Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 5,336 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband is looking for a change of pace and would like to move our family to SC near the Myrtle Beach area. We currently live in Newark close to family and have two small girls. I was hoping someone who has moved from NJ can provide me some insight on how they like living in SC. I was also hoping to find a community with Portuguese and/or Spanish residents and or businesses so that my girls don't lose sight of their background. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 07:21 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
In my reply, I am not being sarcastic or mean, but this is the South. I doubt very much that you'll find a Portuguese community.

NC (and to a lessor extent SC) have small pockets of Mexican residents, and you may find El Salvadorian folks (to an extent), but that's about it.

Good luck with your move. I moved from the NYC Metro area, live in Charlotte NC, and like the South very much.

Categorically, I find Southerners pleasant, kind, patient, helpful, and nice to deal with .

Old 06-07-2013, 05:47 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Mom View Post
Hi all,

My husband is looking for a change of pace and would like to move our family to SC near the Myrtle Beach area. We currently live in Newark close to family and have two small girls. I was hoping someone who has moved from NJ can provide me some insight on how they like living in SC. I was also hoping to find a community with Portuguese and/or Spanish residents and or businesses so that my girls don't lose sight of their background. Thanks!!
I'm originally from New Jersey so I know the type of place you're looking for and it will be difficult to find anywhere in the South. Typically, the vast majority of recent immigrants settle in the Northeast, West Coast or the Great Lakes area. The South would typically not see large numbers of immigrants until the 2nd generation when people tend to be more assimilated. There are some pockets of ethnic neighborhoods in the South, but they are few and far between. You definitely won't find any Portuguese neighborhoods anywhere in the South. I live in Columbia and there is one party of town where there are relatively large numbers of Korean, Vietnamese and Latino residents, but it is stil not like what you would see in the ethnic neighborhoods in large cities up North.

If you're looking to move to Myrtle Beach you will not find a particularly diverse community. Columbia is the most diverse city in South Carolina followed by Charleston.

You can use this link to see some statistics about the census tracts surrounding a particular address.

http://www.ffiec.gov/Geocode/default.aspx

Old 12-08-2014, 07:22 AM

10 posts, read 38,167 times
Hello there. I am Portuguese and live in Columbia. Did you end up moving here to SC?

Old 02-07-2016, 08:48 AM

16 posts, read 29,662 times
Is anyone part of, or aware of, a Portuguese community in the Charleston area?

Old 02-08-2016, 01:01 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
There is a small Portuguese speaking community in the outskirts of Charleston. It's a small Brazilian community in Goose Creek, Sc. The area is off Red Bank Rd, near Harbor Lake. They is even a Brazilian bakery there. Unfortunately , the community is mostly illegal immigrants , so they have to keep a low profile. If you are legally here, I don't know if you would like that area or feel right about it. live.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:03 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
Most of the time when people come to the South we sorta expect them to adopt our culture.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,718 times
Fala Galera!

Somos Brasileiros, porque nao nos comunicamos em Portugues?

Vamos deixar o Ingles, para quando for realmente preciso!

Acabei de chegar em Charleston, vindo de Harrison, NJ

Vivi muitos anos em Newark, NJ, onde deixei familia e bons amigos

Trabalho em Goose Creek e ainda nao encontrei um lugar para morar.

Por enquanto, sou um Homeless

O primeiro Homeless Brasileiro neste Pais

Gostaria de fazer contatos com Brasileiros em South Carolina e participar da criacao de uma Comunidade Brasileira neste Estado.

Tenho um Bau Enorme cheio de historias e estorias para dividir com os Novos e Eternos Futuros Amigos.

Nome de Guerra(so para amigos),

Cunha

Façam contato:

[email]cunhas23c@yahoo.com[/email]

"Turn the Page

Old 09-29-2016, 11:37 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Most of the time when people come to the South we sorta expect them to adopt our culture.
You must live in a small town; it isn't like that in cities.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:52 AM

17 posts, read 22,342 times
lets not fall into the "bigoted southerner" stereotype, ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
One of the things I don't like about SC is the lack of cultural diversity. I'm from the south, but a much larger state with way more diversity. Watching everyone blend their culture with the traditional southern experience is a thing of beauty.

That said, anyone specifically looking for any kind of diversity should skip SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina