Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 09:17 PM

7,103 posts, read 6,002,296 times

Advertisements

Source-The Daily Chronic

COLUMBIA, SC — A bill to allow limited medical marijuana access for children with severe epilepsy to help control their seizures was signed into law Monday by Governor Nikki Haley.

The bill, Senate Bill 1035, will allow children with severe epilepsy to use cannabidiol oil (CBD oil), a non-psychoactive concentrate derived from marijuana, to help control their seizures if recommended by their physician.

The bill will also establish a clinical trial at the Medical University of South Carolina to study the effects of cannabidiol in controlling seizures. The university will also be responsible for supplying all of the cannibidiol oil for the state program.

The bill passed unanimously in the Senate, followed by a 92-5 vote in the House a day later. The bill was ratified Thursday, and the Governor signed the bill into law Monday.

The bill would also set up a committee to study the feasibility of growing the marijuana strains from which CBD oil is extracted in South Carolina. Those strains are high in CBD content but low in THC, the component of marijuana that has psychoactive properties.

However, that would require the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to reclassify CBD oil, as the cannabis plant remains a Schedule I controlled substance by the federal government, despite over 30 states and the nation’s capital having enacted laws to allow some form of medical marijuana.

In addition to South Carolina, several other states – Alabama, Iowa, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee, Utah, and Wisconsin – have enacted similar CBD-only medical marijuana bills this year. The Missouri legislature has also passed a similar bill, and is awaiting action by Governor Jay Nixon, who is expected to sign the bill sometime this month.

In addition, 22 states and the District of Columbia have passed comprehensive medical marijuana laws, yet the federal government maintains that marijuana is a Schedule I drug, meaning it has no medicinal value.

They still have some hurdles to get over, like where to grow the Cannabis, and if importing it, how to legally transport it across state lines (which is currently illegal). But this paves the way for medical cannabis in SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 09:28 PM

21,025 posts, read 27,328,282 times
Although medical Cannabis may be on its way to being legal in South Carolina, classified as a schedule I drug, it will face roadblocks by the Food and Drug Administration and the South Carolina Board of Pharmacy. Cannabis, if ever available, would be available at specific specialty pharmacies.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:32 PM

I was listening in on the debate today about it, the example used for the case of CBD oil was a little girl that suffers over 200 seizures per day and with the use of the oil, it brings the amount of her seizures down to a manageable 40 per day. She will never have a normal life, but if the medical properties of this oil (which has no THC) then I'm all for it. I don't think this law has anything to do with legalizing marijuana, but does leave the door cracked I suppose.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:05 AM

3,594 posts, read 4,367,454 times
It's just nuts. Stop dancing around the subject and just move it off Schedule 1 and get on with life. Currently 23 states and DC now have laws allowing some level of cannabis use.

The Feds need to fully release the use of cannabis to the states and bow out of the fight. When half the states have passed legislation in direct opposition to the Federal stance, there's an issue that needs to be addressed.

Interesting source OP.. LOL

Old 06-05-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
It's just nuts. Stop dancing around the subject and just move it off Schedule 1 and get on with life. Currently 23 states and DC now have laws allowing some level of cannabis use.

The Feds need to fully release the use of cannabis to the states and bow out of the fight. When half the states have passed legislation in direct opposition to the Federal stance, there's an issue that needs to be addressed.

Interesting source OP.. LOL
LOL... Ummm, well, it's a good thing to be "well read" like my mama said right?

Judge Jim Gray on The Six Groups Who Benefit From Drug Prohibition - YouTube

Judge Jim Gray is spot on when it comes to ending prohibition.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:21 AM

Reason Magazine - Video Game Nation

Another interesting read about ending prohibition...

Old 06-05-2014, 02:40 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,413,746 times
Ive never smoked and never will. But its just plain stupid that weed is even illegal. Its only illegal because politicians decades ago were lobbied by the tobacco industry to make it illegal. And they did it.

Its far less damaging to society than alcohol.
And, in my opinion, not much worse than cigarettes. The ONLY thing weed is worse than cigarettes with is that you can drive with cigarettes and be ok, but you cant drive high. Same as with alcohol.

Absolutely no reason why weed should be treated any different than beer.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Ive never smoked and never will. But its just plain stupid that weed is even illegal. Its only illegal because politicians decades ago were lobbied by the tobacco industry to make it illegal. And they did it.

Its far less damaging to society than alcohol.
And, in my opinion, not much worse than cigarettes. The ONLY thing weed is worse than cigarettes with is that you can drive with cigarettes and be ok, but you cant drive high. Same as with alcohol.

Absolutely no reason why weed should be treated any different than beer.
Ditto!

Old 06-05-2014, 08:09 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,556,249 times
I'm all for helping the kids but let's not limit this to children only. There are plenty of adults who could be helped as well. Good move SC!

Old 06-05-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I'm all for helping the kids but let's not limit this to children only. There are plenty of adults who could be helped as well. Good move SC!
We still have many hurdles to get over before there will be any medicinal cannabis in SC but this is a great first step. I'd like to see us growing it as well, it's one heck of a cash crop, the hemp can be used for many industrial purposes, and it really could vitalize some of the dying "farm" counties like Jasper and Barnwell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
View detailed profiles of: