Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:30 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,552,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvictories View Post
I agree with you, but you have to admit that a lot of the problems with blacks and employment here are self -inflicted. It just seems like too many of the black people here are allergic to education and self-improvement like the Wicked Witch of the West was allergic to water in The Wiz.

I don't get it, because I vividly remember being poor... and being poor vividly sucked!
I cannot say how much of the problems are self inflicted vs. not self inflicted because I have not sat down and spoken to everyone who has experienced it. What I can say is this. While there will always be people who hurt themselves by doing the wrong things in life.....there are also just as many who have done all the right things and still find that they cannot get a job. We are talking about a place where all of the companies are white owned, with white people holding most of the senior level positions not to mention having the power to hire and fire people.

Maybe it is just lack of opportunities there, maybe it is the color of their skin....who knows. But like holds to like!

Meaning if I am the white person sitting in the interviewers chair and I have the power to give the person interviewing the job guess what? Both people (black person and white person) can be equally qualified but human nature dictates that most people would rather give the job to someone who looks like them. Of course no one wants to be the person to admit that this kind of behavior goes on everyday. People want to believe that they are color blind.

Even in a professional situation where people are supposed to set their personal biases aside....people rarely do!

Will agree with you on the last statement. One thing I did notice when I lived in Greenville among some people was laziness and a reluctance to change their situation. If you are black, educated and living in a state that cannot provide you with the type of jobs that you deserve what is wrong with moving someplace else?

When I saw that in spite of my education and background that I could not find suitable work in Greenville I did something about it....packed my bags and went home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Speaking of twisting words... but yes I will make a blanket system, nigerians from privledged families who have ties with government officials that have the nigerian goverment pay for their travel, housing, schooling, vehicle, food, and money for entertainment, for the most part weren't as hardworking as others.

Congrats, you probably are better educated and paid then I am. I never finished my bachelors, but I do have alot of college credits. But in my travels, usually when people bring that up... they are insecure and really are not that intelligent.

But you wouldn't understand that since you are not a white male who didn't finish his bachelors that has had people gloat about their education and pay...

But either way this all has nothing to do with the attitude I listed earlier.
Next time before you tell someone that they are not intelligent please make sure your spelling is correct. It is government.....not goverment and blanket statement....not blanket system! One more thing the word Nigerian is supposed to have a capital letter.

I am intelligent enough to know that!
Okay time for you to join the ignore list...this has turned into a useless conversation.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:05 PM

128 posts, read 320,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I cannot say how much of the problems are self inflicted vs. not self inflicted because I have not sat down and spoken to everyone who has experienced it. What I can say is this. While there will always be people who hurt themselves by doing the wrong things in life.....there are also just as many who have done all the right things and still find that they cannot get a job. We are talking about a place where all of the companies are white owned, with white people holding most of the senior level positions not to mention having the power to hire and fire people.

Maybe it is just lack of opportunities there, maybe it is the color of their skin....who knows. But like holds to like!

Meaning if I am the white person sitting in the interviewers chair and I have the power to give the person interviewing the job guess what? Both people (black person and white person) can be equally qualified but human nature dictates that most people would rather give the job to someone who looks like them. Of course no one wants to be the person to admit that this kind of behavior goes on everyday. People want to believe that they are color blind.

Even in a professional situation where people are supposed to set their personal biases aside....people rarely do!

Will agree with you on the last statement. One thing I did notice when I lived in Greenville among some people was laziness and a reluctance to change their situation. If you are black, educated and living in a state that cannot provide you with the type of jobs that you deserve what is wrong with moving someplace else?

When I saw that in spite of my education and background that I could not find suitable work in Greenville I did something about it....packed my bags and went home.
You were right to go home, then. Every place is not for every person. I've had rotten luck here, and it's my hometown. But, by contrast, I've had great luck out West. Life is funny like that.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:25 PM

5,492 posts, read 8,343,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvictories View Post
What is your problem? I didn't downplay ANYTHING you said. I even affirmed what you said. So, why the attitude and hostility? "Digest that". Was that response necessary?

You're not the only smart and accomplished negro here, redcliffe. I went to college too. And, law school. And, I worked doggone hard to get there. I'm as bourgie as you are, if not more. We're on the same side, believe it or not. I'm just not as snotty as you are about it. Get over yourself.
Wow. I apologize if it seemed like I was looking down on you, which isn't the case. If I came off that way forgive me. I'm just trying to make a point that, being black isn't keeping me from making a decent wage. I don't see myself as a race, negro, black, or otherwise. I see myself as someone who is willing to give his all and find a way. No race is no more superior than I. I'm sure you feel the same. Right?

Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,660,038 times
Quote:
Next time before you tell someone that they are not intelligent please make sure your spelling is correct. It is government.....not goverment and blanket statement....not blanket system! One more thing the word Nigerian is supposed to have a capital letter.

I am intelligent enough to know that!
Okay time for you to join the ignore list...this has turned into a useless conversation.
oh its been a useless conversation for awhile.

It is ok, though we all know rule number 7 of internet arguing.

If you have lost, and your argument holds no ground, resort to picking apart grammatical errors as the main point of your argument.

So you are going to ignore anything I say? Sounds pretty close minded. Even I the evil white man am willing to listen to the oppositions argument even if I am against it.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 PM

93 posts, read 364,033 times
"It is not the dark skin that offends, it is the dark attitude."

Maybe your illegal brown friends have taken not only your job, but also your white brothers job as well, did you consider that?

Old 06-19-2011, 09:34 PM

128 posts, read 320,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Wow. I apologize if it seemed like I was looking down on you, which isn't the case. If I came off that way forgive me. I'm just trying to make a point that, being black isn't keeping me from making a decent wage. I don't see myself as a race, negro, black, or otherwise. I see myself as someone who is willing to give his all and find a way. No race is no more superior than I. I'm sure you feel the same. Right?
Thanks for clarifying your position. If I came off too harsh, I apologize. I'm just plain-spoken and it doesn't come across well in writing sometimes. We're cool.

Merely being anything doesn't keep anyone from making a decent wage. It's the perceptions and/or stereotypes we have of each other based on race or ethnicity (or gender, or sexual orientation) that causes problems.

I do classify myself. I'm black. Speaking about race, I do not believe that there are racial groups that are superior to others. I do believe that one individual can be better than another though.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:43 AM

12,956 posts, read 18,818,184 times
Quote:

Here's the thing. I just saw on the CBS Evening News last night that the unemployment rate for black males in NYC is 25% compared to 17% nationwide. For ages 19 to 24 in NYC it's 40 something %.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:27 PM

The problem comes in when we discuss race and pretend like the color of a persons skin does not play a part in the hiring decisions.

When there is one race who controls everything:
  • Owns majority of the companies
  • Makes all of the hiring decisions
  • Makes all of the firing decisions
  • Makes all of the decisions about who is promoted
Guess what? It is no mistake that majority of America's corporations are headed (top executives) by white people.

So when we see an article about African Americans having a hard time finding employment in SC if we are honest people we can look at that and say to ourselves "yeah I have experienced that or known others who have experienced that in SC".

Old 06-20-2011, 03:53 PM

315 posts, read 624,379 times
Quote:
The problem comes in when we discuss race and pretend like the color of a persons skin does not play a part in the hiring decisions.

When there is one race who controls everything:
  • Owns majority of the companies
  • Makes all of the hiring decisions
  • Makes all of the firing decisions
  • Makes all of the decisions about who is promoted
Guess what? It is no mistake that majority of America's corporations are headed (top executives) by white people.

So when we see an article about African Americans having a hard time finding employment in SC if we are honest people we can look at that and say to ourselves "yeah I have experienced that or known others who have experienced that in SC".
Blacks are free to start their own business if they wish. After all, at some point in time, all those white owned and white managed businesses DID NOT EXIST. Someone started them. Feel free to start one yourself.

Next, if you deny that there are different cultures in our society, and that some cultures are dominated more by one race than another, then are just wrong. For example, the country-western culture is mostly a white culture. The military culture, if you look at demographics, is strongly white Southern male.

And the hip hop culture, and it's adulthood "R&B" evolution, are mostly a black dominated culture, except Slim Shady I suppose. And THAT culture has corrupted an entire generation of black kids, destroying their sense of priorities. When a survey in the "hood" shows that black kids think their best chance at a good life is in pro sports or rap, thats a problem. When the black population begins FIERCLY attacking black comedians and entertainers who spread an awful stereotype of blacks, then maybe I'll take race seriously. But to gain total respect from others, you must first have self respect. Start by demanding BET be shut down, as that channel degrades the black population more than any white manager or owner could hope to.

But as priorities go these days, I can guarantee, 100%, that if I offered 18 year old males in the ghetto the following:

A) A $5,000 a year grant for 2 years of local tech college
B) $5,000 a year cash for rims, shoes, clothes, phone...

I bet 90 out of 100 would turn down the free college, and take the free rims and cell phones.

Until the culture changes, it's byproduct will stay the same. Look inward my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina