Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:58 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
This may be totally off base, but it seems right now the top 4 contenders for the last 2 expansion cities are.....

1. Saint Louis
2. Montreal
3. Ottawa
4. New York City
NYC can't even support the red bulls, nevermind an entire other team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 10:26 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
This is something to think about:Expansion of Major League Soccer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-10-2009, 08:13 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post

There really isnt anything in that article that isnt already discussed in this thread.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:59 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
NYC can't even support the red bulls, nevermind an entire other team.
Not can't. Won't. Even when Pele came here to play for the Cosmos, interest in soccer wasn't much more than minimal. This just isn't a soccer town, period.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Not can't. Won't. Even when Pele came here to play for the Cosmos, interest in soccer wasn't much more than minimal. This just isn't a soccer town, period.
That was then, this is now. I say move to Red Bulls to Newark,NJ and start another expansion team in NYC and name them the Cosmos.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
That was then, this is now. I say move to Red Bulls to Newark,NJ and start another expansion team in NYC and name them the Cosmos.

Do you do any research before posting?

Red Bull Park which opens next season is in Harrison, NJ.

The owner of the prospective NYC2 team is the owner of the New York Mets and if they were granted a team, they would likely build the stadium near Shea.

The naming rights of the Cosmos is still owned by someone. They have said repeatedly that they will not give them up.

The MLS doesnt just place and move teams wherever they want. Owners own the teams and make those decisions.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

The owner of the prospective NYC2 team is the owner of the New York Mets and if they were granted a team, they would likely build the stadium near Shea.

The naming rights of the Cosmos is still owned by someone. They have said repeatedly that they will not give them up.

The MLS doesnt just place and move teams wherever they want. Owners own the teams and make those decisions.
To say nothing of the fact that even if all the other conditions were met, there's absolutely no way some new stadium is going up anywhere near Citifield (Shea's been torn down, you know).

Old 08-17-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
To say nothing of the fact that even if all the other conditions were met, there's absolutely no way some new stadium is going up anywhere near Citifield (Shea's been torn down, you know).

From what I have read, if the Met's owner (I always forget his name) is granted a team, a stadium would be built near the Met's stadium.

I have never been to NY so I know nothing of that area but thats what has been reported. I dont know if they plan on tearing something down or what.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
From what I have read, if the Met's owner (I always forget his name) is granted a team, a stadium would be built near the Met's stadium.

I have never been to NY so I know nothing of that area but thats what has been reported. I dont know if they plan on tearing something down or what.
Whoever wrote that report is on drugs. Nothing of the sort is going to happen.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Still, wouldn't it make sense for NJ to have its own team and NYC have its own team?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer