Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:51 PM

51 posts, read 129,089 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on Sheffield United-West Ham? Looks like Sheffield United is going to the high court after losing it's appeal against relegation. I think Sheffield got screwed. I'm thinking that when the FAPL made the decision to fine West Ham they were looking at fining them or docking them points or some combination there of. At the time no one thought the Hammers would climb out of the relegation zone. So the FAPL made a money grab by maxing out the fine thinking, well they're gonna get relegated whether we dock them points or not so let's take as much cash as we can. It didn't quite work out that way and United is paying the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 11:02 AM

434 posts, read 1,653,296 times
Sheffield should not be relegated. West Ham cheated plain and simple, and shouldn't be rewarded for that.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:41 PM

468 posts, read 1,637,350 times
West Ham just had one of the most peculiar seasons I've ever seen out of a football team. Starting out with Pardew, firing him, and essentially trading him to Charlton for Curbishley. Then you have those two Argentinians owned by that guy Kia Joborchian or whatever, one of the players who sat on the bench, got loaned to Liverpool and helped them to the Champions League final, you have the 23 year old England U21 captain getting blamed for everything in the midst of a relegation battle where Tevez was the one that secured their stay in the EPL by scoring the goal in the 1-0 victory over ManYoo, the team he will likely be playing for next year.

Dayum, that's kinda insane...and yes, Sheffield United got screwed.

Before the whole Tevez/Mascherano thing occured, I thought Pardew was doing a horrible job with the team. In my personal opinion, their club was full of talent that wasn't being tapped. I mean at the start of their season, their GK was third choice England goalkeeper (Green), they had Ferdinand and Konchesky at the back (remember when Konchesky was though to be the future right back for England?), Yossi Benayoun in the midfield with the guy that beats up Asians (kidding, but remember he did? Bowyer...), and up front, Harewood, record signing at that time Ashton, along with Carlton Cole. With Tevez and Mascherano I thought they were set for at least an Inter Toto invitation, but man, Pardew just kept running them into the ground, as the team was seemingly just unmotivated...they didn't deserve to stay in the EPL by their backroom manuverings and by their horrible coaching efforts.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:57 PM

715 posts, read 1,669,903 times
nice win for the US under 20 team...beating Brazil. does this mean we'll make noise in the next World Cup???

Old 07-08-2007, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,138 times
A win over Brazil at any level is encouraging, but I think success at the World Cup will depend largely on the draw.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:14 AM

I personally think the biggest problem with the USANT right now is Landon Donovan. We, as a nation are placing most of our hopes and dreams that he will deliver and become the player we thought he'd be one day when he won the MVP for the FIFA U-17 championships. But after three failed attempts at Leverkusen, each time complaning of not cracking the first team, he has no other option but to play in the USA, where he's thought of as somewhat of a cult hero for the US team.

I like certain aspects of the USANT. I love Eddie Johnson...once he refines his skill alongside his pace, he will be a very good player. Players like Reyna, Beasley, McBride, all our goalies, Bocanegra, Cory Gibbs, DeMerit, etc have all tested and tried their game abroad and that's why we're doing so well now. But when we add mister Donovan to the picture in a big game, it all crumples. Just look at the last World Cup.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 07-08-2007, 04:22 PM

715 posts, read 1,669,903 times
adu and altidore are the future. i was beginning to think adu was a bit overrated, but wow, he's played well of late.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
adu and altidore are the future. i was beginning to think adu was a bit overrated, but wow, he's played well of late.
I seriously thought so also. I mean, granted he was 14 playing in the top league in North America, but for the past four years he's seriously done nothing in the MLS and negociated a trade to Utah. But man, he seriously came on this past week. I like our future. When Donovan passes over, we'll be fine again.

Then again, if I were him, I would've taken up Inter's offer when he was 10 to move to Italy. But that's just me...

Old 07-09-2007, 01:24 AM

51 posts, read 129,089 times
I agree that Altidore is a player, but I'm not sold on Adu. My bet is that Altidore will be in Europe by January. As far as U.S. chances at the World Cup I think they can do well. Oh, and Donovan's not so bad, but I don't think your main guy can be an MLS player.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:33 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,073 times
Love Red Star ( from Serbia - my home country ). Other than that, I like Chelsea, Barcelona, and Liverpool. But, of course Red Star is my first pick. Always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer