Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 41,903 times

Advertisements

Hello!
Common theme - New Englanders sick of the harsh winter, high cost of living, etc. My husband is from Aruba and wants to be, at the most, an hour drive from the beach. He is in hotel management and I am a librarian, but work in a hospital writing and editing. We would like to have children, so schools are important. I also have health issues and don't do well with humidity.
So we need:
-- Reasonably close to beach
--- Reasonable commute for hotel industry
--- Good schools
--- Area where I can get a nice house and land between 300-400k.

Also, I am pretty liberal. Will this be a problem? I always thought SC was ultra conservative.

Thanks!

Last edited by Ltljen101; 03-31-2006 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2006, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,655 times
Hi,

I have lived in SC all my life. There are many different areas in SC to live. I love the beach also. I live in the near Columbia, SC and find that I have many choices close by that are great for a weekend or a week.

Charleston - 1 1/2 hrs.
Myrtle Beach- 3 hrs.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:05 PM

27 posts, read 126,167 times
Greenville, Simpsonville, Fountain Inn, Mauldin sound perfect for you.
1 hour from the beach will put you in the HOT zone as far as humidity goes.
We are close to the beaches, 4 hrs or so. The mountains in 15 minutes. The best of both worlds. My hubby is from Conn. and wouldn't go back for anything. Besides, who can afford it there? Wow!!
300-400K will buy you a huge,glorious house here. [moderator CUT]. As far as Hotels, there are many. The schools are OK, some better than others of course just like anywhere else.
South Carolina is filling up with folks from up North. Our weather is just hard to beat year round. Liberal/Conservative/Western/Northern/Southern/Foreign etc. etc. You will find it all here. Email me with questions, be glad to help.
There's NO PLACE like South Carolina!!!!

Last edited by Marka; 04-08-2006 at 04:35 AM..

Old 07-25-2006, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,457 times
We moved from North to Greenville area. I love it here, but my wife hates -- local women can be a bit clicky. But my wife is also reluctant to move back North when you consider cost of living and commuter times.

There are lots of Northerners living on the south and east side of Greenville, and the public schools are decent, but not great.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:27 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Aiken is wonderful! 3 hours to the beach, but lots of lakes & ponds & river activities. With all of the heat the last 2 weeks the humidity has been LOW. I have not turned on the A/C in my car yet this summer. Of course I moved from Florida last winter, so it might just be me...

The people here are wonderful, the area is charming, and the money that you have to spend will get you an awful lot of house.

PM me if you would like the name of a Realtor.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:12 AM

7 posts, read 39,106 times
You might consider Lexington area, schools are great there and the area is booming.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 17,421 times
don't know what part of the hotel industry you want to be close too, but extended stay america's corporate office is in spartanburg, SC. Just FYI

Old 08-01-2006, 09:34 PM

5 posts, read 44,124 times
Mt. Pleasant sounds like the area you'd like to explore. It's a very nice little city just outside of Charleston. It is close to the beaches, close to the hotel/hospitality industry in Charleston, and the schools there are fairly good. You'll be in the greater Charleston area with a much higher than state average for cultural events and activities.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:16 AM

4 posts, read 29,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey
Aiken is wonderful! 3 hours to the beach, but lots of lakes & ponds & river activities. With all of the heat the last 2 weeks the humidity has been LOW. I have not turned on the A/C in my car yet this summer. Of course I moved from Florida last winter, so it might just be me...

The people here are wonderful, the area is charming, and the money that you have to spend will get you an awful lot of house.

quote = OLDBEAN
Hi Evey, when you moved from Florida last winter, did you have any problems finding a trustworthy, honest moving company. This will soon be our predicament, we are in the early stages of moving this coming November to Summerville,SC.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:24 AM

4 posts, read 29,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey

Hi Evey,
When you moved from Florida last winter, did you have any problems finding a trustworhy and honest moving company?? We are in the early stages of moving from Ft Lauderdale to Summerville hopefully in November. Any advice would be extremely appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina