Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 06:09 AM

130 posts, read 266,655 times

Advertisements

Avoid towns in S.C. with less than 10,000 population. They are generally run by people who were born there and went to school there. Not serious in itself, but this is usually their only qualitifcation for holding public office and they do not appreciate opinions from "outsiders." And you will always be an outsider. They will gladly let you join their organizations (and do the work), take your contributions and pay taxes, etc., but will not welcome your opinions.
Don't even think about running for office. They much prefer to keep the Good Ol' Boys and Gals in office, especially if they are over 70. They focuse on the Good Old Days and ignore the future.
What this means is that there is no progress, small businesses do not flourish or fail outright. Very few, if any, grocery stores, drug stores, hardware stores, restaurants, etc. May have one or two, but you may not like them. Medical care is almost non-existent.
End result is high taxes and higher living expenses because you have to drive everywhere.
Only exceptions are those towns that share a boundary with a large city.

Last edited by The Cid; 09-24-2010 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 07:00 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Thumbs up Small towns are awesome !

Small towns in SC are awesome !

I love Easley ...I am not sure the population of this town ..

Old 09-24-2010, 11:46 AM

Default Easley is better

Have lived in Easley and it is much better. It is larger-well over 10,000 and then add in Powdersville, etc. It also has a more cosmopolitan population due to its proximity to Greenville and Clemson. In fact, is a bedroom community for Greenville, Anderson and Clemson to a great extent.
That's why I say avoid the towns under 10,000, especially those around 5,000 or less.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:59 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I get the feeling you moved there with a 'holier than thou' attitude and had the idea that you were going to show these small town hicks the way it should be done. I've heard this many times before.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 AM

Default Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I get the feeling you moved there with a 'holier than thou' attitude and had the idea that you were going to show these small town hicks the way it should be done. I've heard this many times before.
Lived my whole life in SC, almost all of it in small towns-current one for over 25 years. However, I am also a realist and know the facts when I see them. Actually served on town council and in appointive offices for a while, so I know the people and the government "leaders."
All you have to do is look at the closed businesses, lack of services and businesses, poor schools, etc.
Towns over 10,000 or abutting big cities are fine. It is the small, rural ones that have little to offer.
Have seen many out of towners move here and then relocate to larger cities when they discovered it was a mistake.
I know SC-may be different where you are.

Last edited by The Cid; 09-26-2010 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-28-2010, 08:55 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
What towns are you referring to? Even in SC.... all small towns arent created equal....Be careful in your response or else Ernest T Bass may throw a rock through your window.....

Old 10-10-2010, 10:20 PM

191 posts, read 693,122 times
These small towns have a right to keep things the way they are. But you have the right idea, if you don't like them, avoid them and don't try and "make them change their ways." It's great that like minded people can get together and carve out their own little niche in this world, though. Not every town needs a Walmart or BiLo.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:41 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Small S.C. towns

Back in the early fifties, I started visiting with my grandparents in their summer residence, a small farm house outside of Plum Branch, S.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina