Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 10:33 PM

28 posts, read 39,591 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to the Florence, SC area (or within a 30--40 mi radius) and my husband and I will be hunting for jobs. My husband has a misdemeanor conviction for theft (2013). Its been impossible for him to find a job in our current state because most employers hire via staffing agencies and their rules state it must have been 5 years since your conviction. Anyone have experience with getting a job in SC with a misdemeanor? How hard will it be for him to find a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 06:05 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,964,646 times
Landscapers would hire him. If he has a current DL without points, even better. Really, look to any industry where there used to be a high number of illegals. When e-verify came around, lots of those industries lost a ton of people that previously had spotless IDs the old way (they buy the IDs off prisoners) but e-verify ferreted them out. So, a lot of those industries are looking to hire legals and are willing to overlook past behaviors.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:10 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,971,715 times
I wonder if anyone would hire, even those looking to replace illegals with a theft charge just a few months old.
It really depends on the potential employer and what they will overlook however, with theft the trust factor is does not exist and no one likes to have things stolen from them.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:24 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,964,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I wonder if anyone would hire, even those looking to replace illegals with a theft charge just a few months old.
It really depends on the potential employer and what they will overlook however, with theft the trust factor is does not exist and no one likes to have things stolen from them.
Landscaping companies are now using the parole program to get people to hire because it's in such dire need of people. So, yeah, I think there's a chance there. Do I personally think that's a good thing? Nope. But it's one of those industries where they just can't find people to do the work.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:45 AM

730 posts, read 1,393,931 times
I know a few people with records that work in janitorial and carpet cleaning type jobs. Heck, I know a former school athletic director who was fired and convicted of embezzlement now working as a night manager at a plant. Some companies will forgive and look the other way if you have other good credentials and are upfront about any past behavior.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It's actually almost a year old, he was officially "charged" in February of 2013, even though the incident happened in May of 2012. He's worked for a landscaping company before so that'll work out great. Thanks for the advice!

Old 01-24-2014, 04:03 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,879,585 times
Amendia,
Tell him to apply for anything that doesn't require a background check.
Most of the time, in SC, when the company says they require a background check,
if it isn't retail, they are talking about a criminal background check, not credit check.
Hotels hire alot of people to work and they rarely run a criminal background check.
Hotels pay rotten, but he could probably run a front desk, or be a handman in one.
He could even start up his own lawn company. All he needs is a riding mower, (used), and a
trailer to pull it.
Just a thought.
Lawn guys are always in demand.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Amendia,
Tell him to apply for anything that doesn't require a background check.
Most of the time, in SC, when the company says they require a background check,
if it isn't retail, they are talking about a criminal background check, not credit check.
Hotels hire alot of people to work and they rarely run a criminal background check.
Hotels pay rotten, but he could probably run a front desk, or be a handman in one.
He could even start up his own lawn company. All he needs is a riding mower, (used), and a
trailer to pull it.
Just a thought.
Lawn guys are always in demand.
Thank you! We actually own lawn equipment because he mowes yards where we live now. I'm sure he'll find something. I have a college education and excellent references so I can work even if he can't. I'm sure we will be fine, it'll work out

Old 01-25-2014, 01:40 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,652,233 times
Hook up with a local social service agency that helps place ex-offenders. You'll do a lot better than by yourself. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Hook up with a local social service agency that helps place ex-offenders. You'll do a lot better than by yourself. Good luck!
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina