Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 02:37 PM

8 posts, read 30,565 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say that my wife & i just came back from spending a week in South Carolina and had an awesome time. We stayed in an hotel in Columbia, and we tried to see as much as possible. We went to North Myrtle Beach...ate at Margaritaville, Charleston...ate at the Charleston Crab House,walked along the Battery, tour to Ft Sumter, Greenville, Caesar's Head State Park, Sheldon Church Ruins. We also went to Savannah, Riverboat cruise...I believe the Georgia Queen...ate on the riverfront, Fort Pulaski, went to Tybee Island, drove to Helen, Ga & was able to fit in Asheville, Nc to see Biltmore. Most importantly my wife finally got to see the ocean up close instead of just flying over it. We miss the trees. Where we live all you see is miles of roofs. We went down there to see if we would like living down there and decided that we loved it. There is so much to see & do down there. The taxes are cheap, no snow, and the people we came across were very nice & polite. Can't wait to move! I've read some of other people's commets and they have said everywhere they went everybody was rude. Maybe it's the way they treated those people and they need to look at themselves instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 04:17 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petber View Post
Just wanted to say that my wife & i just came back from spending a week in South Carolina and had an awesome time. We stayed in an hotel in Columbia, and we tried to see as much as possible. We went to North Myrtle Beach...ate at Margaritaville, Charleston...ate at the Charleston Crab House,walked along the Battery, tour to Ft Sumter, Greenville, Caesar's Head State Park, Sheldon Church Ruins. We also went to Savannah, Riverboat cruise...I believe the Georgia Queen...ate on the riverfront, Fort Pulaski, went to Tybee Island, drove to Helen, Ga & was able to fit in Asheville, Nc to see Biltmore. Most importantly my wife finally got to see the ocean up close instead of just flying over it. We miss the trees. Where we live all you see is miles of roofs. We went down there to see if we would like living down there and decided that we loved it. There is so much to see & do down there. The taxes are cheap, no snow, and the people we came across were very nice & polite. Can't wait to move! I've read some of other people's commets and they have said everywhere they went everybody was rude. Maybe it's the way they treated those people and they need to look at themselves instead.

I know it, I was at Myrtle Beach this weekend, the people were so friendly I couldn't get over it. I live in NC right now and it's friendly too but that was even friendlier.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:54 PM

31 posts, read 130,706 times
Default It depends

I have lived in SC for about 6 years. My first impression was similiar to yours.

I would like to be able to say it hasn't changed, but that would be a lie.

Its not that South carolinians can't be nice. They certainly can, and I have met some very nice ones.

On the other hand, I have met some very nasty south carolinians. I have been screamed at in stores and on roads by people for no provocation on my part.

Be careful about the taxes, you should look at the whole picture. For example, When I moved down to SC from VA, my calculations told me that due to to the differences in taxes, I should save about $1,000 a year. However, once I moved here, due to the poor road conditions, higher property crime rates and poor driving habits in SC, my auto insurance went up by more than $1,000, killing the tax difference.

Cost of living can also be difficult to judge. You will generally find that real estate is cheaper in SC, but cable, telephone, internet, insurance and some retail items can be more expensive than many areas on the east coast. And unless you are in a very high demand profession, wages are much lower in SC, negating any savings you might make from taxes and cost of living.

Personally, I'm looking to move back to VA, but you might find SC very livible.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:09 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exileinsc View Post
I have lived in SC for about 6 years. My first impression was similiar to yours.

Its not that South carolinians can't be nice. They certainly can, and I have met some very nice ones.

On the other hand, I have met some very nasty south carolinians. I have been screamed at in stores and on roads by people for no provocation on my part.

Be careful about the taxes, you should look at the whole picture. For example, When I moved down to SC from VA, my calculations told me that due to to the differences in taxes, I should save about $1,000 a year. However, once I moved here, due to the poor road conditions, higher property crime rates and poor driving habits in SC, my auto insurance went up by more than $1,000, killing the tax difference.

Cost of living can also be difficult to judge. You will generally find that real estate is cheaper in SC, but cable, telephone, internet, insurance and some retail items can be more expensive than many areas on the east coast. And unless you are in a very high demand profession, wages are much lower in SC, negating any savings you might make from taxes and cost of living.

I just think it's a big mistake to judge living somewhere while one is on vacation. Sometimes vacationers, fail to check what rush hour is like, taxes, schools, medical facilities, insurance costs, on an on. What they should do, is make sure they get up at 6:30 in the morning and drive in rush hour, then again at 5pm, and check into prices of things, which doesn't mean just going out to dinner, check the grocery store, and the malls.

I love to vacation at the Outer Banks, would I live there? NO. But have to say, I'd rather live in SC than NC.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:20 PM

64 posts, read 303,962 times
I have lived in SC 25 years and never been screamed at or even been treated rudely. What in the world did you do to make someone scream at you? I am quite sure they would not do it just to be screaming.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:23 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:

It has to better than Phoenix! I bet my car insurance is lower in SC, due to most of the people actually have a drivers license and carry insurance.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:57 PM

330 posts, read 1,402,214 times
Hmmmm - I wonder if the change is due to the influx of people from other areas? I would venture the increase in "rudeness" could be due in part to that. Not necessarily - just a thought.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:20 PM

168 posts, read 694,839 times
Poor road conditions?!?! What on earth are you talking about?

Old 06-27-2007, 08:35 PM

8 posts, read 30,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I just think it's a big mistake to judge living somewhere while one is on vacation. Sometimes vacationers, fail to check what rush hour is like, taxes, schools, medical facilities, insurance costs, on an on. What they should do, is make sure they get up at 6:30 in the morning and drive in rush hour, then again at 5pm, and check into prices of things, which doesn't mean just going out to dinner, check the grocery store, and the malls.

I love to vacation at the Outer Banks, would I live there? NO. But have to say, I'd rather live in SC than NC.
Well to be honest we started our day driving around 6:00-7:30. We also drove well over 2500 miles in the time we were there...GPS helps. So we hit rush hour. We also drove around Irmo, Lugoff, Lexington, Forest Acres, Chapin, Lake Murray, & Lake Carolina. We checked out several builders & several neighborhoods. We researched on the internet, and ruled some out because seeing in person is better than a photo. Property taxes are cheaper there, no kids, mapped medical facilites, not checked insurance. So we have done and will continue to research it more. We would never just pack up and move.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:59 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:

Your auto insurance went up by over $1000 a year? I drive a $30,000 car, live in Columbia and my auto insurance costs less than $700 a year. Methinks you need to change carriers.

Poor road conditions? I've lived here for years and find the road conditions to be some of the best on the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina