U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 09:31 PM

5 posts, read 26,458 times

Advertisements

Hello all-
Friends of mine just bought a house in Greenwood and I drove down with them for the closing and fell in love with the town. The people are so nice and it seems like a wonderful town. I have so many questions
Can anyone tell me how to find out about average electric bills, water, sewage bills etc. Trying to figure out the cost of living there. Seems extremely reasonable compared to NH. My elect bill can average 350 - 400 in the summer with the pool and a/c. How do the local folks feel about lesbian couples? Any violent hate crimes etc. What is the job market like there. To anyone who lives there, you are blessed with a beautiful town. These probably sound like strange questions, but I am trying to get a feel for the cost to live there as well as the cultural environment. I am looking for any and all information possible. If we move down it will be a big deal since we have to move 14 exotic birds, three dogs and a cat. Big move. NH is so nice, but has become so unaffordable. Thank you to any who answer this. I really look forward to your responses.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 12:12 AM

6,811 posts, read 14,927,108 times
I'm a gay man who has lived in South Carolina for a number of years. I don't know a lot about Greenwood, specifically, when it comes to that particular small town, but I will tell you that the upstate of South Carolina is the most conservative part of the state. You may not have any problems in Greenwood, but you won't find an established gay and lesbian community there, either. I live in Columbia, which has a very large and active community, so if you do decide to move to Greenwood, you'd only be about an hour from here. As far as the cost of living, I live in a 2200 square foot house and my electric and gas bills (2 people) average a little over $200 a month with bills almost never over $300. I wouldn't think it would be much different in Greenwood. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:08 AM

49 posts, read 260,777 times
You might want to stay out of greenwood being a lesbian. Columbia would be a better choice for you.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:49 PM

13 posts, read 40,390 times
I agree about staying out of a very small town. People are funny, I moved here from Atlanta. It is very different here. You just have to be careful in small towns. I think Big Citys are the best.
By the way, What Kind of Birds do you have.
I have a Blue and Gold and two others.
I love my Birds, they are just very loud these days.

good luck
dobbie girl

Old 06-24-2007, 04:53 PM

I have everything from large cockatoos down to cockatiels. they are so much fun.

I am starting to look outside the Columbia city limits. Hoping to get a couple of acres.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:53 PM

6,811 posts, read 14,927,108 times
The Cedar Creek area in northern Richland County is beautiful and is fairly inexpensive.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:59 PM

264 posts, read 775,532 times
Birdmom, I am a SC native and have lived here most of my life...and I am also a lesbian. I would HIGHLY recommend that you avoid the smaller towns, particularly in the midlands and upstate, but even in the Lowcountry its hard. My partner and I are moving from a small town near Charleston because we are just tired of fighting with the local officials. We've found a very nice bit of property in Oregon and hope to be moving in the fall.
The city of Charleston, particularly the West Ashley area, has a large gay/lesbian population, as do the cities of Columbia and Asheville, NC (My personal favorite...love the mountains!). Utility bills in the Charleston area run around $200-300 (lights, water and sewer combined) depending on how well you tolerate the heat..lol. Taxes on my home (1200sqft) run around $700 a year. Insurance will depend on how close you are to the ocean or a flood zone.
Good luck with your move and hope you have a better time than we have had.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:43 PM

110 posts, read 740,017 times
Wesacat:

You said you property taxes are approx $700 for a 1200 sq ft house. What was the price paid on your home that was it was based upon to get $700? You also said that insurance depends how close you are to the ocean or a flood plain. How far do you have to go before the home owners insurance isn't so high? Is Summerville considered too close the beach?

Thanks for your input.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:02 PM

Thank you to all who have replied to my initial post. We are very much looking forward to moving to South Carolina. It is my hope that we will be able to do there, what we do here. That is to have a home and work outside doing the landscape. Enjoying evenings on the porch and meeting some wonderful people. We have bigots here in NH as well. We just really like to keep a low profile lifestyle. I am not the type of person to march in a parade to celebrate who I am. I am not an activist by any stretch of the imagination. We are people just like anyone who want the same american dream. I hope that we can find a spot in SC that will afford us that. We are actually looking to buy land closer to Columbia for the ease of commuting for jobs. I do not want to live in the City, so we are looking on the outskirts. Especially with the birds. They do love to make noise.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:31 PM

264 posts, read 775,532 times
Susie4,
I got a good deal on my home because i bought it just after the military base closed. I only paid 38,000 for it but ive had to refinance it since then at MUCH more than that.
As for the insurance, There is a map the insurance companies go by that shows the most inland extent of the worst possible storm surge. Im not sure where you can find the map..perhaps on the weather service website. Summerville is well away from the coast though and is not in a flood area. The highest prices will be along the coast and on the islands, prices drop as you move west.
Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina