Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:22 PM

20 posts, read 40,459 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!!

I'm getting ready to graduate this coming May with my Master's in Speech Pathology and am looking to get out of Ohio as fast as possible! I'm from the Cleveland area and just feel like if I stay here I'll become rooted and never get to see anything other than the snow covered Cleveland area. So, I'm looking into South Carolina, but don't know much about the area and which city would be a good fit for me.

I'm a 25 year old female, not a huge partier, but not someone who wants to sit in her apartment and do absolutely nothing all day either. Living near the beach wouldn't be so horrible either I want an area that I can definitely have a different feel than Cleveland/Ohio in general.

I am aware that I should have a job lined up before I move to another area, but am not sure where to even start looking to narrow my search down. I will be able to get a job in either the healthcare field as well as a school setting.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 09:59 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
i'm a buckeye transplant myself. lived down here now 7 years.

greenville, rock hill, columbia, charleston, myrtle beach, hilton head maybe...... the aiken / augusta area.

those above are the only places worth looking into.

you'll find PLENTY of ohioans in all those places as well.

i'm like you. i had a decent job in Ohio but felt like that if i didnt get out while the getting was good id wake up and be 50 and stuck there haha.

i live in greenville and its not bad. wishing and trying to get into the rock hill area only b/c of its access to charlotte. charleston is where my parents live now and surprisingly would not mind living there either.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times
Being 25 years old, with a masters degree and your whole life ahead of you.....South Carolina should be the absolute last state you consider moving to. It is a dead end state, with bad leadership and too stuck in the past (mud) to make any drastic changes anytime soon. Not trying to offend anyone but I must keep it real about my observations while living there.

If you are looking for a change of scenery and feel you must live in the south then may I suggest Charlotte or Atlanta.....you will pay more in cost of living but both places have more to offer a young woman than anywhere I have seen in South Carolina. The only reason most move to SC is the cheap cost of living....but cheap cost of living is not everything!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:08 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
A young person with a master's in speech pathology should be able to find plenty of work in S.C. I just read in the newspaper here yesterday that New Yawkuhs, many of whom have moved down here, are trying to get rid of their New Yawk accents because, in their words, it makes them sound dumb. I never realized it, but it holds them back, especially when outside of New York. Read it at thestate.com. Not trying to offend anyone.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:01 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
A young person with a master's in speech pathology should be able to find plenty of work in S.C. I just read in the newspaper here yesterday that New Yawkuhs, many of whom have moved down here, are trying to get rid of their New Yawk accents because, in their words, it makes them sound dumb. I never realized it, but it holds them back, especially when outside of New York. Read it at thestate.com. Not trying to offend anyone.
That just made my day! LOL!

Old 11-22-2010, 06:34 PM

20 posts, read 40,459 times
Thanks everyone for their input! Since I don't know much about the area, it's really nice of everyone to post their thoughts on it! Since there are such differing opinions, I have some questions

NewYorkBorn - One of my friends just moved back to Ohio from Atlanta and one of my friends from college lives near the area and both have advised me against moving down there because of how the area is. Also, I'm not looking any more south than SC at this point. I don't really mind the politics or anything in that aspect of any state I live in (look up Cleveland's political offices...they're pretty horrible), but what else makes it such a bad area?

Greenvillebuckeye - I was looking into Charleston and was happy to see it was on your list! I've heard some of the areas aren't so nice to live in. I would rather pay a little more to be in a better area, do you have any suggestions in that area? Also, what age did you leave Ohio at? All my family still lives up here and I'd be the only one moving out of state so you being from the same area as me is so helpful for advice! Hopefully you don't mind my questions!

Old 11-27-2010, 05:35 PM

301 posts, read 804,466 times
My cousin is a speech pathologist in Charleston. She had absolutely no problems finding a job. My other cousin is a speech pathologist in Columbia and had no problems finding a job. And then of course my sister sees a really nice speech pathologist in Spartanburg.

It seems like that's a job that is very needed and the people that I know who have that job enjoy it and are able to find good-paying work all over the state. (I personally just hit three people from all three parts of the state, midlands, low county, and upstate. =])

My dad is from Ohio and likes South Carolina.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:49 PM

431 posts, read 929,503 times
Id honestly say Charleston, if you want a decent town near the coast. I'm not the biggest fan of this place, but I've lived in much worse places. I'd suggest a trip down here to get a feel. We do have a lot of Ohio State fans in the local area. Id Look into the Mt Pleasant area of Charleston. It's the more upscale side of town, and close to the water. Summerville is a nice area as well "although its about 25 mins inland".

I have family in Youngstown & Akron... Luckily my dad left Ohio when he was young and found his way to TX. The rest of his family is still up there and will be for the rest of their lives I'm sure. So yeah like you said get out now while you can ha.

If the coast isn't a major factor, like posted above look into Charlotte. That's a great town with lots to do. I go up there as often as I can.

BTW feel free to message me with any questions you may have about Charleston. I've been stationed here going on three years, so I have a pretty good feel of the town. Plus I'm around your age.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:32 PM

540 posts, read 1,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Being 25 years old, with a masters degree and your whole life ahead of you.....South Carolina should be the absolute last state you consider moving to. It is a dead end state, with bad leadership and too stuck in the past (mud) to make any drastic changes anytime soon. Not trying to offend anyone but I must keep it real about my observations while living there.

Agreed, look somewhere else. This area (Myrtle Beach) is for self sufficient retirees who like golf and restaurants. It really doesn't offer much more than that since it's a tourist area.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:08 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyxstar11 View Post
Thanks everyone for their input! Since I don't know much about the area, it's really nice of everyone to post their thoughts on it! Since there are such differing opinions, I have some questions

NewYorkBorn - One of my friends just moved back to Ohio from Atlanta and one of my friends from college lives near the area and both have advised me against moving down there because of how the area is. Also, I'm not looking any more south than SC at this point. I don't really mind the politics or anything in that aspect of any state I live in (look up Cleveland's political offices...they're pretty horrible), but what else makes it such a bad area?

Greenvillebuckeye - I was looking into Charleston and was happy to see it was on your list! I've heard some of the areas aren't so nice to live in. I would rather pay a little more to be in a better area, do you have any suggestions in that area? Also, what age did you leave Ohio at? All my family still lives up here and I'd be the only one moving out of state so you being from the same area as me is so helpful for advice! Hopefully you don't mind my questions!

i moved to Greenville at age 23. basically right out of undergrad. i'd go with mount pleasant and or james island in charleston. maybe up I 26 is ok too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina