Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:48 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times

Advertisements

Donavon is way overrated. Adu, well, I dont rate him very highly either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 12:50 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,219 times
Donovan seems to scared to go abroad again to get better. He prefers to be a big fish in a little pond and therefore will never be as good as he has the potential to be.

Adu needs to get himself into a country with a solid developmental program if he is ever going to have true success. Holland or France would be a good choice. He does well when compared to kids his own age, but put him against adults, and he is bah. The MLS is not going to help solve that and if anything, will hinder his development.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:22 PM

468 posts, read 1,637,284 times
I mean when he was younger Adu had the chance to go to basically anywhere he wanted; he had a huge developmental deal with Inter on the table but his mom made him not take it. Now that he's approaching 18 (only!), he's gotta go. It would be a dream for American citizens alike if he joined a team like Ajax, under the reigns of Danny Blind, where John O'Brien essentially became the holding midfielder he is today. But of course, he won't go. He's one of the most marketable players in the USA now, and alongside his promotional deals with Sierra Mist, I doubt he'd want to leave.

I wish Bradley would realize Donovan's uselessness and shelve him. I would LOVE to see Eddie and Brian McBride up front together instead. McBride's ability in the air, his experience in England and Eddie's pace would (I think) be a first step in solving the problems the USA has scoring right now. The combination of Howard/Hahnemman is solid, the defense is fine and the midfield is getting younger and in my opinion, better, with players like Feilhaber going abroad. I mean, this could be the golden age for American football, but it's just gotta happen. I think hiring Bradley was the first step in the wrong direction when they had Pekerman on the table, and even Houllier for that matter.

Donovan has a lifetime contract with MLS. All the lustre he built up playing domestically would be ruined if he went abroad, as everyone would realize once and for all, he is nowhere near world class. I've been saying this for the last 8 years or so, ever since he first came back to the San Jose 'Clash' from Leverkusen, and trust me, I've tried to like him. But ever since the 2004 Champions League semifinal match against Liverpool when Donovan stunk it up and complained his way back to the USA, it showed me that this guy doesn't have any, and should grow some huevos. I've come to accept the fact he wants to live out his life as the pretty boy of US football, doesn't want to improve, and live the laid back California lifestyle, so I can't be buggered by him anymore.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:47 PM

51 posts, read 129,082 times
Brian McBride? By the time the next World Cup rolls around McBride will be strapping on a pair of Depends instead of a cup. I believe he's 35, that's an old footballer.

Anyway, those of you who say Landon Donovan is not a world class player are right. I would argue that there's long drop off between being world class and not being good enough to play for Team USA. On playing ability alone there is no question that Donovan is one of the top USA players. If your argument is that there are reasons other than playing ability that should influence a player's selection and that Donovan falls short there, well yeah that's a legitimate argument.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:23 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,219 times
Donovan seems to be doing better in the national squad as a winger instead of a striker.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:13 AM

103 posts, read 392,080 times
I love football too!But I don't care who is the winner.I just like them play the games,during that time.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:01 PM

468 posts, read 1,637,284 times
I'm talking about McBride for now...

We have some long term answers at the forward positions. If McBride can squeeze out another year or two, we'd be fine. But of course he has to go ahead and quit international football, so oh well.

Our U20 team is doing awesome. Glad to see it working out...

Old 07-13-2007, 10:31 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
The U20 dosent always go to the First team form, even when they progress. Irelands U20 did great for ages, winning comps, and dire when they went into the First team.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:37 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,492,598 times
LOVE football!

Follow and watch the English, Spanish, Italian and some German league games on FSC and GolTV.

Like watching Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Inter Milan. And every year there's always some teams that cmoe out playing brilliant football, e.g. Valencia a few years back, Villareal when Riquelme was weaving his magic.

For sheer artistic football, it's hard to beat Barcelona and Arsenal (although neither had stellar seasons last season). ManU did play some great football with Ronaldo at the helm. For all the money they spent, Chelsea is desperately boring. For some reason I really want Liverpool to always do well. Let's see how Torres does in England.

As far as players, Cristiano Ronaldo really blossomed last season. Although Kaka showed him how it's done in the Champions League. The one kid who is dangerously good is Lionel Messi -- it's scary to think how much better he'll be. Was really hoping Robinho would be something special, but so far he hasn't lived up to the hype -- he still has time though.

Internationally, used to like the play of Brazil, but right now Argentina seems to be playing more of the samba football. I was really pulling for Argentina to win the Copa America with their beautiful passing game.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:53 PM

715 posts, read 1,669,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
As far as players, Cristiano Ronaldo really blossomed last season. Although Kaka showed him how it's done in the Champions League.
speaking of Kaka...you should read about him on Wikipedia. He overcame a terrible injury and is one of the top players in the world now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer