Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:21 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini View Post
true, they have nothing but soccer I pity them and their lives I'd kill myself I only had soccer. America rules!
You're either someone who really likes to stir the pot (and I suspect that's it), or you're very insecure. Who cares if most of the rest of the world loves soccer? Who cares if most of the rest of the world doesn't like American football? Everyone can chose what they like and don't like.

As to DC's point, I like soccer. I follow the English Premier League. To me, the beauty in soccer is in the set pieces. I LOVE baseball. Yes, it's part of our culture. It involves skill, timing and precision. Baseball fans know that even when it looks like everyone's standing around waiting for the next pitch, something is going on -- the chess match between pitcher and batter, a pitcher trying to keep the runner on first closer to the base in order to preserve the double-play opportunity, outfielders shifting based on the hitter's tendancies, etc. I LOVE American football -- the passion, the strategy, the execution, the glory of victory and the agony of defeat.

If others don't feel the way I do, so be it.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:25 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The MLS isnt only shown on ESPN. Games are shown on ESPN, ABC, FOX Soccer Channel, HDNet, Telefutura, GOLTV, and Galavision. On top of that all teams have contracts with a local network for games. MLS also allows you to view all games on their website.

Okay fine but as I stated atleast on ESPN soccer ratings are down and from where they were were not even close to that of the NBA. Also judging from the 4.4 million that watched the NHL's winter classic I would say MLS isnt that close their either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
A walk-off homerun is the duel between two people with a bunch of guys standing on the field and a bunch more sitting on the bench.

If you like baseball on its alleged merits, do you also like cricket? I'm guessing not, because it isn't American.
I will be honest and I dont know much about Cricket. I saw some in the Olympics but not enough to really understand it.

Sorry, but there is nothing wrong with embracing a sport because it is your countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Who cares if most of the rest of the world doesn't like American football? Everyone can chose what they like and don't like.

Thats is one of the best points. I don't like soccer doesn't mean I'm saying no one else should be allowed to watch it. People should be allowed to watch or play whatever sport they want.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:36 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I wonder if soccer is super-popular overseas also b/c anyone can get a ball and play? It is not heavily equipment-dependent like football/baseball/basketball. So even poor kids can play on the street and everyone can grow up with intimate firsthand knowledge of the game.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:41 AM

30 posts, read 56,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I wonder if soccer is super-popular overseas also b/c anyone can get a ball and play? It is not heavily equipment-dependent like football/baseball/basketball. So even poor kids can play on the street and everyone can grow up with intimate firsthand knowledge of the game.
you can't play football with just a ball, you need foam pads and a plastic helmets or otherwise its impossible to play, and no backyard football doesn't count or touch football. same with baseball,you can't just get a ball, you also need a bat. for soccer you don't need shoes, you just need a ball, and since 99% of the planet is dirt poor they simply "like" sports that you just need a ball (or even a rock or coconut) and you kick it around. But its not that soccer is popular there as in people actually like it, its simply because its the cheapest sport ever invented, so its all they can afford. If they could afford plastic helmets and foam padding, they'd like football more because football is just so much more exciting. Soccer is basically popular for the same reason that rice is popular, not because its good but because its third world cheap. Soccer is on its way out as other countries become more able to afford bats and basketball nets and football pads, I bet in 50 years football will be the #1 sport in the world and soccer will be almost forgotten.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:13 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Okay fine but as I stated atleast on ESPN soccer ratings are down and from where they were were not even close to that of the NBA. Also judging from the 4.4 million that watched the NHL's winter classic I would say MLS isnt that close their either..
In the age of the DVR and online television, ratings are worthless.

Most everyone I know watches MLS games on the internet. I know that I do other than the Wizards games.

Ratings use to work but are no longer accurate. The networks know that and are currently working on a system to replace Neilson's.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:14 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
I really believe this point involves some wishful thinking. Consider NFL Europe. It's true that there are a lot of NFL fans in Europe, particularly the UK. Still, the league failed, and if you ask European fans of the NFL why they didn't support NFL Europe, they'll point to the fact that the quality of play was so inferior to the NFL. And in the global age of television, they don't have to settle for an inferior product when they can get the best on television (some NFL games are broadcast on Sky Sports in the UK).

With that in mind, let's turn back to soccer......Why should American soccer fans flock to MLS when there are cable networks that make available matches from the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga? The best American soccer players will always go to the European leagues, because that's where the money is.
Nice approach, front-runner. You assess MLS based on a moment in time. It was just two decades ago that Spain and Italy laughed at the English leagues. Look how things have changed. MLS is not static and thus it will not always be snubbed by you Arsenal and Man U "fans" from the U.S.

Comparing soccer here to gridiron there is even dumber. Soccer is one of the biggest sports here by participation. Gridiron in Europe? Hardly. Not even close.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I really believe this point involves some wishful thinking. Consider NFL Europe. It's true that there are a lot of NFL fans in Europe, particularly the UK. Still, the league failed, and if you ask European fans of the NFL why they didn't support NFL Europe, they'll point to the fact that the quality of play was so inferior to the NFL. And in the global age of television, they don't have to settle for an inferior product when they can get the best on television (some NFL games are broadcast on Sky Sports in the UK).

With that in mind, let's turn back to soccer......Why should American soccer fans flock to MLS when there are cable networks that make available matches from the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga? The best American soccer players will always go to the European leagues, because that's where the money is.

It's not wishful thinking when its happening at a rabid rate. The MLS is growing at a faster rate then the NFL and MLB did when they started.

Owners are lining up for expansion teams. Expansion fees went from 10 million to 50 million in just 4 years due to demand.

Attendance has increased every single season since 1997.

Sponsorship and television deals are going through the roof.

The CBA is up next year and the league is due for a new deal that will increase the salary cap and allow teams to offer more money which will bring both domestic and international stars home. Many international stars have expressed interested in playing in the MLS but will not currently due to the low salaries.

There are now 7 soccer specific stadiums in the MLS and 5 more either being built or getting ready to be built.

The new expansion team in Seattle has sold 18,000 season tickets. The new expansion team in Philadelphia has 11,000 deposits and dont start play for another year and a half.

ESPN is considering starting ESPN3 which will be a soccer focused channel which will feature shows geared towards MLS along with games.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
In the age of the DVR and online television, ratings are worthless.

Most everyone I know watches MLS games on the internet. I know that I do other than the Wizards games.

Ratings use to work but are no longer accurate. The networks know that and are currently working on a system to replace Neilson's.

So the one thing that proves that the NFL, NBA and MLB draw more attention doesn't work. Yup I mean I dont know anyone who watches sports on TV anymore. I guess everyone will record the Super Bowl, and watch the World series on the internet. Come on

Old 01-13-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Attendance has increased every single season since 1997.

ESPN is considering starting ESPN3 which will be a soccer focused channel which will feature shows geared towards MLS along with games.
Sorry but if you read my link you will see one attendance is down MLS in 2008. On top of that ESPN is going to start a soccer network when the MLS ratings drew an average of 250,000 viewers? Why start a new network to something you can draw viewership in?

Link

Quote:
The new expansion team in Philadelphia has 11,000 deposits and dont start play for another year and a half.

According to the news they might not even have a stadium to play in

Link

Old 01-13-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Nice approach, front-runner. You assess MLS based on a moment in time. It was just two decades ago that Spain and Italy laughed at the English leagues. Look how things have changed. MLS is not static and thus it will not always be snubbed by you Arsenal and Man U "fans" from the U.S.

Comparing soccer here to gridiron there is even dumber. Soccer is one of the biggest sports here by participation. Gridiron in Europe? Hardly. Not even close.

Exactly.

I cant stand when their are soccer fans in the US that refuse to support MLS. They refuse to support it because it isnt the quality of European leagues.

Guess what?

It takes support and revenue to get there. The league may not be the quality of the EPL or La Liga but it wont get there if the soccer fans in the US arent buying tickets and giving it support.

If you are a real soccer fan, you should want the MLS to become like the quality of those leagues. It can happen but you cant not give the support and have those expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer