by an offensive player who moved first....

And that's all before the ball is even in play. What a ****ing waste of time.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Lol from a foreigner, soccer is so much easier to understand from the NFL. Its took me a while to understand the NFL rules,playbooks etc but now I'm taking up the game here in NZ.
false start=offside or penalty kick infringement .interference=foul. what else is there to understand.other person said play book .every game nfl teams use 5 plays that they tweak a little bit,so it looks like different play.what is there so hard to understand.coaches think for players.there is apsolutly nothin complicated about nfl.if anything it is a lot more easier then real football.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
false start=offside or penalty kick infringement .interference=foul. what else is there to understand.other person said play book .every game nfl teams use 5 plays that they tweak a little bit,so it looks like different play.what is there so hard to understand.coaches think for players.there is apsolutly nothin complicated about nfl.if anything it is a lot more easier then real football.
continued
real football need lot more coordination and brains then nfl will ever require.nfl plays are all set while football plays are random and unpredictable,you just don't know from what position danger is coming.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:21 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Think of all the intricacies. You have to set at the line of scrimmage except for one person in motion who cannot move toward the line of scrimmage or else it's a false start but the defensive player can move all they want so long as they don't cross the line because then it's offside unless they were goaded into it by an offensive player who moved first....

And that's all before the ball is even in play. What a ****ing waste of time.

I again state how sad it is for those who attack the other sport. Your no better than the troll who started this topic. Zero knowledge about the sport so you resort to STUPID attacks. Umm, you can use motion before the snap but it's stupid, WOW thats a great argument.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,346,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I again state how sad it is for those who attack the other sport. Your no better than the troll who started this topic. Zero knowledge about the sport so you resort to STUPID attacks. Umm, you can use motion before the snap but it's stupid, WOW thats a great argument.
What don't I know about football? I've watched it my whole life. I finally noticed the faults and pointed them out. Big deal.

Are you trying to defend the staring contest before the ball is snapped? You can theoretically advance the length of the field just by getting the other team to flinch.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:37 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,453,556 times
Quote:
Quite hard to understand that but from an American's point of view it is no dobut that soccer would be harder to understand than the sport you've been bought up with all your life.

For me (and I'd think a hell of a lot of others) , soccer is simple to understand with rarely no confusion, apart from the offside rule.

I'm leaving everything to go upto Auckland where they're the only city to play American Football, I think its going to be alot harder to learn the playbooks etc than it would be in soccer (no offence to soccer).

Old 06-28-2009, 09:24 AM

75 posts, read 574,960 times
I think you can grow into any sports with some involvement. I grew up in a football mad nation and as a six yr old watching soccer with my dad, I could not understand what the fuss was about with grown men chasing a round ball around. Understandably my initial reaction was - why can't they just take the ball and run straight for goal rather than waste time passing. But as I started playing it myself and getting laughed at and seeing how creativity and finese is worshipped and understanding that you can loose someone with one nifty moves rather than trying to outrace him, I became a FANATIC! Same thing with American football, I moved to the US at age 14 and I initially sneered at the sport. It just didn't make sense how people can derive so much joy from over-muscled guys running around in tights and pads. But as I understood the rules of the downs and how life-threatening a game it can be, then I started to enjoy it and again became a FANATIC! I think the most important thing is the quality you are exposed to, if you watch soccer or football in the backwater leagues then you can never appreciate both. To appreciate any sport, go to the big games as see how people pour their souls into it and how precision and mastery is the ultimate decider. Then you appreciate. I still can't stand MLS soccer or Arena football just because in both instance, the talent level is just low. Its not because Americans can't play soccer but Football, MLB, Basketball and even Hockey gets first dips at the premium athletes and soccer for the most parts gets the leftovers.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:59 AM

146 posts, read 387,641 times
what i'd really like to see explained is how millions upon millions of red-blooded american sports fans can sit down and watch 500 miles of nascar, then complain about how boring soccer is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer