Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 03:40 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetrav View Post
ok, show me a poll where black voters don't vote close to 100 percent Democrat. You say they believe something else but they vote Democrat. I know counties like Union County tend to vote Democrat and not a lot of blacks in those counties. It is the old white Democrat union types.

Downtown Charleston is a bunch of uber rich white people who tend to skew liberal and uber poor people mostly black. No surprised they voted for Obama.
Oh I don't disagree. Most blacks vote Democrat. But they aren't necessarily "Liberal". Theres a difference. For instance, the black/Hispanic community is known to be VERY anti-gay marriage, and the black community is VERY anti-immigration (jobs taken). But, they do vote Democrat.

Just like there are many Republicans who may have some "liberal" viewpoints...but vote GOP because of something stronger, like low taxes or defense. Like Ron Paul.

Its not a 100% left/right thing. Most voters have mixed opinions, but feel strongly about one or two things that pushes them to one of the parties.

I have fairly liberal opinions, but I'm a STRONG supporter of military and law enforcement, and thus, I always voted Republican because that party traditionally supported the military and police.

But now I don't vote for anyone, and that's a whole separate thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 03:40 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,987,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i think this opinion is bizarre and ridiculous
I would recommend a trip to Slidell, LA, Waynesboro, MS, Lumpkin, GA, Flat Gap, KY or Altoona, AL before regarding to my comments about SC as bizzare and ridiculous. My family is from the most remote part of SC there is. They are all dirt farmers and have been for the past two centuries. We have many "rednecks" in my family tree, and so I feel I have a pretty good grasp of what the Southern culture is like. If you made such trip to such named cities and towns throughout the south, you will not find New Yorkers, Bostonians, or any other "Yankee" flocking to such named towns above. They are however, moving to Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Beaufort, Charleston, McClellanville, Pawley's Island, Columbia, Spartenburg, and Kiawah Island.

Secondly, you live in NC, I believe you mentioned in a post elsewhere, so again, speak on what you have experience and knowledge in before calling others names.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:42 PM

106 posts, read 132,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Oh I don't disagree. Most blacks vote Democrat. But they aren't necessarily "Liberal". Theres a difference. For instance, the black/Hispanic community is known to be VERY anti-gay marriage, and the black community is VERY anti-immigration (jobs taken). But, they do vote Democrat.

Just like there are many Republicans who may have some "liberal" viewpoints...but vote GOP because of something stronger, like low taxes or defense. Like Ron Paul.

Its not a 100% left/right thing. Most voters have mixed opinions, but feel strongly about one or two things that pushes them to one of the parties.

I have fairly liberal opinions, but I'm a STRONG supporter of military and law enforcement, and thus, I always voted Republican because that party traditionally supported the military and police.

But now I don't vote for anyone, and that's a whole separate thread.
well i don't agree with you on this. You aren't severely against amnesty if you vote for Democrats. I don't buy that. You are basically saying these rural black people don't know where Democrats are on the issues. Everybody knows Democrats want to legalize all the illegals, to get them registered to vote,

Old 03-29-2014, 03:49 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetrav View Post
well i don't agree with you on this. You aren't severely against amnesty if you vote for Democrats. I don't buy that. You are basically saying these rural black people don't know where Democrats are on the issues. Everybody knows Democrats want to legalize all the illegals, to get them registered to vote,
Because many blacks don't give a **** about amnesty. They care that immigrants came and flooded the job market, and don't want more of them doing it. They probably don't pay as much attention to the issue nationally, but rather locally.

But, they have more draw to the Dem party for other reasons.

You are just flat wrong if you think Dem or GOP voters are all 100% thinking along official party lines. It couldn't be further from the truth.

Most vote for 1 party or the other for 1-2 big reasons they care about, and may differ on several others.

Hell, Thomas Ravenel Jr is a hard Republican. But, hes for legalizing all drugs. That's a very liberal idea, but his financial opinions are strongly Republican. Hes a perfect example of a mixed-opinion GOP person.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Because many blacks don't give a **** about amnesty. They care that immigrants came and flooded the job market, and don't want more of them doing it. They probably don't pay as much attention to the issue nationally, but rather locally.

But, they have more draw to the Dem party for other reasons.

You are just flat wrong if you think Dem or GOP voters are all 100% thinking along official party lines. It couldn't be further from the truth.

Most vote for 1 party or the other for 1-2 big reasons they care about, and may differ on several others.

Hell, Thomas Ravenel Jr is a hard Republican. But, hes for legalizing all drugs. That's a very liberal idea, but his financial opinions are strongly Republican. Hes a perfect example of a mixed-opinion GOP person.
I'm saying your point is moot. If they vote Democrat, they are Democrats who have helped implement stuff that you say they oppose. Who cares what they oppose if they don't back it up by voting.

He's for legalizging drugs because he's a druggie who got caught. Nobody cares about Ravenel now anyway so odd you brought him up.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:31 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Downtown Charleston is maybe the least rural part of SC, along with downtown Gville. And its been run by a Democrat mayor since '75, and Obama won Charleston County.
Downtown Columbia says "hello." Richland County is a consistent blue county and Columbia is likely the most gay-friendly city in SC.

Quote:
I'm Black and I'd like to say that the issue of gay marriage has been overblown a bit. Yes on the whole Blacks are more conservative that not on this issue, but not as much as it has been made out to be. I remember after the Proposition 8 vote in California when voters banned gay marriage in the state; everyone started blaming Black people for that based on exit polls. It was later found that the exit polls were a bit skewed: Black support for Prop. 8 called exaggeration - SFGate. Furthermore, like the general population, the views of Blacks are changing on the subject of gay marriage: Black support for gay marriage growing - SFGate
African Americans and Latinos spur gay marriage revolution

The differences in attitudes among Blacks on such an issue tends to fracture along the same lines as the general population: urban/rural, Southern/Northern, educational attainment, etc.

You're also vastly overblowing Blacks' stance towards immigration. Truth is that it's never been a political lightning rod for us, although some in the media made it out to be that way. Sure some Blacks are staunchly against immigration and immigration reform, but to characterize us as VERY anti-immigration is a mischaracterization. Portraying African Americans As Anti-Immigrant: What NumbersUSA Doesn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I would recommend a trip to Slidell, LA, Waynesboro, MS, Lumpkin, GA, Flat Gap, KY or Altoona, AL before regarding to my comments about SC as bizzare and ridiculous. My family is from the most remote part of SC there is. They are all dirt farmers and have been for the past two centuries. We have many "rednecks" in my family tree, and so I feel I have a pretty good grasp of what the Southern culture is like. If you made such trip to such named cities and towns throughout the south, you will not find New Yorkers, Bostonians, or any other "Yankee" flocking to such named towns above. They are however, moving to Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Beaufort, Charleston, McClellanville, Pawley's Island, Columbia, Spartenburg, and Kiawah Island.
I don't understand your logic here. Every state has its rural areas that no one's moving to; that doesn't mean that they characterize the entire state any more than Charleston or Myrtle Beach characterize SC. SC's answers to the towns you mentioned are Allendale, Hampton, Mullins, Kingstree, Bennettsville, Walterboro, Union, Whitmire, Barnwell, and on and on.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:44 PM

I'm saying that growing up here it was 99% Southern, now it's 62% Southern. That's all I'm saying... I will move on from this thread.

Oh and check out the SC has 3 of the fastest growing cities in the US thread.... It's not folks from down south moving here.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:06 PM

People form other areas of the south do move to South Carolina. Employers generally recruit southern colleges for new grads

Old 03-29-2014, 10:56 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I'm saying that growing up here it was 99% Southern, now it's 62% Southern. That's all I'm saying... I will move on from this thread.
How can you even quantify such a thing, much less a change? LOL.

Quote:
Oh and check out the SC has 3 of the fastest growing cities in the US thread.... It's not folks from down south moving here.
There are lots of folks from other parts of the South moving to SC, don't be fooled.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:28 PM

Survey of 2013 done by United Van Lines of where people are migrating to and from....

Looks to me everyone is leaving the north, and moving to the Carolinas, Texas, Oregon, and a few other states. Just like I mentioned in my personal experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina