Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:07 AM

233 posts, read 282,276 times

Advertisements

Some threads have gone off course because of a discussion of Clemson and MIT. What are the similarities between the schools? Should the schools be ranked equally? Please share your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:22 AM

596 posts, read 938,031 times
it's closer to MIT than the engineering school you didn't go to.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,578,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhammond View Post
Some threads have gone off course because of a discussion of Clemson and MIT. What are the similarities between the schools? Should the schools be ranked equally? Please share your thoughts.
What a ridiculous and baited thread. Don't feed the trolls.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 AM

who knows more about engineering schools, a degreed engineer who went to one or somebody who didn't even go to college or if he did, majored in liberal arts?

i would say MIT probably gets more money for research projects but to say MIT is superior to Clemson at the teaching level is absurd. most engineering students at MIT and Clemson don't do research.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
who knows more about engineering schools, a degreed engineer who went to one or somebody who didn't even go to college or if he did, majored in liberal arts?

i would say MIT probably gets more money for research projects but to say MIT is superior to Clemson at the teaching level is absurd. most engineering students at MIT and Clemson don't do research.
Tell us why, specifically. Surely as a "degrees engineer" you can share points on why the schools are one in te same. And, since you claim to make more than folks on this board, what is the average salary of an engineer? What is your salary?

Old 02-25-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Tell us why, specifically. Surely as a "degrees engineer" you can share points on why the schools are one in te same. And, since you claim to make more than folks on this board, what is the average salary of an engineer? What is your salary?
i'm not going to get into my salary again, i think that upset you and i meant it as a joke.

i never said the schools were the same, i only scoff at this notion that mit is superior to clemson. you are free to disagree, and i'm free to point out that you don't have an engineer degree and ask why your opinion matters. again, it would be absurd for me to try to rank medical schools b/c i don't have a MD.

for the record, i think usc's engineering program is as good as MIT. both clemson and usc are a lot more affordable as well.

this will be the last i post on this.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
i'm not going to get into my salary again, i think that upset you and i meant it as a joke.

i never said the schools were the same, i only scoff at this notion that mit is superior to clemson. you are free to disagree, and i'm free to point out that you don't have an engineer degree and ask why your opinion matters. again, it would be absurd for me to try to rank medical schools b/c i don't have a MD.

for the record, i think usc's engineering program is as good as MIT. both clemson and usc are a lot more affordable as well.

this will be the last i post on this.
Swamp, you were bragging earlier about how little liberal art school majors pay, I just thought it would help clarify your point a little better. But, I would expect you to show some statistics about the schools, you are a "degreed engineer". Help us understand your position that Clemson and MIT are equal schools.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Swamp, you were bragging earlier about how little liberal art school majors pay, I just thought it would help clarify your point a little better. But, I would expect you to show some statistics about the schools, you are a "degreed engineer". Help us understand your position that Clemson and MIT are equal schools.
if you think clemson sucks and MIT is better, go to MIT. MIT does a great job at marketing their school and there is nothing wrong with that. It's an older school than Clemson much like the Ivy League schools are the oldest ones in the states, so they end up having a lot of prestige assigned to them b/c that is where smart kids went back in the day.

i don't think you would do well in either school because the engineering program is challenging no matter where you go except maybe a SC State.

I would say a Clemson degree in engineering is as valuable as MIT, especially in the South, in terms of getting job interviews and offers, if only because Clemson grads like to hire Clemson grads. In the end it is about getting jobs. MIT is no doubt better if you are up in the northeast.

law school isn't in the cards for you as well, looking at your debate skills.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
if you think clemson sucks and MIT is better, go to MIT. MIT does a great job at marketing their school and there is nothing wrong with that. It's an older school than Clemson much like the Ivy League schools are the oldest ones in the states, so they end up having a lot of prestige assigned to them b/c that is where smart kids went back in the day.

i don't think you would do well in either school because the engineering program is challenging no matter where you go except maybe a SC State.

I would say a Clemson degree in engineering is as valuable as MIT, especially in the South, in terms of getting job interviews and offers, if only because Clemson grads like to hire Clemson grads. In the end it is about getting jobs. MIT is no doubt better if you are up in the northeast.

law school isn't in the cards for you as well, looking at your debate skills.
LOL.....law school? Never thought about that. I was just looking to see why you think Clemson and MIT are equal schools. Being since you have an "engineering degree" which is so challenging and I am asking for mathematical evidence, this should be a slam dunk for you. But, who know, I guess I am not a lawyer. And, since I don't know much about math, thought you could help.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
LOL.....law school? Never thought about that. I was just looking to see why you think Clemson and MIT are equal schools. Being since you have an "engineering degree" which is so challenging and I am asking for mathematical evidence, this should be a slam dunk for you. But, who know, I guess I am not a lawyer. And, since I don't know much about math, thought you could help.
i'm not here to sell you on Clemson, check out their website or call the school if you need that. I don't think it is about math though. In my mind, CLemson is superior to MIT b/c it is much more affordable for the exact same curriculum. If you look at schools that are always touted as top shelf, they are almost always in blue states near large urban areas like Boston. I think that is a big factor in why people think they are superior.

You are the one making the original claim and you haven't supported it so far. Your support will be to point at US News rankings more than likely.

Until you prove MIT is superior, I can say Clemson is just as good. I do think the fact that I am a mechanical engineer does give me more credibility on this than somebody with no engineering degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina