Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:58 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,660,038 times

Advertisements

I don't think it has anything to do with racism... A company hires the best canidate that will give them the most work for the most money and avoid a lawsuit. Don't care what anyone says that is how companies operate.

I came from FL, and there is an attitude among alot of people I have expereineced. Its across all races, white black, hispanic, etc... Its like almost a lifestyle...

Its a "I don't give an F__ about you or anything attitude." As I have said I have seen it in all races, in FL it was mostly alot of hispanics(since it was one of the larger parts of the population), some blacks and whites... The type of attitude where the person has a min wage job, and they suck at it. And to top it off... they are pissed and don't understand why their job is so dead end and to make it worse, some will chaulk it up to racism, or reverse racism.

I won't even have to say it deals with education, I have managed HS dropouts, that busted their ass, moved ahead and got a better job quickly, and was sad to lose such a hardworker, but they were better then the job they had with me, so I can't fault them. Easily got into the ability to support themselves, not saying rich by any means but the $30k a year range.

Its just an attitude of "don't care, you can't tell me what to do, why are you bothering me" I mean the other day I was at a Walmart(yep I know...) and the line was really long. The cashier, looked like she was swiping stuff like it was 4 am, and there were 2 customers in the store, no sense of urgency. Just enough to probably get yelled at, but no official documented "demerit" because she was still doing her job. I am talking the almsot the rate of a Union employee during a "slowdown"

I went to buy something from a gas station, and the girl, had a long line, and was moving slow as hell talking to a friend or something on the cellphone.

I dunno I just seem to see this attitude alot more up here. And sadly I have seen it among more african americans. I am sure I will somehow be deemed a racist do to my comments, but just telling it how I have seen it. I saw it in Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando(saw it more in certain parts of orlando) Saw it ALOT more in Daytona, and see it alot up here as well.

This is not to say all of one race is like this, all of one socioeconomic group is like this, but ts just the mindset people have when they are at work. It seems to be a mindset of "someone owes me, and I am not getting it"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 12:26 PM

5,492 posts, read 8,343,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with racism... A company hires the best canidate that will give them the most work for the most money and avoid a lawsuit. Don't care what anyone says that is how companies operate.

I came from FL, and there is an attitude among alot of people I have expereineced. Its across all races, white black, hispanic, etc... Its like almost a lifestyle...

Its a "I don't give an F__ about you or anything attitude." As I have said I have seen it in all races, in FL it was mostly alot of hispanics(since it was one of the larger parts of the population), some blacks and whites... The type of attitude where the person has a min wage job, and they suck at it. And to top it off... they are pissed and don't understand why their job is so dead end and to make it worse, some will chaulk it up to racism, or reverse racism.

I won't even have to say it deals with education, I have managed HS dropouts, that busted their ass, moved ahead and got a better job quickly, and was sad to lose such a hardworker, but they were better then the job they had with me, so I can't fault them. Easily got into the ability to support themselves, not saying rich by any means but the $30k a year range.

Its just an attitude of "don't care, you can't tell me what to do, why are you bothering me" I mean the other day I was at a Walmart(yep I know...) and the line was really long. The cashier, looked like she was swiping stuff like it was 4 am, and there were 2 customers in the store, no sense of urgency. Just enough to probably get yelled at, but no official documented "demerit" because she was still doing her job. I am talking the almsot the rate of a Union employee during a "slowdown"

I went to buy something from a gas station, and the girl, had a long line, and was moving slow as hell talking to a friend or something on the cellphone.

I dunno I just seem to see this attitude alot more up here. And sadly I have seen it among more african americans. I am sure I will somehow be deemed a racist do to my comments, but just telling it how I have seen it. I saw it in Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando(saw it more in certain parts of orlando) Saw it ALOT more in Daytona, and see it alot up here as well.

This is not to say all of one race is like this, all of one socioeconomic group is like this, but ts just the mindset people have when they are at work. It seems to be a mindset of "someone owes me, and I am not getting it"
Good post.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:55 PM

12 posts, read 16,270 times
Black jobs are primarily govt and affirmative action. Thanks to Reagen, Hindus qualify to fill quotas, thus the flood of H1bs. There are market-based jobs for blacks but many of blacks consider those "chump change". Be grateful. Back in Africa, people live on literally 1% of what blacks make in the US.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:26 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,552,480 times
Quote:
So basically to sum up your post.....employers in SC are completely color blind when deciding who to hire right?
I guess the next thing you are going to say is that SC has been unjustly given such a bad reputation! I know it is only black peoples imagination.

It always amazes me when a white person chimes in on something that they observed through secondhand experience, have never personally experienced it themselves and swears that their reasoning is correct!

My question is always the same....how do you know? Are you black?

Old 06-19-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
[b]

So basically to sum up your post.....employers in SC are completely color blind when deciding who to hire right?
I guess the next thing you are going to say is that SC has been unjustly given such a bad reputation! I know it is only black peoples imagination.

It always amazes me when a white person chimes in on something that they observed through secondhand experience, have never personally experienced it themselves and swears that their reasoning is correct!

I'm black NYB. So address me.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:38 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,660,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
[b]

Nope I am not black I will never know and I have a feeling you will keep pulling that till the end.

The number one problem with people today is they think they are special and they have no accountability for themselves.

Its always, the problem couldn't possible be me... I slip and fell... thousands a people a day walk therough the same area and didn't fall! Can't be my fault! QUICK WHO CAN I SUE!

I didn't get the job... must be because they don't like *insert here* people.

I didn't get the job because I am black and the boss was white.
I didn;t get the job because I am white and the boss is black.
I didn't get the job because some illegal immigrant took it.
I didn't get the job because I wasn't ex-military.
I didn't get the job because I am male, affirmitive action wants a woman.
They only got the job because they are a SC resident.

etc... etc... etc....

It cannot possibly be the fact that the other canidates had some sort of advantage over me that made the more qualified for the job. Even if it was just that they interviewed better.

People need to realize they are not special, despite what your mom says people lose in the game of dodgeball. If you want to win, you need to work hard and move on making yourself better. Quit thinking you are a victim, or it will happen.

Has you ever been in a managerial role. What happens when your employees are screw ups? Who takes the heat? Who has to work harder to pick up the slack?

I lived and grew up with hispanic people, its even funny to see how just the different cultures acted, from Cubans, Puerto ricans, and varous South Americans. Hell just regular Mexicans.

I have worked with hard working people of all racists, and useless pieces of crap from all races. Still to this day, the hardest working boss I ever had was black, and he suceeded and went far because of it. It was funny people used to call him racist before they knew who he was. They assume since his name was Herb, he was white.

So people can choose to sit back, play the victim, blame everything else for their troubles without changing anything themselves. Or they can "Do Work" and get ahead...

I was a halfassed ****up, then I had a life changing moment... Since then my life has been on a steady rise fo great achievements.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:57 PM

128 posts, read 320,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Grew up 50 miles south of Greenville in Greenwood. When I moved here I made 30k in Greenwood. Now I make just south of 100k. All of the other blacks around me make similar. My co-workers, my mother, and aunt who work in different fields from also. So what's next?
Greenwood is not Greenville, is an hour away, and in another county. All the other blacks around you making what you make (how do you know - isn't it policy not to disclose pay among coworkers?) may not BE from Greenville or Greenville COUNTY. You may have actually benefited from NOT being from Greenville.

What you describe is great. I'm glad for you. However, that's not the norm for blacks FROM Greenville. I really think that there was some kind of stigma placed on blacks here that dated from way back when - but still in effect somehow - because I specifically remember not being able to get certain types of jobs no matter how qualified I was, but at the same time being able to get hired on-the-spot for other types of jobs like hotel housekeeping or fast food, for exaple.

Regardless, your experience doesn't negate mine - it's not a contest. You know what you know and I know what I know, and both perceptions could be true. I know what I've observed and heard through my own experience and from watching my family and friends as well.

I also didn't say that ALL native blacks did anything. I used words like "some", etc. That leaves room for people like you, whose experiences aren't the norm for here. Our two positions don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:00 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,552,480 times
Quote:
Nope I am not black I will never know and I have a feeling you will keep pulling that till the end.

The number one problem with people today is they think they are special and they have no accountability for themselves.

Its always, the problem couldn't possible be me... I slip and fell... thousands a people a day walk therough the same area and didn't fall! Can't be my fault! QUICK WHO CAN I SUE!

I didn't get the job... must be because they don't like *insert here* people.

I didn't get the job because I am black and the boss was white.
I didn;t get the job because I am white and the boss is black.
I didn't get the job because some illegal immigrant took it.
I didn't get the job because I wasn't ex-military.
I didn't get the job because I am male, affirmitive action wants a woman.
They only got the job because they are a SC resident.

etc... etc... etc....

It cannot possibly be the fact that the other canidates had some sort of advantage over me that made the more qualified for the job. Even if it was just that they interviewed better.

People need to realize they are not special, despite what your mom says people lose in the game of dodgeball. If you want to win, you need to work hard and move on making yourself better. Quit thinking you are a victim, or it will happen.

Has you ever been in a managerial role. What happens when your employees are screw ups? Who takes the heat? Who has to work harder to pick up the slack?

I lived and grew up with hispanic people, its even funny to see how just the different cultures acted, from Cubans, Puerto ricans, and varous South Americans. Hell just regular Mexicans.

I have worked with hard working people of all racists, and useless pieces of crap from all races. Still to this day, the hardest working boss I ever had was black, and he suceeded and went far because of it. It was funny people used to call him racist before they knew who he was. They assume since his name was Herb, he was white.

So people can choose to sit back, play the victim, blame everything else for their troubles without changing anything themselves. Or they can "Do Work" and get ahead...

I was a halfassed ****up, then I had a life changing moment... Since then my life has been on a steady rise fo great achievements.
You can live around the Spanish (Mexicans, Puerto Ricans etc.) all day long. There is no substitute for firsthand experience. Living around a particular racial group does not make you an expert on their life experiences. You must walk a mile in other peoples shoes before you can just dismiss what they are saying as false. There is no way that you can say these problems do not exist when you have white skin and will never experience them. BTW my son is Puerto Rican so I do not just live around them!

If you do not believe that African Americans have a hard time in SC trying to find employment than it is because you are not African American! The last time I checked most people with the hiring authority are white....very rare to see a black person in a position of power in SC. Therefore most of the time when a black man or woman sits down for an interview, they are being interviewed by someone who is white.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 06-19-2011 at 05:22 PM..

Old 06-19-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvictories View Post
Greenwood is not Greenville, is an hour away, and in another county. All the other blacks around you making what you make (how do you know - isn't it policy not to disclose pay among coworkers?) may not BE from Greenville or Greenville COUNTY. You may have actually benefited from NOT being from Greenville.

What you describe is great. I'm glad for you. However, that's not the norm for blacks FROM Greenville. I really think that there was some kind of stigma placed on blacks here that dated from way back when - but still in effect somehow - because I specifically remember not being able to get certain types of jobs no matter how qualified I was, but at the same time being able to get hired on-the-spot for other types of jobs like hotel housekeeping or fast food, for exaple.

Regardless, your experience doesn't negate mine - it's not a contest. You know what you know and I know what I know, and both perceptions could be true. I know what I've observed and heard through my own experience and from watching my family and friends as well.

I also didn't say that ALL native blacks did anything. I used words like "some", etc. That leaves room for people like you, whose experiences aren't the norm for here. Our two positions don't have to be mutually exclusive.
Lol, this is funny to me. Greenwood is so small it doesn't make a corner of Greenville, and it's a lot less progressive. I still did well regardless of being black. Came here and did even better. We all have choices. That's what ultimately paves the road for how life turns out. One thing for sure. As long as you point the finger at anything outside of yourself, you have no control. Digest that.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:26 PM

128 posts, read 320,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck Findley View Post
Black jobs are primarily govt and affirmative action. Thanks to Reagen, Hindus qualify to fill quotas, thus the flood of H1bs. There are market-based jobs for blacks but many of blacks consider those "chump change". Be grateful. Back in Africa, people live on literally 1% of what blacks make in the US.
What does Africa have to do with this discussion? I'm not African, have no ties to Africa, and don't have anything in common with Africans except a biochemical process that produces darker skin.

Affirmative action policies were intended for federal jobs and jobs at companies that contracted with the gov't. The playing field had to be leveled some kind of way. When the policies went into effect, folks looking for work - who knew they didn't stand a chance in private industry - applied to federal jobs in droves simply because they HAD to be given a fair shot at jobs for which they QUALIFIED.

The unqualified people didn't hire themselves. The blame for any failures stemming from hiring unqualified blacks under the affirmative action policies lies with the employers. They wanted to keep their gov't contracts and $$$, so they hired BODIES - and not qualified individuals - just to be in compliance with the law. Then when they had a mess on their hands, they put all the blame on the workers - who they shouldn't have hired in the first place - and the myth of the unqualified affirmative action negro is born.

My position on the "chump change" jobs is simply that if someone is tired of those crappy jobs, they need to take what they can get FOR NOW and go to Greenville Tech part-time and learn a trade. Or relocate to somewhere that pays better. Most of these folks qualify for the Pell Grant, and the Lottery Grant is automatic, so except for the application fee they'd incur no out of pocket cost.

But, too many of us can't see farther than the noses on our faces - if there is no immediate reward (cash) available in exchange for time AND they have to expend considerable effort, there's no point in doing anything. As a group, we don't know how to sacrifice a little in the present for a larger sustainable/perpetual reward later. That mentality has got to GO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina