U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 08:14 AM

873 posts, read 1,448,825 times

Advertisements

I would certainly hope this thread don't scare nobody off from considering their move to this area BUT -

I dont know if its the past winter (we had a pretty hard winter for here and a real doozey of an ice storm) or just me, but I've encountered numerous venomous snakes at my place this season - 2 copperhead and 2 cottonmouth and fortunately for me, I have seen them before I tromped right thru the same spot these guys were visiting. and in all instances, they have met with Mr12gauge. A snake encounter is always a pulse rush for sure but a meeting with a fellow with the 'arrowhead' shaped head makes one change his route or at least change his plans a little. All have been down by the gate entry at the bottom of the drive, down there by the mailbox, down there by the dirtpile (I utilize frequently when I need some dirt fill), all spots that I use all the time. and I'm pretty sure this aint the only spot they live, just the spots I am playing around. I dont go into the woods too deep during this time of year but mainly 'cause of the ticks more than snakes. These guys are super camoflauged when not moving and 'piled up', not in a crawling situation.

So yall be aware and be careful out there. It's gotten to where my Ithaca is sitting across the truckseat pretty much all the time nowadays.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 09:26 AM

2,118 posts, read 2,420,140 times
No snakes but I have seen a lot more skinks and lizards.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:14 AM

12,433 posts, read 10,986,693 times
I usually see a few snakes per year. Typically on the edges of golf courses where woods and water come together. I am not afraid of them but they can scare you yet so could a bunny rabbit that jumped out of the woods and surprised you. A snake is not looking to chase you. They want to get away from you as much as you do from them. Simply walk away.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:27 AM

On the golf course is one thing, down by the gate and mailbox is quite another. Stay on the short grass and they wont be much of a surprise but get back into their 'house' and stepping right up to them is very real. Kinda cute comparison with the bunny rabbits but no venomous bite involved.

... just sayin

Old 06-28-2014, 07:35 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,389,097 times
I've only seen 1 snake this year, and it was only a black snake crossing the trail I was biking. Typically there's a few copperhead encounters, but so far so good.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:49 AM

12,433 posts, read 10,986,693 times
I did see an Eastern Mud Snake a month or so ago. I did not know what it was. I had to look it up. It was on thme edge of a golf course by a pond..

Old 06-28-2014, 08:02 AM

730 posts, read 1,262,766 times
Haven't seen any poisonous snakes. Seen a few black and water snakes at the campground and lake. Lots of toads around my house and neighborhood, which makes me think there's little or no snake presence.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:48 AM

a youngster (5or6) was bitten by a copperhead down at a campground at ClarksHill last week or so. At the campsite, boy was wearing flipflops and got bit on the toe; its maybe an hour to the ER and he spent some days recovering but I dont think it was more than mucho swelling but maybe some skin grafts are in the future.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:26 PM

11,544 posts, read 7,381,879 times
I have seen no live one so far this year. I have seen several that didn't made it across the road before getting smashed. I believe I saw more snakes last year than at any time in my life, especially in my yard .

Old 07-01-2014, 11:57 AM

661 posts, read 1,018,742 times
None in our yard this year so far (Greer). Seen one or two flattened black rat snakes on the road and a nice 3' shed skin in our crawl space but nothing else.

Was hoping to catch one or two to play with and show the kids this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
View detailed profiles of: