U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2006, 07:54 AM

5 posts, read 16,276 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all for clerifying the crime issue I stirred up. I use alot of demographic type sites to compare areas and when I researched crime, like everyone does, SC came up 6th, Tn, came up 7th and Fl (where I am from) came up 8th!! Out of all the states, that doesn't look very good. These are gov. stats. I am sure there are pockets of crime, like there are everywhere, but the reason for the post was to inquire from locals where those pockets we're. Thanks for all the input, I guess the bigger cities need more reconsideration than the smaller ones, just as Florida. Can anyone disect the state in regions as far as saftey?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 09:30 AM

8,191 posts, read 29,082,069 times
I can only speak for the area that I am in. I feel very safe here. I do not lock my house or my car. I walk in the early morning, sometimes before it is light out. I have left my keys in the car at the mall, and at the Hitchcock Woods.

What area are you looking at?

Old 09-14-2006, 11:12 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,557,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From Florida View Post
Thanks to all for clerifying the crime issue I stirred up. I use alot of demographic type sites to compare areas and when I researched crime, like everyone does, SC came up 6th, Tn, came up 7th and Fl (where I am from) came up 8th!! Out of all the states, that doesn't look very good. These are gov. stats. I am sure there are pockets of crime, like there are everywhere, but the reason for the post was to inquire from locals where those pockets we're. Thanks for all the input, I guess the bigger cities need more reconsideration than the smaller ones, just as Florida. Can anyone disect the state in regions as far as saftey?
From Florida: You have come on the this forum looking for information on South Carolina (according to your own thread you seem to be looking at the Aiken area). The folks on these boards will gladly help you to the best of their ability but at the same time please keep in mind that #1 SC is where we choose to live, #2 We like living here, #3 Folks on here volunteer their time to help others yet at the same time we do not want others to continue to keep shoving "demo. graphic sites" down our throats of what they have read in/on some new book, internet or website and then some how you want us to try and sway or persuade you to forget everything you have just read on your graphs. While I agree research is good (you seem to already have the locals viewpoint that you wanted) at some point you just need to bite the bullet and come see for yourself. Another suggestion is (if you like Aiken) call the local police department for information (803)642-7620. If for some reason you take offense to what I have just written I am sorry...but blame it on my background as a former Californian (I've been here...close to 3 years now) and only wish I had discovered the Carolina's much earlier in life.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:00 PM

54 posts, read 162,788 times
Default Crime

Amen sister.

I am a native Floridian. My husband and I did look at the crime statistics in the South Carolina relocation guide we got. While the information was specific to the area we are moving to, we know that any city worth living in is going to have some crime. What you need to remember is that it is not everywhere. I don't know where you live in Florida, or what level of crime you are used to, But I have to agree with LOVETHECAROLINAS. There really is only so much research you can do on the internet and in books. You just need to get up there, spend some real time there and check things out for yourself. You will know right away what areas have high crime or not. Please don't categorize the entire state as a high crime state just because of a report you read. In a way, you are asking the people who live there to degrade the state they love (and humiliate themselves in the process for moving there).

I am just curious what state was last on the list?

Old 09-14-2006, 08:33 PM

890 posts, read 4,052,341 times
North Dakota is ranked as the safest. Nevada the most dangerous.

You can check it out here: Moderator cut: link

Last edited by Yac; 09-15-2006 at 02:59 PM..

Old 09-14-2006, 09:04 PM

8,191 posts, read 29,082,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj View Post
North Dakota is ranked as the safest.
South Dakota is no doubt not far behind. Largely because there are no people living there.

The link has expired, and I did not choose to pay for the info. I did look at the city breakdown. Charleston, Florence, Sumter, and Myrtle Beach were the cities named.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:15 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,968,479 times
Charleston and Myrtle Beach are tourist meccas, so no surprise there. And Florence and Sumter suffer from depressed economies, so there's really no surprise there either.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:20 AM

68 posts, read 392,921 times
Default Crime Stats

Crime statistics can be misleading. They are adjusted in order to take into consideration the amount of people living in the given area. A city such as New York will have many more total robberies than any city in SC but since the population is so large the statistic will portray NY as safer of the two. A moderate or low rate of crime in a less populated area will appear as a high crime area in many crime statistics.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:53 PM

83 posts, read 370,603 times
I live in Aiken and feel safe. I grew up in Florence and my parents still live there. I believe they are safe.

Please forgive me for showing my stripes here, but safety isn't a problem for people who can afford to pick up and move anywhere in the country they want. It's the poor who suffer at the hands of the poor. In South Carolina, like much of the South, the death penalty and three-no-make-that-two-strikes are relished with a gusto seldom seen in more progressive parts of the country. Here, the comfortably situated imagine their good fortune self-made. They believe the poor are the sole authors of their own misery. IMHO, that's a major reason why you and I can feel safe while our neighbors on the north side of town form the basis for grim statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina