Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 04:07 AM

266 posts, read 1,025,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherinSC View Post
Yeah im sure you could see simpsonville in one day. It is getting bigger but it is not huge or anything. Alot of places too eat at like tons and tons so come hungrey!!!
Any places you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 09:43 PM

89 posts, read 388,004 times
Well, for activity in Simpsonville we have the Golden Strip, and the Water park really that is about it that (I go too).

But that is one thing that I feel that they are lacking here things too do. Unless you like too shop and eat!

But Greenville that is only a min down the road, has a bunch you can do. But as for a food place that I would try.

We have a nice Mexican restaurant that is located next too Days Inn near Walmart That is very good. The people there are great! And the food is wonderful!

Or if you feel like Chinese there is the Dragon Den that is next to Ryan's. And this is all near Fairview RD. Like I said we have (TONS) of places too eat you can never go hungry that is for sure!

And if you are from the north (Like my self) you will have too try the Boil Penuts. And the man I get them from is located next to the old Bi-LO you will be able too tell the diffirence from the old one and new one.. But he is called the PENUT Man and that is one of the thing about the south that I have grown to like. I have never had them until I moved here.. Just too let you know DON'T eat the shells!! And trust me I have seen people from the north do it before!! :-D

He does sell them on the back of the pickup truck and yes too me it is kinda rendneck but trust me they are safe too eat. I have lived here for almost 11yrs and have not died yet!

Old 08-27-2006, 04:23 AM

Love to shop! But I don't get to with the girls running wild Love to eat too!

What is the Golden strip? Simpsonville sounds nice, and the houses are pretty inexpensive compared to FL and MA (where we are originally from).

I can't wait to see both areas!

Old 08-27-2006, 07:21 AM

745 posts, read 2,232,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherinSC View Post

And if you are from the north (Like my self) you will have too try the Boil Penuts. And the man I get them from is located next to the old Bi-LO you will be able too tell the diffirence from the old one and new one.. But he is called the PENUT Man and that is one of the thing about the south that I have grown to like. I have never had them until I moved here.. Just too let you know DON'T eat the shells!! And trust me I have seen people from the north do it before!! :-D

He does sell them on the back of the pickup truck and yes too me it is kinda rendneck but trust me they are safe too eat. I have lived here for almost 11yrs and have not died yet!
I ONLY get my boiled p'nuts from the back of a truck or a shack by the side of the road. And if the sign is neat and spelled correctly, they won't be that good- I move on to the next place! A true Southerner can eat them while driving, and spit the shells out the window. I'm workin' on it...

Old 08-27-2006, 11:33 AM

The Golden Strip it has a Bowling alley, Roller skating, Paint ball, Video games, Miniature golf, Them little cars you ride around the track. Some water bumper cars. But if you go too Greenville they have Frankys Fun Park that one is a lot bigger and nicer. But has alot more people there so I like too go too this one..

Old 08-27-2006, 03:45 PM

The golden strip sounds like a nice place to take the family....how far is the closest beach to Simpsonville? Not that I am a beach person but its nice to know for when the kids get a little bigger!

Still not sure if we are going to stay 2 nights in Charlotte or 1 though....

Old 08-28-2006, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,863 times
Myrlte Beach is about 4 hours from the upstate while Charleston is about 3 hours. You might want to check out around the Lyman - Holly Springs area if you like living in a country setting but your within 10 minutes of several smaller cities (Greer, Lyman, Duncan) and about 25- 30 minutes to Greenville or Spartanburg (2 of the bigger cities in SC). With the BMW plant that came a couple of years ago the area is growing rapidly. Several lakes in the area for recreation and some of the best schools in the state. Holly Springs Motlow Creek elementary is one of the better schools I have ever seen. You have Music On Main in Greenville every week and of course Friday nights is high school football where you can watch the #2 nationally ranked Byrnes Rebels play. Fall saturdays are reserved for Clemson Tiger football which is about an hour away. This is truly a great place to live and raise a family.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 16,072 times
Default visit

Hi momof2
I just visited the same 2 areas you are talking about. We stayed in Greenville 2 days and Charlotte 1 day. I think it really depends on what you are looking for. The two areas are very different. Simpsonville is really just a suburb of Greenville and will not take more than a day to see, unless you want to exhaust all of the shopping! My opinion-- Greenville area vs. Fort Mill area. Neither of the two are anything like Florida, everything is very spread apart. In Simpsonville there are some wonderful subdivisions with parks and walking trails, etc. Good thing because there is nothing there but subdivison after subdivision and one street full of shopping(And I mean full). There is even more in Greenville(I would liken Woodruff Road to International Drive in Orlando, minus the bungi jumping). It does seem like Simpsonville is a little neglected and run down, compared to Greenville. But this area seems very innovative and forward thinking(you'll see what I mean in downtown Greenville). So it won't be long.
Fort Mill/ Charlotte area, I percieved it to be cleaner, less intimidating and much smaller home town feel(the roads aroud greenville are up to four lanes, and I think they intend to fill them), it is more expensive in this area however. The house prices in greenville alone are almost enough to blow your mind theyre so low!
In summary I think you should decide whether you want a big town with all of the amenities, and maybe a little less safe feeling, or a small town with less convience and a little more expense. I personally think both towns can be seen in 1 day, and you can get a good feel for both with the right realtor. ours took us all thru the city and showed us all of the highlights. If you decide on Greenville area, the bigger, 2 days would be better spent here, population of 70,000, compared to Fort Mills less than 15,000. Fort Mill can be driven from one end to the next in probably 20 minutes.
I did love both areas for different reasons, and my husband and I were duking it out for a while.
good luck

Old 08-28-2006, 08:24 PM

Yes, it pretty much is all in one area in simpsonville. But they are spreading out a bit. They are starting too build now on West Georgia RD They are putting in a shopping center there.

And they change the road from a 2 lane road built a new Bridge and in the process of making it in too a 5 lane road. They want too make that road in too what they are calling. The gate way in too simpsonville.

And they are also putting in 105 homes over in that area and a park. If you are familiar with simpsonville they are putting them in where the old boys home use too be... Gibbons Youth center.

And if you go further down the road that runs in too Fork-Shoals Rd they are building 1000 homes and putting in a bunch of stores in that area as well.

And what is now the main street that is next too the big clock that is in simpsonville they are going to be doing that area over too. They want too make it more walking friendly and kinda like a miny down town G'ville feel.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:24 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingfl View Post
Hi momof2
I just visited the same 2 areas you are talking about. We stayed in Greenville 2 days and Charlotte 1 day. I think it really depends on what you are looking for. The two areas are very different. Simpsonville is really just a suburb of Greenville and will not take more than a day to see, unless you want to exhaust all of the shopping! My opinion-- Greenville area vs. Fort Mill area. Neither of the two are anything like Florida, everything is very spread apart. In Simpsonville there are some wonderful subdivisions with parks and walking trails, etc. Good thing because there is nothing there but subdivison after subdivision and one street full of shopping(And I mean full). There is even more in Greenville(I would liken Woodruff Road to International Drive in Orlando, minus the bungi jumping). It does seem like Simpsonville is a little neglected and run down, compared to Greenville. But this area seems very innovative and forward thinking(you'll see what I mean in downtown Greenville). So it won't be long.
Fort Mill/ Charlotte area, I percieved it to be cleaner, less intimidating and much smaller home town feel(the roads aroud greenville are up to four lanes, and I think they intend to fill them), it is more expensive in this area however. The house prices in greenville alone are almost enough to blow your mind theyre so low!
In summary I think you should decide whether you want a big town with all of the amenities, and maybe a little less safe feeling, or a small town with less convience and a little more expense. I personally think both towns can be seen in 1 day, and you can get a good feel for both with the right realtor. ours took us all thru the city and showed us all of the highlights. If you decide on Greenville area, the bigger, 2 days would be better spent here, population of 70,000, compared to Fort Mills less than 15,000. Fort Mill can be driven from one end to the next in probably 20 minutes.
I did love both areas for different reasons, and my husband and I were duking it out for a while.
good luck
Wow!...I for one want to thank you for your posting. Not sure if this is going to come out right or not but here goes....we moved to Tega Cay/Fort Mill area almost 3 years ago from CA (huge city in L.A. cnty.). We love it here...yet I have to admit with all of the growth that we have seen of late I get a little concerned on how the area might be getting to big. After reading your post...it's nice to see that someone from the another location views the area still as a small town.

p.s. don't hurt your hubby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina