Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:56 PM

747 posts, read 2,757,537 times

Advertisements

Bayern Munich have set up the 2nd leg at Old Trafford to be an absolute cracker

Coming up tomorrow: Barcelona vs. Arsenal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 12:14 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,319 times
Rooney is out 2-4 weeks, that could mean very bad things for Man U.

It also means that this could cool Rooney down before the WC.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:57 PM

921 posts, read 1,094,960 times
Yeah, this injury came in the worst moment for Utd.
The information that he is going to be 2-4 weeks out is still not official.
I am afraid the injury is more serious that at first thought.
Still waiting for the official info. Nothing yet on manutd.com.
However, Utd should've put to bed that game in the first half.
They scored early, had a few chances and then...they stopped playing.
I don't know why, but that is happening to Utd a lot when they play away in Europe.
They sometimes just stop playing.
Now, they have a huge task to do next Wednesday.
Bayern is strong, but I think Utd are capable of winning that game by 1:0.
That is my prediction. Giggs to score the winner toward the end.
C'mon Utd!!!

Old 03-31-2010, 03:00 PM

Arsenal 2- Barcelona 2

I still don't know how this game ended 2:2.
Absolute dominance by Barcelona for 80 min.
71%-29% possession in the first half.
Dozens of shots on goal.
At the end, good result for Arsenal.
A lot of squad problems for both teams for the return leg.
Fabregas will not play (2nd yellow), but also Barca central defensive pair Pique and Puyol will miss the game.
Still, I don't think Arsenal will go through.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:27 PM

Fabregas out for the 2nd leg, Arshavin probably out. Very tough for the Gunners even though Barca will be missing their central defence.

It will be interesting to see if Wenger starts Walcott at the Nou Camp. I think he will be tempted to, especially if Arshavin cannot start. But I'm not yet convinced Theo can make such an impact over 90 minutes - he is the kinda player who looks best when the defence is tiring and his pace makes the difference.

Rooney is a HUGE blow for United. No one actually knows how bad it is, apparently they'll come back to Manchester today (spent the night in Munich) and will do a scan on Thursday. So all the reports are from outsiders looking in, even insiders won't know anything until scans are complete

Old 04-01-2010, 01:37 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
Fabregas out for the 2nd leg, Arshavin probably out. Very tough for the Gunners even though Barca will be missing their central defence.

It will be interesting to see if Wenger starts Walcott at the Nou Camp. I think he will be tempted to, especially if Arshavin cannot start. But I'm not yet convinced Theo can make such an impact over 90 minutes - he is the kinda player who looks best when the defence is tiring and his pace makes the difference.

Rooney is a HUGE blow for United. No one actually knows how bad it is, apparently they'll come back to Manchester today (spent the night in Munich) and will do a scan on Thursday. So all the reports are from outsiders looking in, even insiders won't know anything until scans are complete
as a Gooner I still like Theo as a 30min player, not 90. Dont forget he was running at Maxwell, looks like Abidal will be back at left back.

Theo is very frustrating to watch, he's got pace but lacks ball control and crossing ability. But sometimes pace is enough. If you watch the goal his final touch almost got away from him and the shot itself really wasn't taken that well but it went in and really provided a spark to The Arsenal. I will say this team, perhaps still not mature enough and needing more verteran leadership that I wish Wenger would've bought, has matured and doesn't wilt so much under pressure.

to me arshavin hasn't done alot lately, like he's disinterested. I'd love to have RVP#11 back.

Nasri was impressive I thought. I'm assuming Marquez will cover at CB, he's not at all in form. The second leg will be amazing as the ManU/Bayern tie will be as well.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:26 PM

Agreed, which goes a long way towards explaining why he is not a definite starter for either Arsenal or England. His career started off with a bang, but has not really come close to reaching the heights once expected of him.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:58 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
Arsenal 2- Barcelona 2

I still don't know how this game ended 2:2.
Absolute dominance by Barcelona for 80 min.
71%-29% possession in the first half.
Dozens of shots on goal.
At the end, good result for Arsenal.
A lot of squad problems for both teams for the return leg.
Fabregas will not play (2nd yellow), but also Barca central defensive pair Pique and Puyol will miss the game.
Still, I don't think Arsenal will go through.

First off, Barca dominated for about the first hour....not 80 minutes. After Walcott scored in the 69th, Barca began to look uncomfortable...defending awkwardly until Cesc scored the equalizer with a broken leg..making him an instant Arsenal legend.

Barca is great at going forward...but put them on the back foot and they no longer look unbeatable.

I still expect them to go through, no doubt meeting Man U (since the draw gave them virtually a free pass) in the final. Once there I suspect we'll see much the same result as last year..

I'm a big EPL and Arsenal supporter, but to me Barca look easily like the best side in the world..

Last edited by Upton; 04-01-2010 at 03:15 PM..

Old 04-01-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
First off, Barca dominated for about the first hour....not 80 minutes. After Walcott scored in the 69th, Barca began to look uncomfortable...defending awkwardly until Cesc scored the equalizer with a broken leg..making him an instant Arsenal legend.

Barca is great at going forward...but put them on the back foot and they no longer look unbeatable.
Agreed. Except for the 'instant legend' part. Cesc was probably an Arsenal legend regardless, I don't think a penalty kick (broken foot or not) makes any difference to his legacy. In fact, if his foot is really broken, that was quite a reckless move. Luckily for him, Victor Valdes had a very ordinary reaction.

Quote:
I still expect them to go through, no doubt meeting Man U (since the draw gave them virtually a free pass) in the final. Once there I suspect we'll see much the same result as last year..
There really are no free passes at this level, despite that sounding like a cliche. Real Madrid found out the hard way against Lyon, as did United against Bayern (although the latter tie isn't finished and could yet change at Old Trafford).

Old 04-02-2010, 07:54 AM

There really are no free passes at this level, despite that sounding like a cliche. Real Madrid found out the hard way against Lyon, as did United against Bayern (although the latter tie isn't finished and could yet change at Old Trafford).[/quote]

Exactly.
There are no free passes, not only at this level, in the group stages too.
Liverpool anyone?
Man Utd a few seasons back (05-06), was last in the group of Villareal, Benfica and Lille.
So, to say that Bayern Munich is like "free pass" to semi finals is just ludicrous.
They are strong and expereinced and have very good manager who has healthy record in the CL.
Return leg will be tough one for Utd and now without Rooney it seems even more complicated.
But they have only themselves to blame for this situation.
Still, 2:1 from the first leg is not a bad result and there is a good chance to progress.
Let's just hope Berbatov will perform and finally prove the critics wrong.
C'mon United!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer